Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Nonsense - contention ratio!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 brianbolger

I don't believe for a second that the rep didn't know the deal with contention rates when I asked him an honest question and was lied to. The engineer who installed it, nice though he was, was also very cagey on answering questions on speed. Talking around the subject, giving no direct answers and even looking at the ground at one point.

The product is called '25mb fibre powered broadband'. This is misleading already and then to be openly lied to during a phonecall 'that may be recorded for training purposes'. I didn't see any 'small print' given that the transaction was all done over the phone.
    I'm down to 7-10mb at peak times.

Tech savvy? Do you seriously think like that?, excusing their behaviour?
    'She was asking for it dressed like that'

Old thread? The title of this thread is fairly f@@king appropriate don't you think? Why start a new one.

In looking back through the thread, Its fairly obvious that the use of aliases here is enabling the unmannerly behaviour of some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You're confusing contention with congestion. They are two different things, but congestion is what's causing your issue.

Also, I removed the sales rep's name from your first post. Do not post people's names in public without their permission.

jor el wrote: »
    You're confusing contention with congestion. They are two different things, but congestion is what's causing your issue.

Also, I removed the sales rep's name from your first post. Do not post people's names in public without their permission.

Well the actual cause of the slower speed is not the theme of my post!! I couldn't care if its a chronic case of mice eating the cables. Its the fact I was lied to by a sales rep. Correcting me on the cause of the slow speed is kind of missing the point of my grievance. I was tooootaly misled at the point of sale and the specific cause of the slower speed is entirely beside the point.

This thread seems to be a place where folks can demonstrate their 'tech savvy' smarts as opposed to dealing with the issue of some pretty serious trickery. Missing the point leads the discussion down a cul de sac. Like this reply is waste my time for example. Time that could have been spent maybe organizing a collective submission to National Consumer Agency or the like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Well the actual cause of the slower speed is not the theme of my post!! I couldn't care if its a chronic case of mice eating the cables. Its the fact I was lied to by a sales rep. Correcting me on the cause of the slow speed is kind of missing the point of my grievance. I was tooootaly misled at the point of sale and the specific cause of the slower speed is entirely beside the point.

This thread seems to be a place where folks can demonstrate their 'tech savvy' smarts as opposed to dealing with the issue of some pretty serious trickery. Missing the point leads the discussion down a cul de sac. Like this reply is waste my time for example. Time that could have been spent maybe organizing a collective complaint to National Consumer Agency or the like?

*cough* The Barings Bank scandal was "pretty serious trickery". This rates as "mildly distracting tomfoolery"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Jumpy wrote: »
    *cough* The Barings Bank scandal was "pretty serious trickery". This rates as "mildly distracting tomfoolery"

"Mildly distracting tomfoolery" when a customer is lied to or a csr hasn't been given proper training?

Definitions in such cases always depend on perspective. I think "pretty serious trickery" is easily applicable to UPC.

Breaking their own Terms and Conditions, Comreg's specific requirements and the law in relation to the implementation of a price increase? Misleading people deliberately in relation to so called unlimited products? Exploiting the direct debit system to generate lots of money from unspecified charges?

It very serious given the amounts of people and money involved. Initiating a F@@king debate on semantics. Are you kidding me? Missing the point again here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

brianblogger..Your complaining about the slow speeds at peak times

I'm assuming your directly connected using an ethernet cable and that your not connecting through wireless connection.. when getting these slow speeds?

Could you confirm this?

You see your only painting half a picture here ..

I'm not really complaining about really slow speeds. I'm complaining about UPC deceiving me at the point of sale. How many times do I have to explain that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭chahop

I'm with UPC the last 6 months on the 20meg and now 25meg pack, and I'm downloading at full speed from private torrent sites any time day or night never a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Brian, I think people here arent taking this as seriously as you would like to because if you knew enough about contention / congestion to ask in the first place then you would also be aware that no ISP network in existence is devoid of the issue yet you still went to take the product regardless and knew in advance you'd kick up a storm after?

Just drawing logical conclusions on what youve told us so far and it kinda makes it hard to empathize?

NB- Im not re-leaving the sales guy of not knowing his stuff in anyway. Thats a disgrace for the record.

Also , dragging up half a year old threads is not kosher even if the title is relevant or not. You cant guarantee the relevance of old information in such a thread and could lead to confusion if info has changed in the meantime hence the correct COA would be to start your own thread. Just fyi. :)

Advertisement