Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spare a thought for Barry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

SkepticOne wrote: »
    That was a huge PR disaster for the unions wasn't it when the roads to the North were blocked on the day of the strike. It didn't help either when some trade union official in Donegal later tried to organise buses for public sector workers to shop over the border.

There was no proof that the queues on the M1 were caused by Puclic sector strikerson shopping sprees. In truth it was probably people on a day trip because the kids were off school

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

To Johnny Rotten

There is no proof to say the queues werent cause by the public sector also. Out of the 30 people i know in the public sector they all went north that day.

My salary has gone form 50,000 to 40,000 in a year but happy i have a job.

And can public servants stop mentioning the levy, yes you lost a small percentage of your salary but your pension lost nothing, that doesnt happen in private sector when we get a pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

And can public servants stop mentioning the levy, yes you lost a small percentage of your salary but your pension lost nothing, that doesnt happen in private sector when we get a pay cut.

afraid you are wrong there, public servants have had their pensions affected, albeit in a relatively small manner...so far....we await the "pension review"!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RiskyMove;

What i said was public sector pensions were not effected by the levy. Everything else is relative as happens to all pensions.

Also pensions should not increase at the rate of a salary increase when they retire

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

What i said was public sector pensions were not effected by the levy. Everything else is relative as happens to all pensions.

everything else is relative? a nice stoic attitude

public servants now pay more for a smaller pension is the basic situation; yes there are all sorts of other arguments around that as to still getting a good deal etc; but the last year has shown how the pension and entitlements can be changed at the whim of the Government

for all the problems of the last year in the markets I'd still rather have a tangible fund I could see and monitor than have my future security in the hands of politicians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Riskymove wrote: »
    everything else is relative? a nice stoic attitude

public servants now pay more for a smaller pension is the basic situation; yes there are all sorts of other arguments around that as to still getting a good deal etc; but the last year has shown how the pension and entitlements can be changed at the whim of the Government
    Do you think that government should allow public servants invest pension levy money into private pension funds? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

All these Public sector crying about wage cuts! Tell me something, do public sector workers actually WORK?? Also if they feel so badly done by, surely they could cross orer to the Private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

AMIIAM wrote: »
    ... Tell me something, do public sector workers actually WORK?? ...

Yes.

Next question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

There was no proof that the queues on the M1 were caused by Puclic sector strikerson shopping sprees. In truth it was probably people on a day trip because the kids were off school
    Unfortunately perception is what counts here. The perception is that it was mainly public sector workers on their one day strike. Although there may well have been some private sector workers forced to take the day off, it is the public sector who are paid out of taxes imposed on the private sector. If you take the day off to shop up north that is less tax to pay public sector wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yes.

Next question?
    You ignored his next question:
    AMIIAM wrote:
    Also if they feel so badly done by, surely they could cross orer to the Private sector.
    Though, give the lack of a question mark at the end of the sentence that's understandable! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭FlashGordon1969

To Johnny Rotten

There is no proof to say the queues werent cause by the public sector also. Out of the 30 people i know in the public sector they all went north that day.

My salary has gone form 50,000 to 40,000 in a year but happy i have a job.

How do you know 30 people in Public sector? (a bit hard to believe) and you also expect us to believe you polled them and they didnt give you a flippant response??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

Riskymove wrote: »
    but the last year has shown how the pension and entitlements can be changed at the whim of the Government

That is a very important point. After what this government has done in the last 18 months to public sector pay and pensions. Trust in anything they say is significantly damaged.

I have another 33 years to go before i retire and god knows what income or pension i will get then or if i will not be made redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

changes wrote: »
    I have another 33 years to go before i retire and god knows what income or pension i will get then or if i will not be made redundant.

welcome to the real world.....

what makes you think anything can be guaranteed or promised to you 30 years hence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭FlashGordon1969

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Unfortunately perception is what counts here. The perception is that it was mainly public sector workers on their one day strike. Although there may well have been some private sector workers forced to take the day off, it is the public sector who are paid out of taxes imposed on the private sector. If you take the day off to shop up north that is less tax to pay public sector wages.

I know a guy from Newry-said its always busy.

woodseb wrote: »
    welcome to the real world.....

what makes you think anything can be guaranteed or promised to you 30 years hence?

I don't and never really did. I worked 4 years on a temporary contract before my permanent postion came up. I had a mortgage for the 3rd and 4th year of this. I know well the worry of not feeling secure in your employment.

How many times have you heard the following when refering to the public sector .... you have guaranteed jobs, can't be made redundant, guaranteed pensions etc.

All i'm saying is it could all change at the stroke of a fianna fail vote hungry pen.

Thanks woodseb. These pampered public servants have got to awaken to reallity. They have been grossly overpaid for whatever work they claim to actually do. I do not consider drinking tea/coffee, intertwined with their smoke breaks as working!! I believe the more energetic ones press computer keys now and then to convince their also overpaid orerseers that they really are worth their salary. I sincerely hope Brian Lenihan sorts them out once and for all with his next budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I do not consider drinking tea/coffee, intertwined with their smoke breaks as working!!

I think you'll find that the proportion of smokers in the private sector is higher.

I don't and never really did. I worked 4 years on a temporary contract before my permanent postion came up. I had a mortgage for the 3rd and 4th year of this. I know well the worry of not feeling secure in your employment.

How many times have you heard the following when refering to the public sector .... you have guaranteed jobs, can't be made redundant, guaranteed pensions etc.

All i'm saying is it could all change at the stroke of a fianna fail vote hungry pen.

As I said welcome to the real world, or at least a semi-reality where your job could be lost in the event of a unlikely and massive change in government policy

I think you are a long way away from adding job security to the growing list of PS moans

Thanks woodseb. These pampered public servants have got to awaken to reallity. They have been grossly overpaid for whatever work they claim to actually do. I do not consider drinking tea/coffee, intertwined with their smoke breaks as working!! I believe the more energetic ones press computer keys now and then to convince their also overpaid orerseers that they really are worth their salary. I sincerely hope Brian Lenihan sorts them out once and for all with his next budget.
    ardmacha wrote: »
    I think you'll find that the proportion of smokers in the private sector is higher.

i don't think either of ye are adding anything constructive.....

So much for my answering your question about whether public servants actually work!

• Advertisement

I think you are a long way away from adding job security to the growing list of PS moans

I think the real moaning is done by the begrudgers who cant abide people having relatively secure jobs and regular pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I worked 4 years on a temporary contract before my permanent postion came up. I had a mortgage for the 3rd and 4th year of this.

I thought banks wouldn't give mortgages on temporary contracts? Anybody any info on this

Still awaiting your answer PB. Looks like Public sectors approach to what is regarded as WORK????? is totally in conflict with private sector. In my opinion the majority of workers in a privately run company have to earn their keep, or they are fired! This is not the case with the mollycuddled public sector. Aren't the dummies they have on board not assigned to keeping the tea urn in working order?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I thought banks wouldn't give mortgages on temporary contracts? Anybody any info on this

The problem was that a couple of years ago the banks were giving our mortgages to anyone who had a pulse.
    Aren't the dummies they have on board not assigned to keeping the tea urn in working order?

The modern public service worker prefers a double shot latte.

Still awaiting your answer PB...

???

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

I believe the more energetic ones press computer keys now...
    Tell me something, do public sector workers actually WORK??
    Yawn...

apparently no one teaches your kids, purifies the water, repairs the roads, collects the bins, collects your taxes, lectures to the university students, arrest criminals and so on and on and on.

What a bunch of chancers that public sector are. they should work for free and be happy about it!

The fact of the matter is that the more the public sector get bashed by the likes of you the more they will feel that they have to dig in and defend their position. if the bashing stopped (media wide, not just here because it's not important here) I'd bet willingness to engage in industrial action would wane.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

Funny thing about this... Take your average 35 year old. They've been encouraged to have a pension (forced to in the public service, though that might sound funny to some here) and what is it really for?

does anyone here think that anyone is going to be allowed to retire at 65 in thirty years time? Even 20 years? We are all living longer and there's a pension crisis as it is today.

Trust me, pension jealousy by anyone under the age of 45 is unwarranted... there won't be pensions in the future just loads of everyone's money put in the stock market to keep it going.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

"I am a low- to middle-ranking civil servant and I cannot afford these cuts to my remuneration.
    I took out a mortgage on an apartment in Dublin in 2006 at a cost of €375,000"

low - middle ranking earner gets a 375k mortgage.
    That is mad!!
    I would expect someone getting a mortgage that huge to be earning over 90k a year.

He possibly lacks some basic common sense...

Beardy, Get real. As long as the Irish public sector think they have a god given right to hold their fellow Irish taxpayers to ransom, they will be slated. And rightly so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

Beardy, Get real. As long as the Irish public sector think they have a god given right to hold their fellow Irish taxpayers to ransom, they will be slated. And rightly so!

its you who needs to get real mate :rolleyes:
    been at the sunday red tops again have we?

Your attitude stinks.

Advertisement