Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

H.Dip in education.

• 03-02-2010 4:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

So I have my 2.1 degree in a business related course giving me(I think 42 points). this means i will have have to do a lot of teaching practice before I apply in december. just wondering how many hours do people reckon I will have to do and are there any other ways of building up teaching practice hours apart from subbing.i.e TEFL, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Teaching hours dont count towards points for the PAC from 2011 onwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

You'll have to do a masters to get 6 points or else apply to University of Limerick, Trinity College or DCU which are not points based. However you'll be up against ones with experience in the interview.

You could do the PGCE in England. You can apply for that now on GTTR

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Is the PGCE in England recognized to teach secondary school in Ireland do?

jdooley28 wrote: »
    Is the PGCE in England recognized to teach secondary school in Ireland do?

some are. some are not. generally the 11 - 16 ones are questionable. the 11 - 18 are safer but maybe not guaranteed. i think there's 14 - 19 ones as well.

11 - 18 are the safest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I applied under the general entry, which last year needed 41 points in UCD. Now, one of my two subjects (albeit my second) is Business. Perhaps that's a way around it.

Points requirements for 2009: http://www.pac.ie/pgdeinfo/points.php?inst=pe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭D.Mar

Dionysus how did you know you were applying for the general PGCE through PAC? Business is my second subject so I hope I'm applying through the gneral route, but it wasn't asked specifically on the form so I'm worried I'll be put into the business-related category. (would need higher points!:eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

What Dionysus might mean is that he is not a Business degree graduate which is Business is a second subject is probably the case.

I don't think it's a question of applying for the general route or the business route. Your degree decides that for you I imagine.

So what will count towards PAC points from 2011 onwards?

So what will count towards PAC points from 2011 onwards?

www.pac.ie for full details. a second degree is 3 or 4 points. a higher or graduate diploma is 3 or 4 points. one is 3, the other 4, not sure which way. a masters is 6 points and a doctorate is 10 points. none of these have to be related to your teaching subject.

for related courses a certificate is 1 point and a diploma is 2 points

EDIT: and of course your first degree which will get you the mostest points

pathway33 wrote: »
    www.pac.ie for full details. a second degree is 3 or 4 points. a higher or graduate diploma is 3 or 4 points. one is 3, the other 4, not sure which way. a masters is 6 points and a doctorate is 10 points. none of these have to be related to your teaching subject.

for related courses a certificate is 1 point and a diploma is 2 points

EDIT: and of course your first degree which will get you the mostest points

wel ill just have 42 and for a business related degree the points for 2009 wee approx 47 to qualify and will probably continue to rise. So I am running low on options already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭Trained Monkey

Do postgrads count towards points for the Hdip? I was considering doing a postgraduate course in September and possibly applying for the Hdip after this. I have only got a 2.2 degree, will it be almost impossible for me to do the Hdip or what are my options? How should I go about it?

Do postgrads count towards points for the Hdip? I was considering doing a postgraduate course in September and possibly applying for the Hdip after this. I have only got a 2.2 degree, will it be almost impossible for me to do the Hdip or what are my options? How should I go about it?

Yes for the PGDE. 10 points extra for a PhD. 6, I think, for a Masters.

DaisyPem wrote: »
    Dionysus how did you know you were applying for the general PGCE through PAC? Business is my second subject so I hope I'm applying through the gneral route, but it wasn't asked specifically on the form so I'm worried I'll be put into the business-related category. (would need higher points!:eek:)

Politics & History were my degree subjects so I applied with the intention of doing CSPE and History respectively as my two subject methodologies, with CSPE being the second.

However, the Principal in the school gave me 4 times as many business classes as CSPE (Economics was a 1st Year subject in Uni for me). He also advised me to forget about CSPE until it becomes a "serious" subject (i.e. a Leaving Cert subject). Consequently, I said this to UCD and they allowed me to take Business as my second subject.

That's the long version!

PS: I'm also teaching more Business classes than History classes. UCD accepted this also simply because this is what the Principal timetabled me for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭D.Mar

wel ill just have 42 and for a business related degree the points for 2009 wee approx 47 to qualify and will probably continue to rise. So I am running low on options already

I think that teaching will become even more popular, but I also think the points might fall once they stop counting teaching experience. Otherwise all teachers would have to have a 1st degree or a masters

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Avery

Heya

I've applied for the NUI PGDE. Just wondering about anyone's experience of the "Business quota". I have an arts degree which has Economics as one subject. Thus I qualify to teach business as a junior cert subject, but it wouldn't be one of the subjects I applied for the PGDE with. Any idea if the business quota might be applied to me? I have a decent chance going on points from the last few years if I'm not counted as a "business" candidate. I checked the listed degrees for the quota, and mine as an arts degree isn't listed. Just hoping I won't need extra points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Avery wrote: »
    Heya

I've applied for the NUI PGDE. Just wondering about anyone's experience of the "Business quota". I have an arts degree which has Economics as one subject. Thus I qualify to teach business as a junior cert subject, but it wouldn't be one of the subjects I applied for the PGDE with. Any idea if the business quota might be applied to me? I have a decent chance going on points from the last few years if I'm not counted as a "business" candidate. I checked the listed degrees for the quota, and mine as an arts degree isn't listed. Just hoping I won't need extra points!

You did a B.A. so no you are not counted as a business student.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bobo the clown

Is it possible to get H Dip with 2.2 degree

Yes.

Degree grade conversion to PGDE points: http://www.pac.ie/pgdeinfo/PointsCalc.php?inst=pe

Required points for each PGDE last year:

http://www.pac.ie/pgdeinfo/points.php?inst=pe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Do a masters! And a postgrad Diploma if you still need some more points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

get yourself qualified in another subject if at all possible. A few years ago they had to limit the numbers applying to the dip in the business area as there were too many business teachers floating around and not enough science, languages maths etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭theglobe

doc_17 wrote: »
    get yourself qualified in another subject if at all possible. A few years ago they had to limit the numbers applying to the dip in the business area as there were too many business teachers floating around and not enough science, languages maths etc.

18 months later I'm coming in with the reply. How would ya go about qualifying for another subject? I'm in the business field and its basically gone impossible now. 52 points last year and you're not even guaranteed getting accepted. Total dead end with business subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

theglobe wrote: »
    doc_17 wrote: »

18 months later I'm coming in with the reply. How would ya go about qualifying for another subject? I'm in the business field and its basically gone impossible now. 52 points last year and you're not even guaranteed getting accepted. Total dead end with business subjects.

Have a look at this thread:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056306696?page=2#post_73098083

Since you are a business teacher you will probably have done done maths and the above thread mentions a few courses that the open uni do and allows you to become registered with the teaching council to teach maths. You might need to do all 3 courses, or only the m208 one, depending on how much maths was in your undergrad degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Since this is an old thread and since you've posted in the PGDE thread I'll lock this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement