Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs.....Melbourne????

Options
  • 03-02-2010 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey hey, just wondering if theres any secrets for gettin work? been here a few weeks and been lookin for work for ages, cant seem to get anything, or any reply from anyone to boot! Qualified as an industrial designer but so far they dont want to have anything to do with you unless your permanent, same with most jobs i come across.

Is there anything other than promo work out there, or am i jsut going blind from looking at the computer screen for hours on end?????? Any help would be great.

Cheers big ears :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Hey hey, just wondering if theres any secrets for gettin work? been here a few weeks and been lookin for work for ages, cant seem to get anything, or any reply from anyone to boot! Qualified as an industrial designer but so far they dont want to have anything to do with you unless your permanent, same with most jobs i come across.

Is there anything other than promo work out there, or am i jsut going blind from looking at the computer screen for hours on end?????? Any help would be great.

Cheers big ears :D

You just have to keep trying mate sorry but it’s not as easy to find work here as some people make out.

If you can get the phone numbers for places don’t just e-mail your CV ring them and keep following people up. If you can hand deliver your CV to companies even better. You have to make them feel like they need to respond to you.

Your cover letter to go with your CV (If you’re not sending one with every application do from now on.) should be customized to each job you apply to as well.

Also try and play down the fact you are on a WHV say that you are looking at getting the skilled migrant visa and that you intend to move here long term and not just for a year.

I only got one interview over here in about a month of searching for a job but got the job from that interview.

If you don’t find a job in your field then suck it up and start applying for jobs in bars restraints and shops too or soon you’ll be out of cash and on your way home. You can always keep looking for the better jobs while working as a barman.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Woodsy-eile

Cheers Doc,

Just started getting a list together of all the possible companies i could have a chance with so gona go door to door this week, i never even thought about saying i was hoping for a skilled migrant visa so cheers for the heads up! At the moment ive already started applying for data entry and stuff like that, i dont even have any exp in bar work so that kinda screws me over!

Anyways, gotta keep on truckin i suppose! Cheers for the help tho

Woods

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

i dont even have any exp in bar work so that kinda screws me over!

Woods

Once you have the name of a pub you drank in back home and the phone number of a mate who will say he was your boss you have experience working in a bar as far as they know. Just say the place had a guy who changed all the barrels if you get the job so that’s why you don’t know how to.

Good luck anyway if you keep trying eventually you should get something!

Advertisement