Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost 6x01/02 - "LA X" - 2 hour Season Premiere (**SPOILERS WITHIN**)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

yeah there the others but why haven't they been seen on the island before, why do they never leave the Temple? Simply calling them the others doesn't explain who they are.

if u where in a room full of strangers wouldn't u at least try find out somebodys name?

on another note, why did Jacob live in exile? i know theres no answer for this yet but its something that i can't get my mind around, we're lead to believe thats his almighty leader of the island but yet he lives alone and has very little contact with his people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

We have seen them before. Back in Season 3. http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Temple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

silsean wrote: »
    Perhaps the LAX timeline is where the ending of season 6 will be. So Jack might have another atom bomb moment this season or whatever.

Anyone have an idea why Richard didn't want Locke to be shot? Besides the fact that he's superman and can repel bullets. And how did Jack loose his ability to punch and become a pusher?

I was thinking myself could this "Alternate" timeline end up being the result of this season. I just read the interview on EW with Doc Jensen and they don't like to call it alternate - as if one is wrong while the other is right. What if both happen but not parrallell to each other, rather in a linear form. It may be part of the debatable ultimate ending of the show.

I think Richard didn't want them to shoot at Locke because we've now seen what happened to those that shot at him inside the foot. It's not that it will do them no good, it's that Locke will reap revenge on them all.
    darrenh wrote: »
    Could Flocke's home be the temple? That could expain why he dragged the french dude in there. Maybe he was ousted by the other other's.

The temple maybe but another idea might be that he wants to go where Locke didn't want to go, "home".. ie where Locke is from. The outside world.
    Recent set pictures show they have built the full ajira plane that lands on the island so this will play a bigger part since it was CG before. Locke has Ben and Lapidus who know the coordinates off the island while Lapidus can still pilot the plane. It may not have been Jacob who had the Others building that landing strip, but the man in black deceptively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I thought this was very 50/50. The off-island stuff was pretty crap, and meaningless, while the on-island stuff was pretty good. The only thing of interest, but also didn't make much sense, was Desmond being on the plane but no sign of Shannon, Mike or Walt. I know that Shannon had to be written out, and the actor who played Walt is no longer a 10 year old, but it does seem odd that everyone is there except them. Then Desmond seemed to just vanish, which is also strange.

The bizarreness continues, pretty much as expected, and it continues down a path that will not lead to credible answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I thought it was incredible. Loved seeing the temple, the evil face on fake Locke, the new music, seeing the smoke monster and finding out it's the man in black.

LOL at fake Locke's "nice to see you without those chains Richard".

The spring in the temple reminded me of the place where Ben summoned the smoke monster in season 4, wonder are they connected.

Q: How does Juliet know "it worked"?

Q: How was the smoke monster able to roam the island if it is the man in black, supposedly trapped in the cabin?
    So this would then lead to the question... Who broke the ash to let him out?
    I have a vague memory of Hurley accidentally stepping on the circle of ash some time in season 4, so maybe that's how it was broken. I'm not sre if this definitely happened though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

jor el wrote: »
    Then Desmond seemed to just vanish, which is also strange.

i was on a flight over the wknd where there was spare seats on it and one of the passagers asked cud he change seat for the flight, the flight attendant told him it was fine but he'd have to be back in his orignal seat for the landing, i'm thinkin the same happened to Desmond.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Jay Ru wrote: »
    i was on a flight over the wknd where there was spare seats on it and one of the passagers asked cud he change seat for the flight, the flight attendant told him it was fine but he'd have to be back in his orignal seat for the landing, i'm thinkin the same happened to Desmond.

I'm really hope it had more meaning than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Remember back in Season 1 they found christians coffin but there was no body inside?

Could it be because his body never got on the plane?

ALso locke said at the airport they didnt lose your father they just lost his body. A bit wierd.

Anyway pretty good episode, not sure what to make of the whole alternate reality thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I don't know where everyone is getting Sayid = Jacob from. There's obviously something up with Sayid but I don't think Jacob is possessing him. What happened with Un-Locke is totally different.

Well remember Jacob was very interested in Sayid when he was lying half dead in the jungle and it was after seeing Sayid that he told Hurley to bring him to the temple. So that could either be Jacob being nice or Jacob getting himself a new body.

I'd say the theory that Sayid = Jacob is on the money, I never thought of it myself but it makes a lot of sense.

Good episode altogether, although I did see a few things coming so I'm kinda disappointed by the inability of the show to truly shock me with a twist any more. I'm stilled hooked on the ever unravelling mystery though and they're doing a great job at piling on more questions while answering only a few :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Just wanted to give my opinion on the "alternate reality" part of Lost.

The Hydrogen bomb was detonated in the 70's or whenever by Juliet. It killed everyone (Jacob included) and destroyed the Island, to an extent, which sank it to the Ocean floor. Jacob never goes to visit these people in their lives which alters their life as a result. This is the reason why the characters stories are the same but not quite. We don't know what influence Jacob had on Shannon, or Claire, or Walt, or whoever else, so we may have to assume that he originally had a hand in them getting on that plane. Therefore any of the missing characters can be explained away like this.

People seem to think that Jack knows something is wrong because of Desmond but didn't Jack meet Desmond while running the steps of a stadium? He could have been remembering this.

The theory that Sayid is Jacob is way too obvious. (therefore unlikely to be). I was surprised that people hadn't thought of this the instant he sat up. It could well be Jacob. :confused: I kinda have a theory on it myself. I think Sayid is now like Richard. He may be 'dead' but 'alive'. Richards status has never been confirmed.

As for whats going on in the "proper reality"....... Fook knows. Set off a bomb and time travel back to the future. Gimme a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Good episode ... I gave it a 7..

Allthough with this parallel timeline, its gonna be difficult to
    tie it up .... this is a show that has to be disapointing , what makes
    it so good is the mystery, so when evrything is tied up (if) ... it will be
    a letdown - proove me wrong Lindoff + Abrahams(sp?)

I find cindy being such an important other annoying ....

I feel Claire's story will be similar...

Question, if the smoke monster is Cristian how come he was off island
    in season 4 ???

remember when he appeared to Jack in the hospital ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

the_monkey wrote: »
    it so good is the mystery, so when evrything is tied up (if) ... it will be
    a letdown - proove me wrong Lindoff + Abrahams(sp?)

I find cindy being such an important other annoying ....

in season 4 ???

remember when he appeared to Jack in the hospital ?

JJ Abrams has nothing to do with Lost for years. Carlton Cuse replaced him and along with Damon Lindeloff they are the showrunners and are responsible for where the show has been going and will end.

Cindy being an Other shouldn't be annoying... she was on a list, one of Jacob's list so along with many other 815ers were taken for reasons unknown to us yet.

When Jack saw Christian there is nothing to say that Jack was just being haunted by his own inner demons and seing things, hence his self medication. He did appear to Michael on the boat so hopefully we'll get some light shed on this soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

abelard wrote: »
    I dunno what I was expecting, but it was a teeny bit disappointing for a season opener. It just seemed to lack something of the....'scale' of previous openers. A minor complaint anyway as it was still a great episode.

Funny, I think the opposite. Normally, the opening episode is fairly dull. They follow the time honoured tradition of "oooh, new person in some place, must be off island. Zomg, they are on the island and in the hatch/new Otherton/orchid" Title screen hits and the rest of the episode is not great, as it has to do the job of setting up the season, so it can only pose questions and not give any answers.

I have no idea how people say nothing was answered. There was a ton of stuff answered. Now we know for absolute 100% definite Esau is Smokey. Richard was on the Black Rock. The whereabouts of Cindy, Zack, Emma and everyone kidnapped. What the ash around Jacobs cabin was there for and we saw the Temple.

I always hated the idea of a reset. I mean I guess if they are doing parallel timelines, it's stop it being a Dallasesque cop out. I am still not hugely taken with it. I really aren't sure ultimately where this goes, or what the point will be.

As a possible explanation for the two timelines - maybe the electromagnetism has an effect similar to quantum mechanics. After Juliet hit the bomb it had equal chance of going off or not going off. Schrodinger's cat anyone? Maybe both happened.

But things aren't the same. It's not like we are seeing the same Oceanic 815. For a start Desmond was there and as for the island. I have no idea what that means.
    Or you saying everything changed after 77?

Although I must say I did enjoy the nod to the final scene of season 1 and the remix of Oceanic 815. It was not as good, but it still made me all nostalgic.

I think bringing Juliet back was a bit pointless and it seemed to just fill in a few minutes. That was the third time she died, up there with Locke and Charlie. It was obvious she was going to die as Elizabeth Mitchell is in V and the scenes with Sawyer didn't add anything on top of what we saw in the Incident imo.

It was great to see the Temple at last. I am not too fond of Ming the Merciless but maybe he will grow on me.

Star of the episode by far was Terry O'Quinn. He was absolutely amazing throughout. His monologue to Ben about John Locke was so good. Ditto, the conversation with Jack in LAX. His line to Richard et al about being very disappointed is interesting. I wonder is that a sort of judgment of them?

Overall, I think on island is set up really nicely. I will wait for off island/other reality play out. I am wary of it though.
    I'll give it an 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

is the richard "in chains" line from fake locke meant to tell us Richard was a slave on the Black Rock or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

So this would then lead to the question... Who broke the ash to let him out?

If i remember right, when Hurley went to the cabin a few seasons back, it shows him walking through the ash

• Advertisement

JJ Abrams has nothing to do with Lost for years. Carlton Cuse replaced him and along with Damon Lindeloff they are the showrunners and are responsible for where the show has been going and will end.

Cindy being an Other shouldn't be annoying... she was on a list, one of Jacob's list so along with many other 815ers were taken for reasons unknown to us yet.

When Jack saw Christian there is nothing to say that Jack was just being haunted by his own inner demons and seing things, hence his self medication. He did appear to Michael on the boat so hopefully we'll get some light shed on this soon.

Cheers, what i mean by "annoying" is the speed of her transformation,,
    not so much now for this season ... but in season 3 , it was only 20 or so days since she had been grabbed....

but sticking with season 6 ... someone made the point about Locke
    did the walkabout on this 'new' parallel timeline, i got the impression
    he was lying, it made it look like he could walk .... as Hugos+others life is different so is Lockes ... but at the end when they took him off the plane , i got the impression that this was a nod that he didn't change ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

is the richard "in chains" line from fake locke meant to tell us Richard was a slave on the Black Rock or something else?

when i first saw it it thought he meant that he was a slave to Jacob for all those years and now he is free

I think so yes, hopefully we will get a flashback on Richards life ... should be a double episode !!!! - it could also answer a ****load of q's on the history of the island....

:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Didn't D & C say in an interview that season 6 would show Richards back story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Seems like the producers have lost the run of themselves.

I gave the episode a 4, I knew the story wasnt going to contract, the actor who plays Ben stated it but I dont think they can wrap this up without pissing people off. Its back to the future on acid.

The annoying thing is having to wait to find out what they do next!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 silsean

I thought it was incredible. Loved seeing the temple, the evil face on fake Locke, the new music, seeing the smoke monster and finding out it's the man in black.

LOL at fake Locke's "nice to see you without those chains Richard".

The spring in the temple reminded me of the place where Ben summoned the smoke monster in season 4, wonder are they connected.

Q: How does Juliet know "it worked"?

Q: How was the smoke monster able to roam the island if it is the man in black, supposedly trapped in the cabin?

I have a vague memory of Hurley accidentally stepping on the circle of ash some time in season 4, so maybe that's how it was broken. I'm not sre if this definitely happened though.

The ash around the cabin might have being to keep people OUT rather than in. Who knows yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The annoying thing is having to wait to find out what they do next!

Of course you could just not bother if you hate it that much! ;)

I liked it. Not sure if the 'alternate' timeline will play out for the whole season or not.

It was good to see Hurley playing a big part again. Nice to finally have the Flock/Smokey thing confirmed. Also it's looking increasingly more likely that Richard has been on the island for centuries alright.

Anyone else think the ring of ash around the shack wasn't to keep smokey in but rather to keep him out? If that was where Jacob lived and he had moved, it would make sense then that Flock didn't know where he was and had to get Richard to show him.

And the whole Ben 'summoning' smokey previously. Did Flock just allow himself to be summoned to give Ben the impression that he was special and so play into his hands in the long game?

Most definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It must have pissed people off at the start who thought it was just a regular show with the possibility of Dinosaurs or something on the Island. Its a sci-fi orgy now. I was happy with the days when the Fukkin Polar Bear on the island was the biggest mystery. Yogi Bear could walk around the island now and I wouldn't consider it strange.

GSPfan wrote: »
    It must have pissed people off at the start who thought it was just a regular show with the possibility of Dinosaurs or something on the Island. Its a sci-fi orgy now. I was happy with the days when the Fukkin Polar Bear on the island was the biggest mystery. Yogi Bear could walk around the island now and I wouldn't consider it strange.

Probably but they all stopped watching after season 2 so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Of course you could just not bother if you hate it that much! ;)

I'm writing a letter of complaint to the producers as we speak! :pac:

Anyone remember what episode the ring of ash was around the cabin?? Gonna watch that again.

AnonoBhoy, I think Flock was setting Ben up for the crushing realization that Jacob didnt care that much about him.

Still wondering why the smoke monster kept ****ing with Mr.Eko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

sorry if it's already been covered but what are the thoughts on the red mark on Jacks neck in the corrected timeline? Is that of any relevance or did he just get that from the turbulence or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

cooker3 wrote: »
    But things aren't the same. It's not like we are seeing the same Oceanic 815. For a start Desmond was there and as for the island. I have no idea what that means.
    Or you saying everything changed after 77?
    Yes. That's when they attempted to denote the bomb. So that's when the two timelines diverge. Hence the differences. My theory is this:

The conflict last season was basically over whether they had free will (i.e. control) or whether everything was (pre)determined. There is a third possibility, however, which threatens both ideas - indeterminism or randomness. In other words, what if it was purely random whether the bomb would go off or not. A 50/50 chance of either - out of their control and out of the realm of cause and effect.

Juliet hits the bomb - it goes off.
    Juliet hits the bomb - it doesn't go off.

So both happen. The electromagnetism causes two timelines to be created in 1977.

One in which the bomb went off, wiping out the pocket of energy and preventing the Swan hatch from being built, which in turn prevented the crash. Wiping out this pocket of energy also eventually results in the island ending up at the bottom of the ocean.

And a second timeline in which the bomb did NOT go off and everything occurred as we've already seen.

It's a paradox akin to "Schrodinger's cat":

320px-Schrodingers_cat.svg.png

Yes. That's when they attempted to denote the bomb. So that's when the two timelines diverge. Hence the differences. My theory is this:

The conflict last season was basically over whether they had free will (i.e. control) or whether everything was (pre)determined. There is a third possibility, however, which threatens both ideas - indeterminism or randomness. In other words, what if it was purely random whether the bomb would go off or not. A 50/50 chance of either - out of their control and out of the realm of cause and effect.

So both happen. The electromagnetism causes two timelines to be created in 1977.

One in which the bomb went off, wiping out the pocket of energy and preventing the Swan hatch from being built, which in turn prevented the crash. Wiping out this pocket of energy also eventually results in the island ending up at the bottom of the ocean.

And a second timeline in which the bomb did NOT go off and everything occurred as we've already seen.

Nail on the head imo

You think of that yourself or have you been browsing other forums?? :D

EDIT

Except for things like Lockes positivity and Hurley believing that he was lucky. The new reality is different and not exactly as it was described in previous seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 silsean

Yeah, so it's parallell universes right? Now that i got some real confirmation on that i think i'm more excited for this season now. Que the chili peppers song for episode outro music.

I could see "They come, they fight. It always ends the same" that Esau said to Jacob last season coming into play as a final theme to this show.

What was the loop hole that lead smokie to kill Jacob by way of Ben?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dempsey wrote: »
    Nail on the head imo

You think of that yourself or have you been browsing other forums?? :D
    Hehe, thought of it myself. :D I've been nurturing this idea since July. Although I'm sure it's occurred to other people as well.

At the moment, however, it seems a lot of theories are trying to attribute the "alternate" timeline to something other than what happened in 1977, which makes no sense imo.

I actually like the idea of two timelines - it gives all the time travel hijinks of last season some meaning, which I was afraid it wouldn't have. I'm sure the writers have a plan for it. It's the final season, they ain't stupid.

I'm far more concerned about whether it will work dramatically rather than whether it will make sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Just finished watching it.
    Massively enjoyed it, 9/10 from me (only The Constant got a 10/10).
    Obviously Christian is going to play a massive part.
    Good v Evil & Parallel Universes but they've managed to tie it together in my eyes.
    Only thing I didn't like was the shoehorning in of Sho'gun & the new clan.

I can already see an alternate future where Jack gets Locke to walk in LAX time against Smoke Monster Locke killing Jack in Island time.
    I know we should only consider Locke as a vessel now but you do relate to the previous character.

I'm far more concerned about whether it will work dramatically rather than whether it will make sense.

Yeah I agree. I just, I am not sure what can be the ultimate resolution of it all. How do you satisfactorily tie up something like that. In 1 sense it almost doubles the amount of characters. How the hell do they resolve everyone in the time left?

Just spotted all the alternative reality comic con promos

There was also some interesting reflection in this episode on the idea of death and the afterlife.

As Sayid is dying he wonders where he is going and whether it might be hell. And at the end of the episode, Locke when talking of Christian differentiates between the body and the spirit. Only Christian's body was lost, he tells Jack - "How could they know where he [i.e. Christian's spirit] is?"

Then there's Juliet who on the verge of death seems to have visions (or flashes) of the other timeline.

I think they might be going somewhere with all this. Sayid was dead for quite a while. What happened to him during that time?

Also, it seems Charlie has a death-wish/suicidal tendency in this timeline. When Jack resuscitates him, Charlie says "terrific". He's not happy to be alive. An interesting reversal of what happened to him on the island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

People have been proposing the Schrodinger's at theory for a very long time:

http://www.egoplex.com/2006/05/tv-abc-lost-schroedingers-castaways.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I've given it a 10 delighted to have it back with a slight tinge of sadness that I won't have another season premier to watch next February, I like the idea of the alternative timeline I can see Jack fixing John's back looks like Sawyer might try and extort money from Hurley, great to have Charlie back, I wonder where Desmond disappeared to on the plane? Anyway can't wait for next weeks episode :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its more of an alternate dimension rather than alternate timeline.

And what an original idea. Its going to be exciting to see how they intertwine the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

Draupnir wrote: »
    People have been proposing the Schrodinger's at theory for a very long time:

http://www.egoplex.com/2006/05/tv-abc-lost-schroedingers-castaways.html

holy sh!t!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

First of all I think Irish fnas of LOST are more/better/deeper thinkers into hte whole mystery of the show than American fans.
    youngblood wrote: »
    One of Lost's biggest fans but

Does anyone else feel that Lost has just become too ridiculously convuluted at this stage that magic and alternate timelines seems like a total cop out??

You were willining to accept flash-forwards and flash-backs, so why not flash-sideways?
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    No I feel exactly the same, I'm incredibly disillusioned after watching that episode. All I can hope for is that we won't have to experience both timelines throughout the season.
    We wont... Fox and Cuse already said after the 1st third it will be 1 continous line.
    Jazzy wrote: »
    they had flash forwards, flash backs... now its flash presents :)
    Presnts = sideways... yes?
    Correcto! (any Tarrintono fans?)
    youngblood wrote: »
    Josh Hollaway who plays Sawyer was on Ellen recently and said that with only 6 episodes to film that he still hadnt a clue as to what was goin on-
    which is not really the best sign to be totally frank.
    I hope you read this... Josh Holloway only gets his script for his pieces 2 hours before filming and in the later stages of filming probably less(since they hav'nt even filmed the last few episodes I think you should rethink this point).
    I'm really surprised by some of the mixed reactions. I thought it was amazing. Totally worth the wait. I don't really know what else people were expecting. This was Lost at it's best imo.
    Agree..
    I don't know where everyone is getting Sayid = Jacob from. There's obviously something up with Sayid but I don't think Jacob is possessing him. What happened with Un-Locke is totally different.
    Its only totally different because its the opposite of 'Smokie'.. Smokie takes over bodies that arent buried. Christian was never buried, likewise Locke was never buried.
    That scene between Jack and Locke in the airport was beautifully written.
    I agree. What a scene 'Nothing is irreverrisble' made me shiver...
    Jack meanwhile appears not to have lost his faith as he did in the original timeline - he believes anything is possible.
    I believe as we can see from his reactions that he CAN remember the 'Island' stuf...
    I think this is wrong but your the second person to say this on boards.ie.. please prove me wrong... but I dont think so.
    the_monkey wrote: »
    in season 4 ???
    Because it wasn MIB?
    bossa_nova wrote: »
    If i remember right, when Hurley went to the cabin a few seasons back, it shows him walking through the ash
    I actually am adamant that he didnt walk through the ash.....

I love this theory, who is to say that if I had not have walked down O'Connell Street instead of Henry Street, that I would be here on my laptop now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I apologise if I come across really defensive but I think there is more to LOST than the 1st or even at times the 2nd layer of skin.

They really have created a world in which somethings will never be answered, and if you proveme wrong I will give you Kudo's but as of yet there is nothing wrong or right about any of it. ( like religion? maaaybe) hehe....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I really wish people would stop complaining when things get a bit weird on Lost. We've known from the very start that that there's a supernatural side to the show so why get so annoyed when there's unexplained events? Lost is brilliant. Apart from the very odd anomaly, they have managed to tie everything very well together and in my mind have had a good idea of end game, give or take a few facts.

It seems when Juliet set off the bomb, at the exact same time, the time jumping anomaly kicked in and they all jumped forward, more violently then usual because of the electromagnetic activity. At the same time though, the bomb destroyed the Island and created the new timeline.

Desmond on the plane has to be something the Island cooked up. He showed up beside Jack and then wasn't there. In that timeline of course he could be on the plane as the Island didn't exist anymore so he would never have been on the island pressing the button.

Jacob taking over Said doesn't make much sense as Locke has been taken over by Jacob's nemesis but Lockes body is still there. If there is a 3rd party though, he could have taken over Jack's Dad while alive and the reason Jacob needed an actual Dead body was because he was 'dead' himself.

Charlie must have been dead too when he hit the island after choking on the drugs but was resurrected. This will probably have repercussions.

Overall, I loved the new episodes. Pure Lost. Bring it on :)

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/02/02/lost-premiere-damon-carlton/
    LINDELOF wrote:
    Right out of the gate, in the first five minutes of the premiere, you get hit over the head with two things that you’re not expecting. The first is that Desmond is on the plane. The second thing that we do is we drop out of the plane and we go below the water and we see that the Island is submerged. What we’re trying to do there is basically say to you, “God bless the survivors of Oceanic 815, because they’re so self-centered, they thought the only effect [of detonating the bomb] was going to be that their plane never crashes.” But they don’t stop to think, “If we do this in 1977, what else is going to affected by this?” So that their entire lives can be changed radically. In fact, it would appear that they’ve sunken the Island. That’s our way of saying, “Keep your eyes peeled for the differences that you’re not expecting.” Some of these characters were still in Australia, but some weren’t. Shannon’s not there. Boone actually says that he tried to get her back. There are all sorts of other people that we don’t see. Where’s Libby? Where’s Ana Lucia? Where’s Eko? These are all the things that you’re supposed to be thinking about. When our characters posited the “What if?” scenario, they neglected to think about what the other effects of potentially changing time might be and we’re embracing those things.

As pointed out earlier

I think this explains alot tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

If we're going to talk about awfully gash season openers, then I vote "A tale of Two cities" from Season 3. Besides the revelation of the others in pretty houses, with muffins and book clubs, it was all a bit terribly dull.

Reading through alot of peoples reviews here tonight, some positive and some negative, about what I expected to be honest. The shouting for more answers is starting to annoy me tbh, we're down to the nitty gritty of the fundamental mysteries of the show here, relax! There's a few more episodes to go, they can fit it in through drama rather than have Jacob sit everyone down in a room with maps and diagrams explaining how every single little thing works on the show.

This is a big moment for the island and it's inhabitants, and I think we will learn ( the Losties and viewers together )as a change happens, what the nature of the island and Jacob/MIB is/are.

I rewatched the 5 seasons of the show recently, and you'd be surprised now how little leaves you wondering. But you have to watch it again I find. Hpothesising over every little inisignificant detail from episode to episode will leave you feeling frustrated and disappointed. There's 16 more episodes to go, and Darlton have'nt let me down yet.

I liked the episode, gave it an 8.
    -1 for feeling a bit Indiana Jones / Aztec world Crystal Maze-ish.
    -1 I love the music on Lost, and Giachinno put together a great score over the years, but it's all a bit over-kill now with the screechy strings and DUN! DUN! DUN! DUN!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

did anyone else think Sayid's voice sounded different when he was revived? sounding more like Naveen Andrew's real life accent, this could be a ridiculous question might be poor sound quality I was hearing? Just thought it sounded different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

shineon23 wrote: »
    did anyone else think Sayid's voice sounded different when he was revived? sounding more like Naveen Andrew's real life accent, this could be a ridiculous question might be poor sound quality I was hearing? Just thought it sounded different.

I thought that. At the very least Im assuming Sayid is an other now. Brought back to life in the Temple, you'll "never be the same again" as Richard said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

I'm 99% sure Hurely scuffed the ash at the cabin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Until I visited this thread I felt that it might not actually be a parallel timeline; rather, it was still linear and Oceanic landing in LAX was the new future that the 1977 gang created. Of course the hole in my own theory was that the island was under water in 2004 and still there in 2007 so it can't really be linear. The above links, interviews with Lindelof and Cuse etc seem to indicate as much too, so parallel it is!

As for how it'll resolve - well Matthew Fox said in an interview with the RTE Guide that towards the end of the season it'll
    only be one timeline, everything will be on-island. So maybe it will culminate in the middle of the season rather than the end.

I'm actually a little disappointed that we got confirmation of the MIB being the smoke monster. I actually wouldn't have minded if we never got a conclusive answer about what it was, it had a really cool mystique about it. It begs the question though: if smokey made an appearance as early as the pilot, but Hurley only disrupted the ash later in the series, how was it/he roaming around up to that point?

Also, bit of continuity, anyone else wondering how the hole at the Swan seemed fairly shallow? The shot of Juliette falling at the end of S5 made it seem like an abyss, yet Sawyer seemed to only hop down a few feet to get to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

That was fairly good. Back with a bang. Had a feeling Sayid was gonna come back but it was brilliantly executed right at the end of the episode. Also great the way they knitted together both realities.

9/10
    I thought the same. Did he come back as Jacob? Just a feeling I had watching it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Great episode. True Lost. We got lots of answers and there are more questions now. Can't wait to find out about Richard. When I saw the pool I thought of the Fountain of Youth. Now that Jacob is gone its not effective, it changed colour and the Japanese leader testing it with his cut hand.

We have seen those Others before in previous episodes walking through the jungle. The must generally stay in and near the Temple to protect it and guard it in case the unthinkable (Jacob dying) happens and Smokie comes back. The rest of the Others protect the rest of the island and Richard seems to be the one who communicated between the two groups (bringing young Ben in there).
    LFCFan wrote: »
    Desmond on the plane has to be something the Island cooked up. He showed up beside Jack and then wasn't there. In that timeline of course he could be on the plane as the Island didn't exist anymore so he would never have been on the island pressing the button.
    Desmond was special in the original timeline. I wonder if he still is and can somehow 'see' both timelines.
    LFCFan wrote: »
    Charlie must have been dead too when he hit the island after choking on the drugs but was resurrected. This will probably have repercussions.
    I'm pretty sure that in a previous episode (probably Charlie's from season 1) that he dropped the drugs in the toilet and then the plane started to fall towards the island so he went back to his seat. As in Dempsey post things in the new timeline have changed so now he's trying to kill himself.
    I thought that as well.

Nit picking here, but didn't the electromagnetic force pull the plane off course by 1000 miles? So how could the island have been directly been under the planes flight path in the new timeline? Unless they moved the island between 1977 and 2004 to stop Dharma coming back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement