Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost 6x01/02 - "LA X" - 2 hour Season Premiere (**SPOILERS WITHIN**)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I really liked the episode. Didn't think it was meh at all. I was pleased to see my hunch about UnLocke being the smoke monster was right. It should be interesting to see where they go with it now.

Just on the characters and their roles, I may be in the minority here but I am really liking Jack of late. I've always been a fan but he was really put through the mill in this episode and I sympathised with him. Conversely, and again I may be in the minority here but Sawyer really pissed me off in this episode. I've never been a big Sawyer fan but his bitterness towards Jack really irritated me.

I'm not yet sure about the alternate timeline. I'll reserve judgement for now.

As for Sayid, they mentioned beforehand that the water appeared different. Is there a chance that the Man in Black is now in Sayid's body. Then again on the other hand, Richard told Kate and Sawyer that Ben's innocence would be lost if they saved him so perhaps the change to the water means Sayid will be more innocent? Maybe even have aspects of Jacob?

Ah so many questions. Great to have it back though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Axwell wrote: »
    That area where Jin was is still the outer wall, where Smokey was. As far as im concerned the temple is the actual building that the fountain is in where Jack etc are now. The other part is just an outer wall which is where Smokey floats around as its as close to the temple as he can get at the minute.

OK , and this is why he was there last season when Ben went to be judged ???

didn't he mention in that episode, "we are not going into the temple, just under it ??? "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just on the characters and their roles, I may be in the minority here but I am really liking Jack of late. I've always been a fan but he was really put through the mill in this episode and I sympathised with him. Conversely, and again I may be in the minority here but Sawyer really pissed me off in this episode. I've never been a big Sawyer fan but his bitterness towards Jack really irritated me.

I've always liked Jack, don't really understand where the hate comes from. As for Sawyer, his actions are understandable considering he lost someone he loved.

The saddest thing from the episode has to be when Flocke talks about Locke. "Now isn't that just the saddest thing you ever heard?" i have so much sympathy for Locke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

tok9 wrote: »
    The saddest thing from the episode has to be when Flocke talks about Locke. "Now isn't that just the saddest thing you ever heard?" i have so much sympathy for Locke

Yeah I agree with you. I still feel Locke will have a heroic part to play by the end though I'll admit part of my belief is based on my own personal hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

I've always liked Jack, don't really understand where the hate comes from.

In every day life people dislike "heroes" like Jack. These Heroes tend to be know all's and think they are always right. Thats why most people hate Jack. Lots like Sawyer because he's a "charming rouge".

If I was writing Lost I'd set smokey on him, but luckily for everyone I'm not!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yeah I agree with you. I still feel Locke will have a heroic part to play by the end though I'll admit part of my belief is based on my own personal hope.

I don't think I'd want him to. I don't want Lost to become like Heroes, I think it would lose a lot of credibility if loopholes were found for characters to come back, so you didn't really take it too seriously when someone died. The twist at the end of S5 that Locke wasn't really Locke was so profound because it made you realise that he really was gone. As the episode goes, Dead is Dead :)

Still, as long as the MIB keeps up the appearance of Locke and we have the alternate timeline, we'll have plenty of Terry O' Quinn so I'm happy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I actually laughed when Sawyer kicked Jack. It's a bit childish, but I can never get enough of seeing Jack beaten and bloodied for all his arrogant behaviour in the first four seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I don't know where everyone is getting Sayid = Jacob from. There's obviously something up with Sayid but I don't think Jacob is possessing him. What happened with Un-Locke is totally different.

I agree. The fact that he said "What Happened" tells me it's not Jacob. I know it's not alot to go on but doesn't seem very Jacob. I cant imagine that they would get rid of the original actor who plays/played Jacob. I think we will see Jacob as "visions" for the time being.
    That scene between Jack and Locke in the airport was beautifully written. Alt-Locke is different. Unlike the old Locke this Locke went on his walkabout. He seems much more at peace with himself, accepting of being in a wheelchair. Jack meanwhile appears not to have lost his faith as he did in the original timeline - he believes anything is possible.
    Yes even Hurley seemed a bit more positive. I wasnt sure if he was being sarcastic to Sawyer on the plane when he said "Im the luckiest guy in the world" but I think all the Losties seem to be more "positive" in this timeline. With the exception of Charlie of course who wanted to die, maybe because he died on the island.
    The island being underwater in the ALT is fascinating. My first thought was Atlantis. I don't think the island is Atlantis but the writers may be borrowing some ideas for their own story. Atlantis also had Egyptian connections and (like Lost island) had a volcano which eventually sunk it. Or so the story goes.

Ha I actually thought the same. Some seem to think that the Losties will end up back on the island in this alternative timeline. But I dont think that's possible.

I think Jacks cut on his neck will serve some significance somehow. Also, it would seem the others know about Jacks relation to Christian (when they called Jack before Sayid woke up).

People seem to think that Esau/Bad Locke was locked in the cabin. But wouldn't it be possible that Jacob lived in the cabin and the ash around the cabin was protecting him from Esau?

Im still waiting for the episode when Jack meets Christian on the island. Will it ever happen?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Gave it an 8. They were loyalty points though: I watched the entire episode thinking, "I don't want to think this is **** but I can't help myself!!"

However, every time I've been convinced that they've been making it up as they go along, they've won me back over. So I'm not even going to bother theorising anymore...I just want to sit back for the next 16 weeks and enjoy it all.

Though, in the opening scene, when they went underwater I couldn't help but hum, "Under the sea..." to myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I agree, watching his death scene in the life and death of Bentham takes on a whole new light after the season 5 finale. His story is so tragic.
    We still get Terry O'Quinn though. I know I said it already but I was blown away with his performance. He really gives off an menacing air as Flocke. It's look like season 6 is going to feature a lot of him and I for 1 can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Is Saaid(sp) now smokey as the water was not clear at the temple where he was dipped as the smoke was in it and now he wakes up just like the fake Locke?

This. This is the reason this show has turned terrible. It's basically "okay this is really confusing and a bit crap but I'll go online afterwards and people will tell me what actually happened".

- now we have an alternate parralel universe? oh jeez, that's great. And what did we learn about it? Nothing really other than "hey look, boone/charlie is back for a bit!"

- bringing juliette back to life for 10 mins to kill her? pointless

- killing sayid only to bring him back 10 mins later? pointless

I don't care for a whole new group of others and their leader and finding all about their motives, and I hate shang tsung leader dude and his bespectacled mate too. Very very very disappointed, I wasn't the biggest fan of season 5 but watched tonight with an open mind and now I'm not sure if I'll make it through the season

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ha I actually thought the same. Some seem to think that the Losties will end up back on the island in this alternative timeline. But I dont think that's possible.
    In their own timeline, no. But I can definitely see "Alt-Locke" arriving in the "original" timeline. It would be a very effective way of bringing Locke back without resurrecting him.
    People seem to think that Esau/Bad Locke was locked in the cabin. But wouldn't it be possible that Jacob lived in the cabin and the ash around the cabin was protecting him from Esau?
    But Jacob didn't need protection from Esau. Esau needed a loophole (Ben) in order to kill him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

actually the more i think Sayid is Jacob the more i am unsure. Flocke didn't take over Lockes body so why would Jacob have to take over Sayids?

I don't think so either.
    There seems to be a parallel beteen when little Ben was shot by Sayid. He was taken to Richard who, I assume, took Ben to the temple for a similar ceremony.
    Maybe Sayid is to be the new leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just finished watching and I really enjoyed it. One point docked for the crap CGI and for Juliet dying (just because I think she's hot!) :D.

Apart from the CGI, it was vintage Lost for me. Great twists, great acting and deilightfully confusing and mysterious.

Anyhow a few observations remarks.

Why, have people here on boards given it low scores complaining about it not revealing enough. This is LOST. You have watched 104 episodes and you expect answers in ep 105 & 106 whilst they are still 16 episodes to go. I am convinced that the writers knew exactly what they were at from the very start, padded it out in S1 & 2 as they didn't know how many seasons they had but since the confirmation of 6 seasons it has been fantastic. I'm sure at the end it will all make sense.

I don't think there is a parallel universe story going on, simply because afaik parallel universes will also have the same time. Bear in mind the original flight was in 2004, whilst all the people on the island, who are now all on the same timeline are now in 2007 as we know the Oceanic Six went back after 3 years. I really think they are showing us how the season will end. The island underwater and the plane landing in LAX.

In the earlier seasons we saw Smokey defending the temple. I think that is his 'home' and Jacob subsequently took over the temple and now his people are in it.

I wonder if there is more significance to Jack's father's name being 'Christian' than people realise.

How did Flocke know what John Locke was thinking when he died?

Think Desmond is very important to the whole thing and his appearance on the flight has me stumped.

Also, Jack's hair was different on plane as to how it was in S1 and he looked older, his conversation with Rose was reversed, think that is important.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season. Can't wait for all the answers to be revealed but also don't want it to end as I don't know what I'll watch when it's finished!

Just wish people would just enjoy the show, you are on a journey so enjoy the ride and don't get off till the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Is Saaid(sp) now smokey as the water was not clear at the temple where he was dipped as the smoke was in it and now he wakes up just like the fake Locke?

No.
    I still feel Locke will have a heroic part to play by the end though I'll admit part of my belief is based on my own personal hope.

From the very start, there was the idea that Locke was someone special, he accepted their situation, he accepted the island and all it's doing, and he seemed to know there was some purpose to everything. Then, they just kill him off as he's inconsequential. That, was probably the sh*ttiest thing the writers have done in the entire show, and it will take a lot to justify why they did it.
    There seems to be a parallel beteen when little Ben was shot by Sayid. He was taken to Richard who, I assume, took Ben to the temple for a similar ceremony.

When Ben was taken to be healed, Richard warned that he would change. I (and lots of others) assumed this is what made Ben so single-minded. Is Sayid to change now? I actually thought he might be Jacob reincarnated when I was watching it too, so it's nice to see others had that same thought. Whatever it is, I do think he won't be the same as before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

jor el wrote: »

When Ben was taken to be healed, Richard warned that he would change. I (and lots of others) assumed this is what made Ben so single-minded. Is Sayid to change now? I actually thought he might be Jacob reincarnated when I was watching it too, so it's nice to see others had that same thought. Whatever it is, I do think he won't be the same as before.

It was my first thought too, but then I remembered little Ben.
    Although, Little Ben didn't actually die...to our knowledge.

I was actually just wondering about what Richard said.
    Can't remember the exact line but thought it was something like 'there'll be no going back'...whatever the hell that means.

Maybe the temple water gives you an evil streak.

Ben was nice before going in.

Maybe the MIB, was in that water too and became evil.

Let's see if Saaid become nasty now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

ixoy wrote: »
    but I can never get enough of seeing Jack beaten and bloodied for all his arrogant behaviour in the first four seasons.

Yeah saving people left right and center, the bloke everyone went to for help, took control when everyone else was thinking of themselves, saving countless lives.... what a prick. I genuinely think the writers are a bit bamboozled as to why people don't like Jack so much and are really beating up on him to elicit more sympathy for him as a character. Jaysus he's had a rough time of it recently.

Really really enjoyed the episode, haven't liked an episode that much in ages. Especially the parallel time-line stuff. The scene with Jack and Locke was an all time great, they really captured the characters in a way we hadn't seen since the 1st season. And it was nice to actually like Locke again (the real character who acted arrogantly for 4 seasons.) I thought while he was talking to Boone he would stand up but they double bluffed us. The when Jack asked Locke why he was in a wheelchair it was one of those moments where something just clicks in to place like they planned it all along....
    From the very start, there was the idea that Locke was someone special, he accepted their situation, he accepted the island and all it's doing, and he seemed to know there was some purpose to everything.
    He was special in the same way a suicide bomber thinks he's special. I do think he will get to be the hero in some way by the end but he was blinded by the hope/faith that he was important.
    Only Jack remembers? why Jack?
    I'm pretty positive that Jack does not remember the island. Maybe for a split second he sensed something different but that is it. Why would he ask Desmond if he knew him from somewhere then? He asked because they had met in the stadium previously, and that's it.
    Schrodinger's cat anyone? Maybe both happened.
    They are doing that in Flashforward so perhaps not. (oddly the theory was explained in it by Charlie (Dominic Monaghan)

Anyone else gone far beyond pissed off with the "sad" music theme now?

I wonder where Desmond vanished to on the plane? Was he even on the plane? Did he see someone he knew? Or did he simply find Jack as boring as everyone else seems to and move seats?

I have no idea what Christians coffin disappearing might mean, it could have just been a way to bring Jack and Locke together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

From the very start, there was the idea that Locke was someone special, he accepted their situation, he accepted the island and all it's doing, and he seemed to know there was some purpose to everything. Then, they just kill him off as he's inconsequential. That, was probably the sh*ttiest thing the writers have done in the entire show, and it will take a lot to justify why they did it.

Yeah Locke was special. He was the 'loophole'. How special can someone be? :D

The very reason you hate it is the reason I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Yeah Locke was special. He was the 'loophole'. How special can someone be? :D

The very reason you hate it is the reason I love it.

I thought Ben was the loophole. Flocke (the Main In Black who looks like Locke) cant kill jakob so he convinces Ben to decide for himself to do it. Thats the loophole isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wonder where Desmond vanished to on the plane? Was he even on the plane? Did he see someone he knew? Or did he simply find Jack as boring as everyone else seems to and move seats?

If this wasn't Lost, I'd say Desmond may have just went back to his original seat because the guy he was sitting beside woke up (if I remember correctly, the guy he was sitting beside was snoring or something).

However, this is Lost, so chances are Desmond is a time-travelling Egyptian smoke monster/polar bear hybrid with a Dharma label on his ass

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I thought Ben was the loophole. Flocke (the Main In Black who looks like Locke) cant kill jakob so he convinces Ben to decide for himself to do it. Thats the loophole isnt it?

I suppose it was a combination. He needed someone like Locke that people would believe could become a leader and he needed someone like Ben who he could manipulate into killing Jacob.

Although it's interesting the way just before he was stabbed it seemed like Jacob provoked Ben deliberately.

Is it something along the lines of he knows he has to die and come back in order to finally win and prove he's right to the MiB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Dubdude

I think both episodes wer great and really enjoyed it.

I also think that ben has always been working with smokey, when you think about it, ben went and killed locke, but then when he was trying to get everyone back on the plane to go back to the island he said everyone must return including locke, then when ben is visited by locke (which is smokey) after the plane crash ben says your alive, as if he knew smokey was going to take lockes body. They then go off to jacob and he gets ben to do the dirty work again and kill him and while smokey kills the guys that went in to see jacob ben remains unharmed. There is a lot more to ben and smokey....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod Warning

Guys, I've added spoilers to two reported posts in this thread (which was great fun, since I haven't seen this episode yet).

Starting next week, if anyone posts something on thread along the lines of "I read in an interview that xxxxx happens this season" or "I read on a website that Lindelof and Cuse said this happens later this season", there will be bans handed out. Lost fans are fanatical about the show, and don't want to read ANY SPOILERS WHATSOEVER about whats coming up (especially this season).

I'll add this as a warning to the Lost charter incase the offending people don't see this (you know who you are) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Dubdude wrote: »
    I also think that ben has always been working with smokey, when you think about it, ben went and killed locke, but then when he was trying to get everyone back on the plane to go back to the island he said everyone must return including locke, then when ben is visited by locke (which is smokey) after the plane crash ben says your alive, as if he knew smokey was going to take lockes body. They then go off to jacob and he gets ben to do the dirty work again and kill him and while smokey kills the guys that went in to see jacob ben remains unharmed. There is a lot more to ben and smokey....

Not a chance, look at how stunned Ben was to realise that FLocke was smokey and seeing that Locke's body was laying dead on the beach. He had no idea what was going on.
    Smokey(MIB) has been using Ben for some time and there was the point in S4 when Ben summoned Smokey to take care of Widmore's men in New Otherton so who knows how this ties in overall. Ben thought he was with the good guys but was manipulating a lot of things for his own needs or to remain leader (he never saw Jacob so any directions he claims to have received from him were made up while anything genuine probably came from Richard Alpert).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I just realised that
    "Lennon" is Dustin from Eastbound and Down.

Fairly standard opening fare for Lost - a 7 from me which is not a bad score at all for me (I've no idea how anyone can give episodes like this a 10, unless their scales go all the way up to 11). I was a bit sickened when my boy Sayid breathed his last but I prayed for him and he was risen. I thought I was the only one who noticed his "Come on Dover" moment after waking up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

Seems like Sayid will now be possessed by Jacob after being exposed to the spring.

Maybe Ben was possessed also after he was saved there when he was a boy, can't rule that out either!

Still the converse timelines stories running at the same time are a bit confusing at times.

In any case, great to have back to back episodes again and still the suspense remains at the end of each episode :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    Great episode.

So Smokey is Flocke. Does that mean that Jacob is now Saieed?
    Richard in chains could mean he was a slave from the Black Rock. I hope we get a Richard flashback.

2 different timelines, lol how is that going to play out??? :confused:
    Maybe the alternate universe losties will all end up on the island in 2010 with some sort of 'destiny' explanation.

Bring on episode 3.
    Would think Richard is an integral part of the plot. He will get an episode to himself i would think But more curious as to where Desmond disappeared to on the flight to LA before they touched down. Thats when it became interesting for me. Plot still a bit messy but enjoyed it overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

6 from me for this episode.

Far too much doesn't make sense.

Why are they ALL on the plane - weren't we lead to believe the Island brought them to the island and it was all linked. if the Island has been 'fixed' then they should not all have been on the plane.

Why was desmond on the plane.

How did Hurley win the lotto - he won it originally based on the hatch numbers, but he can't have got them now, surely.

Surely Julliet should have been burried under mounds of earth and rock - rematerialising inside the earth in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Why are they ALL on the plane - weren't we lead to believe the Island brought them to the island and it was all linked. if the Island has been 'fixed' then they should not all have been on the plane.

How did Hurley win the lotto - he won it originally based on the hatch numbers, but he can't have got them now, surely.

Surely Julliet should have been burried under mounds of earth and rock - rematerialising inside the earth in the future.
    And this may become relevant. In intro to series they mentioned that message from that came from the tower being sixteen years old. Very early on in series one. So was that a hint as such. Could it be they are doomed to stay in that time loop.

But more curious as to where Desmond disappeared to on the flight to LA before they touched down. Thats when it became interesting for me. Plot still a bit messy but enjoyed it overall
    For now are people not ok to just assume Desmond went back to his own seat. Just because Jack asked about him doesn't mean this is a big mystery that needs solving. Maybe he was in Jack's head but it's not worth making a big deal now when classic mysteries are getting solved.

This is exactly what the writers want you to ask - if the island events don't happen then clearly this will have outside influences. Their lives change but the fact that they will still all end up connecting is important. They are the same people but slight things have changed. Kate didn't murder her stepdad, she murdered an apprentice plumber. Hurley isn't unlucky, he's lucky and so on.
    This version is what happens as a result of the Losties thinking they were just saving themselves, they didn't think about the consequences outside of them and the people on their flight.
    As for Desmond, if there was no island to drag him in and keep him pushing buttons then his life is open to interpretation as to how he got on that same flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Didn't Cindy and the other grabbed survivors say they were there to watch. when jack was in the cage on the other island, Jack told her to get back to her watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

Have to say it was weak. I enjoyed it but found it predicable. The big question after season 5 was: reboot or no reboot and we end up with both?!
    I love Lost and I know a suspension of disbelief is required but what is supposed to have happened when the bomb went off?! It was powerful enough to throw Kate into a tree and alter the timeline but it didn't kill Juliet who was 2 feet away from it?! I'm sorry but that was just silly.
    Apart from the Locke and Jack scene in the airport the Alt timeline is just boring. It reminded me of the flashbacks in Season 3 when you just felt you'd seen enough of the various back stories and wanted to get back to the island (Kate getting married, Jacks tattoos etc).
    The temple scenes and the Ben / Un-Locke ones were very good although again there are glaring contradictions. The man in black was trapped in Jacobs’s cabin by the ash? So how was he also marauding around the island in the guise of the Black Smoke? And why did Un-Locke have to bring Ben to the chamber underneath the Temple to be judged when he was the Monster all along and could have judged him anywhere?
    There are so many holes in the plot now I doubt they can ever be tied up. I hope I'm wrong because it's still the best show on TV. But enough already, you have a great story - don't be afraid to play it out. It makes me worry that Darlton don't have faith in their ending if, with only 16 episodes to go, they are still introducing alternate timelines and new characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Kate didn't murder her stepdad, she murdered an apprentice plumber. Hurley isn't unlucky, he's lucky and so on.

When was this revealed? think thats a spoiler for the next episode though it was mentioned in interviews. I only remember Hurley saying he was lucky. Also he got the lotto numbers before he went to the island so they can still be connected down the line or may never be explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Although it's interesting the way just before he was stabbed it seemed like Jacob provoked Ben deliberately.

Is it something along the lines of he knows he has to die and come back in order to finally win and prove he's right to the MiB?

I agree, like he knew. But I think he may have been working on his own loophole, hence visiting the prominint characters and going out of his way to touch them in the season 5 ending.
    Originally Posted by Mr E viewpost.gif
    Mod Warning

Hear Hear. I do want to keep coming on here to satisfy my nerdyness but its always a risk.

Originally Posted by paddyirishman85
    If this wasn't Lost, I'd say Desmond may have just went back to his original seat because the guy he was sitting beside woke up (if I remember correctly, the guy he was sitting beside was snoring or something).
    However, this is Lost, so chances are Desmond is a time-travelling Egyptian smoke monster/polar bear hybrid with a Dharma label on his ass

He may have been in it simply as a way to feature a popular character who won't have much else to do this season and also to show that Jack didn't remember the on island events. But I think it will turn out to be important as thinking about it this new timeline will have had the biggest effect on him out of all the characters (apart from Faraday who never will have existed and perhaps Hurley.)

• Advertisement

TonyD79 wrote: »
    When was this revealed? think thats a spoiler for the next episode though it was mentioned in interviews. I only remember Hurley saying he was lucky. Also he got the lotto numbers before he went to the island so they can still be connected down the line or may never be explained.

The hint of Kate's new backstory was revealed months ago at ComiCon in which they played a bunch of adverts relating to Lost characters and Oceanic Airlines. Look it up on youtube, it's worth it to get a bit more insight.

Just to clarify this. Hurley won the Lotto with the numbers before going to the island. Then when he got to the island he discovered the numbers, which he now believed were jinxed, were on the hatch.

So if Hurley is now on the plane, having not been to the island he still would have won the lottery!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

I disagree

If the SWAN hatch was never built, therefore the numbers never exisited, therefore the man in the mental home with Hurley would never of said the "numbers" therefore Hurley would never of picked them for the lottery :eek:

blue_steel wrote: »
    I love Lost and I know a suspension of disbelief is required but what is supposed to have happened when the bomb went off?! It was powerful enough to throw Kate into a tree and alter the timeline but it didn't kill Juliet who was 2 feet away from it?! I'm sorry but that was just silly.

The bomb didn't throw her there. The flash/time travel did. Well I think so anyway....
    blue_steel wrote: »
    The temple scenes and the Ben / Un-Locke ones were very good although again there are glaring contradictions. The man in black was trapped in Jacobs’s cabin by the ash? So how was he also marauding around the island in the guise of the Black Smoke? And why did Un-Locke have to bring Ben to the chamber underneath the Temple to be judged when he was the Monster all along and could have judged him anywhere?

Nobody knows if the MiB was trapped in the cabin. It seems unlikely, more that somebody else was in there being protected from him by the ring of ash.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just to clarify this. Hurley won the Lotto with the numbers before going to the island. Then when he got to the island he discovered the numbers, which he now believed were jinxed, were on the hatch.

So if Hurley is now on the plane, having not been to the island he still would have won the lottery!

Yes but he got the numbers from the guy in the mental institution who had heard them being broadcast from the island. So if the island wasn't around the numbers would never have been broadcast, Hurley wouldn't have heard them, wouldn't have played them..... no lotto win.

Of course he could have won with other numbers, which would explain why he's now lucky instead of cursed by the numbers as he was previously.

BTW - they better explain those damn numbers before the end! :mad:

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    I disagree

If the SWAN hatch was never built, therefore the numbers never exisited, therefore the man in the mental home with Hurley would never of said the "numbers" therefore Hurley would never of picked them for the lottery :eek:

BUt either way, Hurley won the lottery before going to the island.

He did NOT get the winning numbers from the hatch. So if the hatch existed or not he still had those numbers! Don't know why people think he got the numbers off the hatch, then got off the island, won the lottery and then then went back. Think about it!

• Advertisement

Hurleyl got the numbers from some guy saying them in the mental home over and over again... Remember?

The question is... where did this guy get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

murpho999 wrote: »

he heard the lotto numbers from a mental patient who had some form of connection to the island (may have heard the numbers from a signal from the island, memory is hazey on this to be fair).

My point is (and it could be based on inaccurate information) that the Numbers Hurley picked were because of their connection to the island and the hatch. Without the island or the hatch, where do the numbers come from originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

he heard the lotto numbers from a mental patient who had some form of connection to the island (may have heard the numbers from a signal from the island, memory is hazey on this to be fair).

My point is (and it could be based on inaccurate information) that the Numbers Hurley picked were because of their connection to the island and the hatch. Without the island or the hatch, where do the numbers come from originally.

It is possible Hurley won the lotto with a different set of numbers
    There are other numbers that regularly win the lotto!!!!

But in the alternate timeline we don't know yet if Hurley won with those numbers.

But the events in his life that lead him to pick the number also lead him to buying the Fast Food Joint (Clukin Bell is it?)

These events would of been different if he picked a different set of numbers?

or maybe not... trying to think back..

Just thought of something

Why was hurlely in OZ?

Was it not because of the numbers??? He went to see some guy about them becuase the numbers caused him such bad luck?

If the numbers didnt exist, he would never of been on the plane?

Taken from the net:

Alarmed, Hurley returned to Santa Rosa Mental Health Institute where he first heard the numbers and demanded to see Leonard. The two talked over a game of Connect Four and when Hurley revealed that he had used the numbers to win the lottery, Leonard broke from his near-catatonic state and became hysterical, screaming: "you've opened the box!" He told Hurley to get away from the numbers or it won't stop. During this scene, Leonard reveals that he heard the numbers from Sam Toomey in Kalgoorlie, Australia. ("Numbers")

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Things have changed. He is lucky now, nothing bad ever happens to him. He still won the Lotto. Whether with the same numbers or not is something that I'm sure will come up.
    He was in OZ on business promoting a new range of Chicken Meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Lads, you're forgetting one important thing: this alternate Hurley is "the luckiest guy" alive. I very much doubt that such luck includes a stay in a mental institution, so he cannot have met the guy with those numbers in the first place. I think it's safe to assume that this Hurley got, well, lucky numbers. At this stage, I just hope these numbers won't ever be revealed! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

When the island was shown underwater, the barracks were there. This means that the island did exist, at least up until some point in the 70's. It's likely that in the alt. timeline, the island went underwater at the same time as The Incident. So Hurley still could have gotten the numbers from the guy (Leonard?) in the mental institute if he heard the numbers before the Incident

And the 16 years was the length of time Rousseau's message had been playing, which replaced the repetition of the numbers

When the island was shown underwater, the barracks were there. This means that the island did exist, at least up until some point in the 70's. It's likely that in the alt. timeline, the island went underwater at the same time as The Incident. So Hurley still could have gotten the numbers from the guy (Leonard?) in the mental institute if he heard the numbers before the Incident

And the 16 years was the length of time Rousseau's message had been playing, which replaced the repetition of the numbers

But surley if a hydrogen bomb was detonated then everyone says bye bye

Island and everybody on it destroyed in 1977

• Advertisement
Advertisement