Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I give up

• 03-02-2010 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

took my car to the garage for a new bulb in one of the front fog lights. "Fog light" ? said the mechanic " oh you mean the spotlights"

I give up, i totally give up...turn them on fellers dazzle everyone I wont say another word.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Some people

double-facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Speaking of spotlights....

Are they legal? There was a Land Crisuer SWB was spots mounted in it's grill the other night on the M50 and it was 'dazzling' to say the least. The newer, brighter headlights can be hard enough to drive in front of, but where there's 4 instead of 2, it's much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Spotlights are foglights and hense are only meant be used when there is fog down.
    Got pulled over before for using them when there was no fog down.... great to see the gardai hard at work solving crimes, catching killers and pulling people over for unnecessary use of foglights... ;)

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    Spotlights are foglights and hense are only meant be used when there is fog down.
    Got pulled over before for using them when there was no fog down.... great to see the gardai hard at work solving crimes, catching killers and pulling people over for unnecessary use of foglights... ;)

Spot lights are spotlights and foglights are foglights
    They are different.

Foglights are low down on the bumper and must only be used in foggy conditions.

IIRC spots must be linked the the main headlight controls and only be operational when the high beams are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Got pulled over before for using them when there was no fog down.... great to see the gardai hard at work

Absolutely, nothing worse than some fool driving around with their fogs on blinding people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Jip wrote: »
    Absolutely, nothing worse than some fool driving around with their fogs on blinding people.

indeed, i am surprised it has not been mentioned before........:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

will youse all shut up, you'll get me banned for starting another post about people driving with their fogs on.....oops, i said i wasnt going to say any more about that didnt I....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Now I have the Abba song Super Trouper in my head ;)

Jip wrote: »

Its a serious issue indeed!

Its a serious issue indeed!

its distracting and can be blinding and dazzling so yes it is a serious issue.

from your two post so far I imagine your one of these people who think there's nothing wrong with and inconvience everyone with your ignorance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I used to rant about foglights and people leaving them on, then I discovered WHY they left them on.

They are great for spotting potholes!

And, after the snow, there are a LOT of potholes to spot.

A convert I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A convert I am.
    Banned. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

talking of lights.

i was driving down the m7 last night on the way home, was dark due to the rain clouds.
    noticed an idiot with no lights on, so i pointed it out to the driver as i passed by.
    him and his passenger hadnt a clue what was going on so i pointed to the lights again.
    so he decides to pull over.
    so i decided to pull over also into the hard shoulder just infront of him.
    i run back to him and say, i was just pointing out your lights were not on.
    he says; sorry Garda.
    i run off to my bike and toodle along home, chuckeling away to myself.

i might start a campaign now pulling people over myself.
    Anybody know where i can get a Garda uniform. or badge.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

don't give up

its distracting and can be blinding and dazzling so yes it is a serious issue.

from your two post so far I imagine your one of these people who think there's nothing wrong with and inconvience everyone with your ignorance

Of course I use them - when theres fog! I haven't used them since I was informed that it is against the law to have them on when there is no fog. So i will pardon your ignorance for imagining Im one of 'those' people. Judge much?

I did see how useful they were in the recent fog spell we had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I actually used to have them on before I discovered boards and the error of my ways were pointed out to me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Well goin back to corktina thread about buying bulbs:):) I went in to my local vw garage for a spotlight/foglight bulb and your man had to take the reg of the car to get the right one for my passat. He returned later with my bulb in a skoda box!! All his checking:rolleyes::rolleyes:

malcox wrote: »
    Well goin back to corktina thread about buying bulbs:):) I went in to my local vw garage for a spotlight/foglight bulb and your man had to take the reg of the car to get the right one for my passat. He returned later with my bulb in a skoda box!! All his checking:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I thought that VW & Skoda worked together sharing technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

They do i could have got the bulb in a skoda garage but ur man went to such detail getting car model etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

returned later with my bulb in a skoda box!! All his checking:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As has been said, the parts are most likely the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I went in to my local vw garage for a spotlight/foglight bulb and your man had to take the reg of the car to get the right one for my passat. He returned later with my bulb in a skoda box!! All his checking:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Skoda are a part of VAG, just as Volkswagen Cars (and Audi and SEAT are). I've frequently got minor parts for my cars in Alfa Romeo or Lancia (more commonly Lancia actually!) branded boxes than the Fiat it is.

The part is either identical to one used in a Skoda and the VW garage happened to get Skoda branded boxes, or those are just the only boxes in the right size they had.

Advertisement