Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would anyone use a PC for gaming

Options
  • 03-02-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭

PCs are absolutely useless for games when compared to Consoles. I was trying to play counterstrike last night, hadn't played it in a while so when i booted it up, I had to wait 20 minutes for steam to update, then when I tried to find a server to connect to, I got kicked from about 50% of them before I could even get in, and the rest all had stupid personalised sound effects and ****ty home made maps that took ages to download every time the map changed.

So I got bored with CS, tried to play battlefield 2.
    Same again, needed to download a feckin patch which took ages, had to install it and when I finally booted the game up about an hour after I started trying, I remembered why I haven't played it in so long. My computer isn't fast enough to play the game at a reasonable setting level so I kept getting sniped and shot from beyond the grey fog by people who had a huge advantage because they have a better computer than me.

So what's a better computer? I have had 3 new desktop computers in the last 15 years, all of them were mid range when new, all cost more than a thousand pounds/euros and none of them could play any game that had been released that year on the highest detail setting (or even close)
    Games that had come out 12 months previous to the manufacture of the new pc had to be played on medium detail for any kind of decent framerate. Games that were still in production? well I'd be lucky if I could play them at all, and if i could, they'd be nowhere near as detailed as the advertised and reviewed product.

PC gamers are expected to constantly upgrade their software to fix bugs that should have been ironed out before the game was released, and constantly update the hardware with new graphics cards that often cost more than the price of a fully loaded PS3 and still don't deliver the performance that you expect and are out of date within 12 months.

It is impossible to be a 'casual gamer' on a PC, you need to be a 'serious gamer', spend all your disposable income on the right equipment and plan your gaming weeks in advance to make sure your game is compatable with the latest version 17.89b that the developer has just brought out to fix the bug introduced by patch v17.88b.
    I don't want to be a serious gamer, I have a job, that's serious, gaming is supposed to be fun.

Here's my list why games are sh1t on PCs
    1. You have to install them which takes ages
    2. You have to re-install them several times because they don't work the first time
    3. You need to update the drivers for your mouse because of a 'known issue'
    4. You need to buy a new mouse because the driver update that you searched the entire internet for doesn't work
    5. When the game finally gets going, it looks and performs crap because your computer isn't good enough
    6. You get constantly owned in online games because some rich child has a better computer than you and can see you before you see him
    7. When you try to join an online game you have to sift through gazillions of servers with crappy custom maps and custom sound effects that all make you download stuff that takes ages every time the map changes
    8. you'll get kicked half the time because you're not in the right 'clan'
    9. When you finally get into a game, you'll accidentally press the feckin windows button located beside the ctrl button on the keyboard and your computer will crash
    10. you're isolated in the 'computer room' of the house because you have to use a desktop to play games cause all laptops have sh1t graphics cards
    11. If you don't play the game for a few weeks, the next time you try and play you'll need to get a new patch then repeat steps 1-through 4, again.
    12. You'll lose the box or the piece of paper that has the cd key on it so when your computer inevitably needs to be reformatted, you won't be able to re-install any of your games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

tldr you're talking out your arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Akrasia wrote: »
    PCs are absolutely useless for games

lost me there

as a console based journo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

:rolleyes:

I sincerely hope that you are just trolling because that is possibly one of the most retarted posts I have ever read

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Obvious flamebait is obvious

Akrasia, it appears you may have a PEBKAC issue with your PC. Try upgrading the user firmware with the anti-n00b 4.2 patch, it's known to remove all the operating glitches caused by the ID-10t exploit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Probably easiest to jsut go through these points:
    Here's my list why games are sh1t on PCs
    Depends on the game and it saves having to change disk and listening to the whirring of the disk drive (like in the xbox 360).
    2. You have to re-install them several times because they don't work the first time

Only if you're incompetent.

Only if there's a problem with your mouse. If there's a problem with your console controller, you have to buy a new one.

4. You need to buy a new mouse because the driver update that you searched the entire internet for doesn't work

See above.

5. When the game finally gets going, it looks and performs crap because your computer isn't good enough

Only if you don't have a good pc. But then again, xbox games don't work at all on the new xbox 360's so that's a bit ****ty, isn't it? I mean, how are we meant to survive in life if things keep changing and getting better?

6. You get constantly owned in online games because some rich child has a better computer than you and can see you before you see him

That's nothing to do with the PC, it's your connection. And it happens on consoles too.

7. When you try to join an online game you have to sift through gazillions of servers with crappy custom maps and custom sound effects that all make you download stuff that takes ages every time the map changes

Modern Warefare 2.

Depends on what games you join.

9. When you finally get into a game, you'll accidentally press the feckin windows button located beside the ctrl button on the keyboard and your computer will crash

Again, that's incompetence. Get a keyboard without the windows key.

10. you're isolated in the 'computer room' of the house because you have to use a desktop to play games cause all laptops have sh1t graphics cards

Depends on what your set up is, so that's your fault, not the computers.

11. If you don't play the game for a few weeks, the next time you try and play you'll need to get a new patch then repeat steps 1-through 4, again.

As opposed to consoles that will force you to sit through a 20 minute update no matter what game you want to play, just because Sony or Microsoft decided to change a font? PC games will still work without the patches, console games usually won't if you've got a network connection.
    12. You'll lose the box or the piece of paper that has the cd key on it so when your computer inevitably needs to be reformatted, you won't be able to re-install any of your games.

Again, that's your fault, not the computers. Get yourself a notebook and keep all the serials in it.

Seriously, did you just have a bad day and needed to rant at nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

OP is a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Oh, and I saw this and it made me giggle:

attachment.php?attachmentid=104254&stc=1&d=1265192290

Lemegeton wrote: »
    OP is a moron.

probably more accurate than OP being a troll

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You guys are all probably 'serious gamers' and have top spec machines fully upgraded and patched and defragmented and custom cooled at the cost of hundreds of manhours and thousands of pounds. For the ordinary person who just wants to play a game, PCs are way more hassle than they're worth.

I had an hour to spare last night and I thought I'd like to play a game on the PC. I'd say I got about 3 minutes of actual gameplay and 57 minutes of frustration and watching numbers change on a screen.

The same happens every single time I try to play a game. Unless you play them all the time and keep the computer fully up to date, you're going to have to spend about a half hour or more preparing the game before you can run it

Compared with a console, buy the game, put it in the box and turn it on.
    instant action and a much more equal playing field when you get online

PCs are so 20th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

thats the most retarded post ever lol...you obviously havent got a new or high performance pc and dont understand what their able of :) and steam update depends on how fast is your broadband...it would take just the same amount of time on your console if CS was available for it...plus the better thing about games on pc's 1st theres mods and add ons for the more often than for console...2nd shooting games are much better due to easier use of mouse :) so FU u dont know **** :) oh btw i paid 700 Euro for my desktop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Are you still using windows 95 ? you know things have moved on since then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yeah, it's definitely so much better to accept higher prices, less game choice, restrictive licences, lower resolution and frame rate rather than spend 10 minutes looking after your PC every once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

You guys are all probably 'serious gamers' and have top spec machines

Nope; put mine together 3 years ago, and it wasn't top end then. Runs all the latest games fine.
    fully upgraded

Nope.
    patched

Well, yes, you should have the latest service pack installed for your OS. This is done automatically, so it's hardly something you need to do.
    and defragmented

Again, this is something you can do automatically for free. Hell, Steam comes with its own defragmenter too.
    custom cooled

Er, no, unless you are overclocking.
    at the cost of hundreds of manhours

Installing a defragger should take you about 10 minutes, all told. Price: free.
    I had an hour to spare last night and I thought I'd like to play a game on the PC. I'd say I got about 3 minutes of actual gameplay and 57 minutes of frustration and watching numbers change on a screen.

I'm not sure what program "makes numbers change". Did you perhaps install a Matrix screensaver by mistake?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ps3 now has to do install's as well to avoid loading times, xbox is being limited by the disk size available to games and developers are resorting to tricks to make people think the loading times are less then they are.

Installing on a hard-drive from a Dvd leads to loads of de-compression, which means actually loading the game is much faster.

Would imply that there is a larger problem with your machine. I have only ever had to reinstall a game once. I have lost many save games over the years on consoles through annoying bugs, which is far far worse.

Forgive me, but what peice of crap mouse did you buy that has a known issue with mouse drivers?

Once again, you buy cheap and you get cheap support.

I spend 300 euros a year on my pc. Its plays everything perfectly at 1080p at 60fps. It also does a whole variety of other things. If a part breaks I don't have to buy another pc, just get or repair that part. For the use I get out of it, its way more value than any console.

Sounds like you just suck at pc gaming.

Simple console command in CSS/cs1.6 to turn off custom downloads. You can see clearly in the server browser what map is playing. And a bit of variety is always nice, its the reason why those community's are still vibrant 10 years later.

Better than spending your entire evening getting abused by a ten year old with a mic and attitude problem.

The problem lies somewhere between the keyboard and the chair. I'll lodge this as a ID: 10T problem.

Computer room ehh, isolated ehh? My bedroom doesn't seem that isolated, being 15 feet from the sitting room. Talking with 15 people over teamspeak and having a good laugh seems a lot more social then sitting in a room silently watching tv. If I go to my reading room with a book, does that mean I'm always going to be alone?

have you been using consoles recently. Case in point, MW2. Every patch is released across all platforms.

Most manufacturers have moved towards username and password fields which store your game data. I can think of very few games recently that didn't tie into a system similar to Steam or Steam itself. And yet you still complained about Steam. And its automated patching. You really are a moan aren't you?

Lets talk about consoles.

* Proliferated with dick heads and no real way to filter them out
    * P2P matchmaking/hosting
    * Huge reliability problems
    * Limited functionality outside of gaming
    * Limited to a controller for all game types
    * Paid subscriptions forced onto you

You guys are all probably 'serious gamers' and have top spec machines fully upgraded and patched and defragmented and custom cooled at the cost of hundreds of manhours and thousands of pounds. For the ordinary person who just wants to play a game, PCs are way more hassle than they're worth.

The same happens every single time I try to play a game. Unless you play them all the time and keep the computer fully up to date, you're going to have to spend about a half hour or more preparing the game before you can run it

PCs are so 20th century.

good theoretical troll, poorly executed

game over

try harder

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

thats the most retarded post ever lol...you obviously havent got a new or high performance pc and dont understand what their able of :) and steam update depends on how fast is your broadband...it would take just the same amount of time on your console if CS was available for it...plus the better thing about games on pc's 1st theres mods and add ons for the more often than for console...2nd shooting games are much better due to easier use of mouse :) so FU u dont know **** :) oh btw i paid 700 Euro for my desktop!
    obviously I don't. That's my point, PC games are far too hardware intensive. I was told I am 'incompetent' because I am using the keyboard that came with the computer.
    (by the way folks, I referred to the mouse driver in the op for comic effect, it's rarely the mouse driver that needs to be upgraded, but the graphics card drivers and the sound card drivers and sometimes random sh1t like the network drivers can all cause issues on installing games.

I have bought games in the past that looked like they should be able to run on the spec pc that I had, took them home and they never worked because my graphics card was not direct x 6.1c compatible due to not supporting some kind of pixel shader or whatever, or there was some issue with my particular graphics card not being compatable with the game.

my computer is a few years old, but I don't intend on buying a new computer for gaming because in a few years i'll be back to where I am now.

obviously I don't. That's my point, PC games are far too hardware intensive. I was told I am 'incompetent' because I am using the keyboard that came with the computer.
    (by the way folks, I referred to the mouse driver in the op for comic effect, it's rarely the mouse driver that needs to be upgraded, but the graphics card drivers and the sound card drivers and sometimes random sh1t like the network drivers can all cause issues on installing games.

I have bought games in the past that looked like they should be able to run on the spec pc that I had, took them home and they never worked because my graphics card was not direct x 6.1c compatible due to not supporting some kind of pixel shader or whatever, or there was some issue with my particular graphics card not being compatable with the game.

my computer is a few years old, but I don't intend on buying a new computer for gaming because in a few years i'll be back to where I am now.

I like your signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Wait - are people still surprised that PC gaming isn't the magic fucking pixie land that PC gamers like to pretend it is?

OP - PC gaming isn't for everyone, it's a niche market for people who wear their ability to tolerate all the shit you listed like a badge of honour. If you're not up for that, and i can't say i blame you, just stick to the console of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

pc gaming is miles ahead of consoles.. them little fiddly buttons and analog ball things do my head in. How the hell can you play a fps with a poxy xbox controller!! its crap!
    whereas with a keyboard and mouse, sitting 2 foot from the screen with quality sennheiser earphones and speaker, its the cats pyjamas you actually feel like you are in the game.

Console gaming is not for real gamers, its for social gaming with friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

neil_hosey wrote: »
    pc gaming is miles ahead of consoles.. them little fiddly buttons and analog ball things do my head in. How the hell can you play a fps with a poxy xbox controller!! its crap!
    whereas with a keyboard and mouse, sitting 2 foot from the screen with quality sennheiser earphones and speaker, its the cats pyjamas you actually feel like you are in the game.

Console gaming is not for real gamers, its for social gaming with friends.

What utter fucking shit.
    Grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Your obviously a troll, in order to get a message like that you would have to have a machine and gfx card which is well over 4 years old with a brand new game. Consoles don't even have that lifespan

What utter fucking shit.
    Grow up.

Oooh... Protest too much me thinks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

OP obviously hasnt a clue what they are talking about - or any awareness of the epic car-crash this thread will be when they started it. I am going to sit back and watch the backlash as this misinformed clown gets a good bit of mob justice.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I had an hour to spare last night and I thought I'd like to play a game on the PC. I'd say I got about 3 minutes of actual gameplay and 57 minutes of frustration and watching numbers change on a screen

Is this a problem with the PC in general, or a problem with how you know to use a PC? I'd imagine the latter.
    by the way folks, I referred to the mouse driver in the op for comic effect

believe me... you didn't need to add anything extra to your post for it to have a "comic effect". :pac:

All this is starting to sound like: "I don't know how to operate my PC, and my own lack of understanding frustrates me. I want to be able to play games without having to learn anything, goddamit"

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

PCs: Not for noobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Actually, this thread makes me feel great. I have a full-time job, a wife, and still get a lot of gaming done on a 3-year old PC. But according to 2 people on this thread, PC gaming is a full time occupation that requires people to spend thousands of hours and euros to even play Minesweeper.

Obviously, what this means is - I'm a genius. I'm one of the smartest people on this planet. Einstein, Socrates, Cicero? Morons.

I feel great! Thanks, guys.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

What utter fucking shit.
    Grow up.

lol.. relax there!! just my opinion. Consoles are rubbish, graphics are probably just as good but the gameplay in most types of games (excepting soccer games) is CRAP.

Unless you have years of experience playing both, you cant really comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Having read the OP's post, I have to agree. Well not agree with the points he makes which are moronic (we are going with moron yes?), but with the general theme of the rant.

If I want to play a game for a few minutes I'll fire up the aul PS3 and bang in Batman or Assassins Creed 2 and have a blast. Because thats what consoles are best at, quick, fun, simple gaming.
    If I have a few hours to spare, I'll boot the PC and stick in Medieval TW2 or Supreme Commander or Diablo etc, ie a proper grown up, mature game that actually requires some thinking.

So in summary, consoles for kids, PC's for grownups :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Dear Boards.ie

2r6z4vl.jpg

thats what PC gamers look like

here are us "hip" and "with-it" console gamers (notice the cap)

gamer_05.jpg

we are cooler then you and you suck

Regards,
    Troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Hercule wrote: »
    Dear Boards.ie

2r6z4vl.jpg

thats what PC gamers look like

here are us "hip" and "with-it" console gamers (notice the cap)

gamer_05.jpg

we are cooler then you and you suck

Regards,
    Troll.

At least our PC's can spell and grammar check :P

Advertisement