Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would anyone use a PC for gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

My view is that you should choose what platform to play on based on the appropriateness of the input method for what you're doing. I use my PC for MMO, RTS or tactical RPG games while I use my consoles for games with control schemes where responsive single-character action is important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i love the irony of the OP's avatar being from Quake 3. kinda proves the trolliness of it right there.

that or they are just a n00b :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Judging by this thread, for all their smug "we're so awesome" PC gamers are actually an even bigger bunch of insufferable cunts than the most petulant console fanboy.

Jesus, for all the talk of the industry growing up why are it's most vocal supporters such fucking children?

After reading the original post, can you blame mature PC supporters for opting to remain silent? The OP should re-write his post into a cogent, and (for gawd-sake) succinct, argument. The original is longer than the Old Testament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Akrasia wrote: »
    1. You have to install them which takes ages

Have you tried installing a game on a PS3? It takes ****ing donkeys.
    2. You have to re-install them several times because they don't work the first time

Never happened to me. There's 1 button to install, I find it very hard to see how you could actually get that wrong.
    3. You need to update the drivers for your mouse because of a 'known issue'

There's been updates for peripherals on consoles too.
    4. You need to buy a new mouse because the driver update that you searched the entire internet for doesn't work

What sort of bad hardware are you buying?
    5. When the game finally gets going, it looks and performs crap because your computer isn't good enough

So you bought/built a crap PC and it's PC gaming's fault....nice argument.
    6. You get constantly owned in online games because some rich child has a better computer than you and can see you before you see him

Better computer has nothing to do with it. Menengroth there has an Alienware MX17 and he's absolutely gash at peecee gamez!
    7. When you try to join an online game you have to sift through gazillions of servers with crappy custom maps and custom sound effects that all make you download stuff that takes ages every time the map changes

All games come with filters that you can search through servers with. Dedicated servers is where it's at and the P2P stuff that is on consoles is retarded.
    8. you'll get kicked half the time because you're not in the right 'clan'

Maybe they just dislike you and were using that as an excuse. Has never happened to me when I played online.
    9. When you finally get into a game, you'll accidentally press the feckin windows button located beside the ctrl button on the keyboard and your computer will crash

...or you press the dashboard button on your xbox 360 or PS3 controller!

10. you're isolated in the 'computer room' of the house because you have to use a desktop to play games cause all laptops have sh1t graphics cards

..or my family/gf don't want me taking up the sitting room playing games.... or I could just have my PC in my bedroom.
    11. If you don't play the game for a few weeks, the next time you try and play you'll need to get a new patch then repeat steps 1-through 4, again.

No you don't. Why do make up lies? You know they make baby jesus cry, right?
    12. You'll lose the box or the piece of paper that has the cd key on it so when your computer inevitably needs to be reformatted, you won't be able to re-install any of your games.

You'll lose it if you're a simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PCs are absolutely useless for games when compared to Consoles. I was trying to play counterstrike last night, hadn't played it in a while so when i booted it up, I had to wait 20 minutes for steam to update, then when I tried to find a server to connect to, I got kicked from about 50% of them before I could even get in, and the rest all had stupid personalised sound effects and ****ty home made maps that took ages to download every time the map changed.

So I got bored with CS, tried to play battlefield 2.
    Same again, needed to download a feckin patch which took ages, had to install it and when I finally booted the game up about an hour after I started trying, I remembered why I haven't played it in so long. My computer isn't fast enough to play the game at a reasonable setting level so I kept getting sniped and shot from beyond the grey fog by people who had a huge advantage because they have a better computer than me.

So what's a better computer? I have had 3 new desktop computers in the last 15 years, all of them were mid range when new, all cost more than a thousand pounds/euros and none of them could play any game that had been released that year on the highest detail setting (or even close)
    Games that had come out 12 months previous to the manufacture of the new pc had to be played on medium detail for any kind of decent framerate. Games that were still in production? well I'd be lucky if I could play them at all, and if i could, they'd be nowhere near as detailed as the advertised and reviewed product.

PC gamers are expected to constantly upgrade their software to fix bugs that should have been ironed out before the game was released, and constantly update the hardware with new graphics cards that often cost more than the price of a fully loaded PS3 and still don't deliver the performance that you expect and are out of date within 12 months.

It is impossible to be a 'casual gamer' on a PC, you need to be a 'serious gamer', spend all your disposable income on the right equipment and plan your gaming weeks in advance to make sure your game is compatable with the latest version 17.89b that the developer has just brought out to fix the bug introduced by patch v17.88b.
    I don't want to be a serious gamer, I have a job, that's serious, gaming is supposed to be fun.

Here's my list why games are sh1t on PCs
    2. You have to re-install them several times because they don't work the first time
    4. You need to buy a new mouse because the driver update that you searched the entire internet for doesn't work
    5. When the game finally gets going, it looks and performs crap because your computer isn't good enough
    6. You get constantly owned in online games because some rich child has a better computer than you and can see you before you see him
    7. When you try to join an online game you have to sift through gazillions of servers with crappy custom maps and custom sound effects that all make you download stuff that takes ages every time the map changes
    9. When you finally get into a game, you'll accidentally press the feckin windows button located beside the ctrl button on the keyboard and your computer will crash
    10. you're isolated in the 'computer room' of the house because you have to use a desktop to play games cause all laptops have sh1t graphics cards
    11. If you don't play the game for a few weeks, the next time you try and play you'll need to get a new patch then repeat steps 1-through 4, again.
    12. You'll lose the box or the piece of paper that has the cd key on it so when your computer inevitably needs to be reformatted, you won't be able to re-install any of your games.

Twice. I've had to use that twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A real gamer would have a PC and the consoles if they had the money.
    QFT.
    I play on the pc because that's what I have. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Lemegeton wrote: »
    OP is a moron.

Infracted. You can make a point without personally abusing someone you know! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Infracted. You can make a point without personally abusing someone you know! ;)

Not nearly as satisfying though.

The point OP was making is moronic.
    The way OP delivered his point is moronic.
    OPs opinions are moronic.
    But OP himself is a pretty cool guy, somehow....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not nearly as satisfying though.

The point OP was making is moronic.
    The way OP delivered his point is moronic.
    OPs opinions are moronic.
    But OP himself is a pretty cool guy, somehow....

Well played.... :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sersiously the mind boggles beyond belief reading the origional posters first post.
    Im reading his/her post with my mouth open and jaw firmly stuck to the floor.
    Incredible! simply Increrdible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Why not have the best of both worlds. If I want a blast of football, or if im feeling unusually social (a rarity for a pc gamer, ;)) I'll fire up the PS3, lie back on the couch and let the easy gaming goodness wash over me.
    If i feel like getting me teeth into something meaty, Ill go on the PC, play some Fallout 3, or Total War etc and enjoy the quality (console shaming) graphics and the control that only a keyboard and mouse bring.
    Certain genres like football and racing go down well on the consoles where the pad is king and you might have some people over for some matches. But for deep enthralling SP games like RPG's, it has to be PC.

There generally is more work with PC games. Ive installed enough PC games to be met with errors and compatibility problems to last me a lifetime. But if you dont mind investing alittle time in sorting it out, the rewards are worth it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i have nothing to add to this thread, its shocking from both sides tbh. but im posting to subscribe mainly.

that is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Playing games since the Spectrum (still have a 128K+2 somewhere in my parents attic), still miss my Oric 1 16k (zap, ping, explode, ****).
    Have had nearly every console available since the early days, still have a Dreamcast knocking around that I occasionally play for nostalgia/scene, along with a PS3, 360 and a Wii.

Nothing, and I mean nothing has ever compared to gaming on the PC.

Apart from one.

The Amiga.

Oh my Amiga, how I loved thee !
    fck you commodore for having crap business sense and letting the PC eventually win the war ! :mad::mad::mad:

I only play football games on the PS3, everything else it's the PC. 360 I haven't played in well over a year.

Way I look at it, consoles are for kids, PC's are for grown ups.

I'm in my 30's, I can say that and get away with it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Jazzy wrote: »
    i love the irony of the OP's avatar being from Quake 3. kinda proves the trolliness of it right there.

that or they are just a n00b :)

I remember when quake 3 came out, i went to limerick to buy it on the day it was released because there weren't any game shops where I live, brought it home couldn't play it on my less than 1 year old Pentium 3 computer because it didn't support my graphics card. Had to buy a 200 quid graphics card (think it was one of the first geforce cards) and more memory for the computer (and that was when memory was really really expensive)

Good game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Why would anyone use a PC for gaming
    Cos they're better. /Close thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Playing games since the Spectrum (still have a 128K+2 somewhere in my parents attic), still miss my Oric 1 16k (zap, ping, explode, ****).
    Have had nearly every console available since the early days, still have a Dreamcast knocking around that I occasionally play for nostalgia/scene, along with a PS3, 360 and a Wii.

Nothing, and I mean nothing has ever compared to gaming on the PC.

Apart from one.

The Amiga.

Oh my Amiga, how I loved thee !
    fck you commodore for having crap business sense and letting the PC eventually win the war ! :mad::mad::mad:

I only play football games on the PS3, everything else it's the PC. 360 I haven't played in well over a year.

Way I look at it, consoles are for kids, PC's are for grown ups.

I'm in my 30's, I can say that and get away with it :o

There has never been a game on the PC that was as effortlessly cool as Wipeout or it's sequel on Ps2

I have never played a good driving game on a computer (not saying they don't exist, just haven't played one, consoles are excellent for driving sims, same with football and the new breed of music games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

driving games on pc can out run consoles 2...i got a ps3/pc wireless controller...just plug it in and play...just admit it PC is superior to consoles..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Winge, winge I can't use a computer.
    Here's my list why games are sh1t on PCs
    It can do, but it's a once off unlike console where you have to sit through long load times everytime.
    How could you have a problem with mouse drivers?
    Lol.
    Your computer isn't good enough, just buy a proper PC in the first place.

Lol, ah ya poor thing, there, there. :(
    Your better off with consoles alright or maybe something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

the_syco wrote: »
    Yes. A new gfx card that play BF2 will probably cost you €50

That's today, about 4-5 years after it happened. At the time it was not so cheap

Also my motherboard was outdated as most gfx cards were going to pci express and mine was agp so that was another thing needing future proofing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I remember when quake 3 came out, i went to limerick to buy it on the day it was released because there weren't any game shops where I live, brought it home couldn't play it on my less than 1 year old Pentium 3 computer because it didn't support my graphics card. Had to buy a 200 quid graphics card (think it was one of the first geforce cards) and more memory for the computer (and that was when memory was really really expensive)

Good game though.

so, you were retarded at buying stuff for your PC as well as being crap at the games on it?

gg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

My roomate games on his pc and I'm jealous, I only have the xbox.

I have fallout and no mods other than dlc.

Oblivion, same.

I cant play stalker :mad:

Countless other benefits, I have an xbox years and yes its convenient, but I would love a pc, but I can't afford a new machine be it console or PC, so alas, I am stuck with the console.

@OP you havn't a bloody clue, the problem is your incompetence, PC gaming is better in every way, I only loath that I havn't the space or money to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I never played that much on PC, bar oblivion (with all the graphics stripped down) and civilisation 2,3 and 4 (where did those summers go? )

I have heard this argument before from people. I love my PS3, don't get me wrong....but imo the PC argument wins everytime. Consoles are for the incompetent and lazy like myself, PC are for true gamers who want it all, graphics, modding, dedicated servers etc.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The OP's sig says it all.

In the alternative, obvious troll is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Better computer has nothing to do with it. Menengroth there has an Alienware MX17 and he's absolutely gash at peecee gamez!

i'm the ****ing _best_

also: M17x, fs. & worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this thread has on gone too far
    console users use them for convenience
    pc users use them for extra content and mouse and keyboard
    some users use both
    play what you want and don't play what you don't want to play
    but enough of the moaning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

sarumite wrote: »
    I never played that much on PC, bar oblivion (with all the graphics stripped down) and civilisation 2,3 and 4 (where did those summers go? )

I have heard this argument before from people. I love my PS3, don't get me wrong....but imo the PC argument wins everytime. Consoles are for the incompetent and lazy like myself, PC are for true gamers who want it all, graphics, modding, dedicated servers etc.

+1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Here's one more reasons that PC gaming is better:

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/02/05/1727233/Xbox-Live-For-Original-Xbox-Games-Shutting-Down?from=rss
    "Giving no explanation beyond that it 'will provide the greatest benefit to the Xbox LIVE community,' Microsoft's General Manager for Xbox Live, Mark Whitten, announced that as of April 15th, Microsoft will be shutting down its Xbox Live service for the original Xbox and its games. 'Cold comfort for those of you who still enjoy playing Xbox titles like Halo 2 with your friends,' writes blogger Peter Smith. But Smith notes that Whitten's announcement does hint at some form of restitution for those affected, encouraging users to check their LIVE messages for more details and opportunities."

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Lets hear it for the OP

epic+fail.jpeg

Advertisement