Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would anyone use a PC for gaming

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I always have a PC and a console for gaming
    Akrasia wrote: »
    Here's my list why games are sh1t on PCs
    1. You have to install them which takes ages
    PS3 installs take even longer( MGS4 install takes forever and level loads can easily take 5 minutes ), a decent PC harddrive will do 100Mb a second, thats 80 seconds to go through a full dual layer DVD install excluding compresssion. An SSD drive on the PC will do 220Mb a second.
    2. You have to re-install them several times because they don't work the first time
    I have never ever had to do this( excluding OS reinstalls )
    3. You need to update the drivers for your mouse because of a 'known issue'
    You cant even get online with a PS3 without taking the firmware updates, not only that i have NEVER got firmware updates to work on a PS3 using wifi, i download them on my Pc and install from a USB stick
    4. You need to buy a new mouse because the driver update that you searched the entire internet for doesn't work
    Yes, its happens if youre a PC noob and buy some crappy no brand mouse
    5. When the game finally gets going, it looks and performs crap because your computer isn't good enough
    Well you must have one POS PC because mid range PC graphics cards have been better than consoles for the past 3 years. A second hand 8800GT will destroy a PS3 or 360 in graphics terms and costs 50euro, buying new costs around 100euro( giving the price differential in terms of pc games and console games, that saving is made after approx 6 new games )
    6. You get constantly owned in online games because some rich child has a better computer than you and can see you before you see him
    Again, your pc is junk, if my PS2 could play PS3 games but with reduced graphics and effects i wouldnt expect to be pwning with it.
    7. When you try to join an online game you have to sift through gazillions of servers with crappy custom maps and custom sound effects that all make you download stuff that takes ages every time the map changes
    Completely game dependent, valve games download the maps, others like Battlefield 2 dont HOWEVER they have filters to exclude those servers. PC's have dedicated servers in most games therefore noone has a network advantage( you can pick closer servers if ping is an issue ). Console games have the stupid local hosting of servers therefore anyone hosting has a 0 ping giving them an unfair advantage. Not only that but everyones game experience is down to the capibilities of the net connection of the person hosting.
    8. you'll get kicked half the time because you're not in the right 'clan'
    Never once had that, in CS, BF2, CoD games etc. Youre kicked if youre being an ass, besides if theyre dedicated servers and the clans own and admin that server and pay for it who are you to complain if youre using their server for free?
    9. When you finally get into a game, you'll accidentally press the feckin windows button located beside the ctrl button on the keyboard and your computer will crash
    Not if you know anything about PC's and PC gaming, in which case you get a G15 or G17 which has a switch to disable the windows key.
    10. you're isolated in the 'computer room' of the house because you have to use a desktop to play games cause all laptops have sh1t graphics cards
    My PC is in the living room, i game on my media rig connected to the tv also, its your own problem if you have the PC isolated.
    11. If you don't play the game for a few weeks, the next time you try and play you'll need to get a new patch then repeat steps 1-through 4, again.
    I dunno what console youre gaming on but i would agree with that comment 5 years ago, now the PS3 and the 360 have the exact same issue except PSN is so junk it takes forever to download the patch.
    12. You'll lose the box or the piece of paper that has the cd key on it so when your computer inevitably needs to be reformatted, you won't be able to re-install any of your games.
    Buy it on steam if thats an issue, in over 20 years of gaming with copy protection cardboard discs from the 16 bit era to cd keys now i have never lost a cd key( is usually a sticker in the disc case or its on the manual, not exactly easy to lose ).

Your arguments are pretty rubbish, yes the PC is a pain to game on with patches and what not, but so are this generation of consoles.

Just for the sake of it, heres a few PS3 issues( again based on the fact that a console should be switch on and game ):
    1. Some games have text which is far too small, ive a 40" and its impossible to read the text in GTA IV with the couch about 5 feet from the tv, yes the tv size and distance from the tv are my issue but there is no option to increase the text size
    2. The graphics are crap on the 360 or PS3 compared to my PC and there are only a handfull of PS3 games with AA( and none that i have seen with transparency AA ). There are only 2 or 3 games on the PS3 which are 1080p native, the rest are just all upscaled.
    3. PS3 Wifi is junk, i still havnt got GT 5: Prologue patched after having it for over a year. All my other PCs and laptops work fine with my wifi setup on the router and the PS3 is setup correctly and port forwarding enabled for PSN etc.
    4. Most times when i turn it on there a damn firmware patch, if i buy a new game i have to wait ages for an install, then wait another age for it to pickup the latest patch, didnt have that problem with the PS2.
    5. The wireless pad battery is usually flat when i switch on the PS3 so i have to use the nice and short USB cable that comes with it
    6. PSN download speeds are absolute crap
    7. PSN euro store is junk and its just hassle to setup an account for the US store
    8. Games are too expensive
    9. The PS3 Blu Ray drive is soooo slow, and the DVD capacity limitation on the 360 is horrible
    10. I can use my PC for 100's of things( browsing, writing docs, writing emails convienently, downloading anything, listening to radio while gaming, 3d rendering, software development etc. etc. ) while a console only allows gaming, some paid movie watching, limited browsing etc.
    11. You have to pay for online play on the 360 and the PSN is crap
    12. I cant use my 3 screen setup on my PS3
    13. Playing movies on consoles, it can take ages for new codecs to be released
    14. Finding demos on the euro PSN store is a joke
    15. Sony and Microsoft control absolutely everything
    16. Cant play FPS with kb + mouse on consoles

At the end of the day, game on whatever platform suits you but dont knock another platform with crap points, most of the issues listed apply to the 360 or the PS3 also. Consoles are great with mates, great for fighting games, arcade adventures, PC is much better for FPS, Racing( if you have a decent setup for it ), Sims, RTS's. Each platform has its strengths and weaknesses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

elekid wrote: »
    I wasn't moaning really, just amused by the similar attitude. I can identify with the OPs experience but I know it's more down to my lack of interest in pc specs and hardware than because "all pc gaming is crap by default". I wouldn't say no to a high-spec gaming pc dropping in my lap but I wouldn't be bothered putting one together myself.

You don't need an uber high end machine but it is nice. Most processors right now are overkill for gaming so should last a few years and mid range graphics cards are cheap. No need to put it together yourself either, buy an off the shelf pc and just add a graphics card. My dad picked up a good machine with a quad core and 4GBs ram a few months back for €350. If you stick a decent graphics card (think someone mentioned a 4670 for €80) then you actually have a pretty good gaming machine.

PC gaming has it's downsides but it also has it's upsides, same with console gaming. Much prefer pc gaming myself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Vegeta wrote: »
    That's today, about 4-5 years after it happened. At the time it was not so cheap

Very true. Luckily pc hard ware is relatively cheap compared to what it used to be. Hopefully it stays like that.

Advertisement