Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed a Firebird Heatpac 150 boiler - or have I?

• 03-02-2010 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My boiler cut out yesterday so after checking their was plenty of kerosene in the tank and that there were no airlocks by bleeding the fuel pipes, I took the burner unit off and cleaned the photocell (which was covered in soot) and the fuel ionizer. I also cleaned out the inside of the boiler as best I could. I then restarted the burner and it fired and operated smoothly.

What I'd like to know is will this clear up the problem or have I just attended to the sympthoms of another problem eg fuel mix too rich resulting in the soot? The boiler was bought new 3 years ago and hasn't been serviced since because a plumber who called to look at it said there was no need for a service and he'd be taking our money for nothing. Was he being honest or lazy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

My boiler cut out yesterday so after checking their was plenty of kerosene in the tank and that there were no airlocks by bleeding the fuel pipes, I took the burner unit off and cleaned the photocell (which was covered in soot) and the fuel ionizer. I also cleaned out the inside of the boiler as best I could. I then restarted the burner and it fired and operated smoothly.

What I'd like to know is will this clear up the problem or have I just attended to the sympthoms of another problem eg fuel mix too rich resulting in the soot? The boiler was bought new 3 years ago and hasn't been serviced since because a plumber who called to look at it said there was no need for a service and he'd be taking our money for nothing. Was he being honest or lazy?

Lazy is the answer. All new Oil boilers installed should be commissioned into proper use to suit the instillation. A lot of plumbers who fit Oil boilers haven't the experience to commission after install. To get over this and to keep unnecessary warranty calls boiler manufacturer / suppliers gave out a free commission for new Oil boilers after installation. Even with a free commission by an OFTEC certified person Oil boilers are still being installed and left to use without final commission.

Oil boiler regulation is about to change, soon any new Oil boilers installed must be commissioned by an OFTEC person before warranty becomes available the change was due late 09 into 2010 so its on the cards soon.

Your Oil pressure / Air mix could be out leading to soot build up, correct combustion wont leave a soot build up, nozzle might also require replacement. Have boiler serviced by an OFTEC person and mention how boiler has never been commisioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks for that. The boiler was "commissioned" by the muppet who did the plumbing on the house and seeing as that was/still is a disaster, I have no faith in him setting the boiler up correctly. The other plumber I rang to service the boiler about 6 months ago took one look at it and said "it was grand and didn't need a service".

Another thing I noticed last night was that the sight glass for viewing the flame was covered in soot as well. I know for a fact that this as clear before Christmas when I was replacing the pump on the boiler. Will this soot burn off or is it another sympthom of a larger problem with the burn ratio?

Where would I get details of a reputable person to tune the boiler to it's proper specs

Advertisement