Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spare a thought for Paddy

Options
  • 03-02-2010 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

yes the title of this thread is in contrast to this bad joke of thread here

why dont we spare a thought for all the 13,300 people who lost a job last month (how many of them were from public sector again btw?)
    A HUGE surge in unemployment and redundancies are outlined in startling new figures published today.

They show 13,300 more joined the dole queues last month -- pushing the total to 436,900. And redundancies soared, according to the latest report, with 6,699 losing their jobs in January.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/economic-downturn-blow-for-lenihan-as-jobless-total-soars-2045119.html

the papers dont print the stories of the thousands of people above, instead we get trash like this

so please spare a taught for Paddy, or Pat or whatever the names of these people are who are still loosing jobs

people who can not hold the country ransom in order to continue in their safe and overpaid employment

people who get "demoralized" by a p45 handed to them, not by a frigging pension levy

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    yes the title of this thread is in contrast to this bad joke of thread here

why dont we spare a taught for all the 13,300 people who lost a job last month (how many of them were from public sector again btw?)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/economic-downturn-blow-for-lenihan-as-jobless-total-soars-2045119.html

the papers dont print the stories of the thousands of people above, instead we get trash like this

so please spare a taught for Paddy, or Pat or whatever the names of these people are who are still loosing jobs

people who can not hold the country ransom in order to continue in their safe and overpaid employment

people who get "demoralized" by a p45 handed to them, not by a frigging pension levy

:mad:
    It does rather put Barrys problem into perspective doesn't it, quality of life destroyed my a**e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

My other half is one of those 436,900 on 10k a year so forgive me if my sympathies are more towards Paddy rather than Barry.
    Barry wrote:
    It is unfair, unjust and irresponsible to destroy my quality of life in two fell swoops of pay reductions in 10 months.
    This Government targeting of public sector pay has not only turned my quality of life on its head,.

Yeh try it on the dole Barry. Thank your lucky stars you have a guaranteed job earning 53k a year and a nice pension in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Thank your lucky stars you have a guaranteed job earning 53k a year and a nice pension in the first place.

Barry studied to acquire the appropriate skills and applied for the job, nothing lucky about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

ardmacha wrote: »
    Barry studied to acquire the appropriate skills and applied for the job, nothing lucky about it.

can Barry be replaced by any of the 436,900 unemployed people with more skills and education

no? thought so

I wonder how many of the 400k+ on the dole studied at third level, that'd be an interesting statistic. He is not going to get much sympathy writing into the papers complaining about his quality of life on a wage like that, if other posters calculations can be trusted he is on 50k plus. His employer can't sack him I consider that to be pretty lucky, as be in no doubt the Government would lay off scores of PS if they thought for a second that they could get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

How about i offer you a job?

Free accomodation plus free healthcare included.

Stay at home as many hours as you like, you can even take care of your own children and still come out with take home pay of over €200 per week...

Apply at your local Social Welfare office...

Apply at your local Social Welfare office...

and of course the welfare "job" Paddy gets would not come close to the 50K a year job that Barry is moaning about

and of course the welfare "job" Paddy gets would not come close to the 50K a year job that Barry is moaning about

hours are much better though...

hours are much better though...

maybe Barry should move to this new job :D and be replaced by any of the 430K "Paddie's" who would prefer to be in his position

Lucky stars in that he has a protected job with a protected pension, him moaning about struggling on a high wage is rubbing salt into the wounds of Paddy.

• Advertisement

Maybe they should have applied years ago just like Barry, he knew it wasn't as lucrative as his private sector counterparts at the time but settled for that in favour of long term job security.

Maybe they should have applied years ago just like Barry, he knew it wasn't as lucrative as his private sector counterparts at the time but settled for that in favour of long term job security.

maybe we can all work in the public sector (worked out great in USSR) :rolleyes:

tho where will the money to pay the PS an welfare come from then?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Whinge whinge whinge. He should get a job elsewhere if he's not happy with what the one he has.

maybe we can all work in the public sector (worked out great in USSR) :rolleyes:

tho where will the money to pay the PS an welfare come from then?

Still trotting out the old favourites I see...

unfortunately we cant all work in the Public service, but you're welcome to apply just like the rest of us are when the positions are advertised. For all the vilification of the Public sector i'd be willing to bet €206 per week that the applications will be way up.

The money will come from the same place that "Paddy's" new wage will come from.

Stark wrote: »
    Whinge whinge whinge. He should get a job elsewhere if he's not happy with what the one he has.

Just like those on the dole are perfectly entitled to get themselves a job elsewhere as Irish people have done for generations.

average-wages-2009.pngAverage wages across sector, 1998-2009

Remind me, just when was that again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

unfortunately we cant all work in the Public service, but you're welcome to apply just like the rest of us are when the positions are advertised. For all the vilification of the Public sector i'd be willing to bet €206 per week that the applications will be way up.

You could say the same thing about people aspiring to be bankers.

Lies, damned lies and statistics...

so all the construction workers currently on the dole were earning under €40,000 were they??

please...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Can't be that horrible working there then if people are still going to be willing to apply. In spite of the cuts, people still have good well paying jobs. They're not exactly starving and walking to work in bare feet.

Stark wrote: »
    Can't be that horrible working there then if people are still going to be willing to apply. In spite of the cuts, people still have good well paying jobs. They're not exactly starving and walking to work in bare feet.

so is it the height of the mountain or the lowness of the surrounding ground?

oh you mean i can't generalise hysterically against one side or the other?

i apologise

i thought that was what this forum was for...

• Advertisement

so all the construction workers currently on the dole were earning under €40,000 were they??

please...
    So are you calling the CSO data lies? Of course it couldn't be as accurate as the PS's anecdotal evidence, what a guy once told them in a pub or whatever. It is all we have to go on if you have data contrary to this please be my guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Just like those on the dole are perfectly entitled to get themselves a job elsewhere as Irish people have done for generations.

Wasn't it Brian Lenihan's father that said "Sure we can't all live on this little island". It makes me wonder if there will be anybody left in the future to pay taxes to fund the country's public service.

Yes, money does indeed grow on trees. Thats the militant PS line that's been trotted out.

Paddy needs the money more so than Barry as Paddy earns 10k scraping by on a low quailty of lifestyle, not earning 53k+ on a high quality of lifestyle.

external borrowing another 25+ billion :rolleyes:

oh boy will things get nasty once the chickens come home to roost

last i checked CSO are part of the public sector...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

please...
    Clearly you don't understand what an average is!

That's the same as me telling you that you earn 200k because I read about a few secrataries general on that sort of loot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

mickeyk wrote: »
    average-wages-2009.pngAverage wages across sector, 1998-2009

Remind me, just when was that again?

I love when people trot out graphs based on average wages.

If a Doctor earns 200k and a Nurse earns 50k, their average wage is 125k. Now is that representative of what either of them earn?? NO.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

mickeyk wrote: »
    So are you calling the CSO data lies? Of course it couldn't be as accurate as the PS's anecdotal evidence, what a guy once told them in a pub or whatever. It is all we have to go on if you have data contrary to this please be my guest.

can you provide a link to the definition of the "Private (ex agri)"

thanks

Taxipete29 wrote: »

If a Doctor earns 200k and a Nurse earns 50k, their average wage is 125k. Now is that representative of what either of them earn?? NO.....
    What do you propose it should be based on?

Riskymove wrote: »
    can you provide a link to the definition of the "Private (ex agri)"

thanks
    Are you serious? It is the people working in the private sector excluding agriculture, average farm income is 16k would you like to include that as well?

• Advertisement

Taxipete29 wrote: »

if your not willing to believe CSO stats

fine how about IMPACT?

by their admission two-thirds earn more than 40K (industrial wage is 37K)

zyfrly.png

what say you now?

Advertisement