Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spare a thought for Paddy

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Guell72 wrote: »
    So do you guys believe that the defecit will be solved by letting the public sector take all of the burden ... Hint ... use the maths you learned in school
    Who said that?? I said cut expenditure, expenditure is more than pay, its capital investments, social welfare etc. No one area can take the brunt of cuts it has to be done in a controlled and fair manner (but it does have to be done), along with tax increases for everybody which we will probably see in the next budget. I also said they need to look at reducing numbers if they can't cut pay any more.
    Regarding maths at school your idea to tax everybody and everything will be hunky dorey was shown to be seriously flawed (unless you have a counter argument) so I don't see how you feel you can talk down to anybody regarding calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

So do you guys believe that the defecit will be solved by letting the public sector take all of the burden ... Hint ... use the maths you learned in school

Firstly the PS is not taking all the burden and secondly no we don't think the problem will be solved by tackling the Public sector. But there are huge pay, pension and efficiency problems there and they should be tackled regardless of a recession or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

People who created this mess were attending the same schools…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

mickeyk wrote: »
    Who said that?? I said cut expenditure, expenditure is more than pay, its capital investments, social welfare etc. No one area can take the brunt of cuts it has to be done in a controlled and fair manner (but it does have to be done), along with tax increases for everybody which we will probably see in the next budget. I also said they need to look at reducing numbers if they can't cut pay any more.
    Regarding maths at school your idea to tax everybody and everything will be hunky dorey was shown to be seriously flawed (unless you have a counter argument) so I don't see how you feel you can talk down to anybody regarding calculations.

Unlike your reading skills. nobody said everything would be hunky dory. What I said was that you cant expect the public sector to take all of the pain, which they are doing now. We have got to share the burden. Tax hikes done properly, will hit everyone, therefore revenue would gain from all people, not just a fraction of the working population. This would go much further than just reducing public sector pay, wouldnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Pulbic sector cost doubled in a decade

welfare spend has quadrupled

all to buy votes

the country wasn't exactly badly of around the start of the century with smaller PS and welfare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Unlike your reading skills. nobody said everything would be hunky dory. What I said was that you cant expect the public sector to take all of the pain, which they are doing now. We have got to share the burden. Tax hikes done properly, will hit everyone, therefore revenue would gain from all people, not just a fraction of the working population. This would go much further than just reducing public sector pay, wouldnt it?
    Again if you read my post that is what I said needs to happen too along with appropriate cuts where they are needed. Public pay is an issue which has been blown out of proportion by jealousy and begrudgery as you have stated before, but that does not mean it is not too high for the times we now are facing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Pulbic sector cost doubled in a decade

welfare spend has quadrupled

all to buy votes

the country wasn't exactly badly of around the start of the century with smaller PS and welfare

Hopefully something that we can all agree on for once ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

If you will tax everybody, you will kill retail completely and will force people to leave, because there is no reason to work only to protect quality of life of public servants. It means more empty houses left, less jobs, less tax and only public sector laughing. Poor people become even poorer, but incomes so high paid part of public sector will preserved.
    Cuts on public sector will hit retail as well, but they can survive with only 10% losses. If government will realise that it is time to play divide and rule within public sector and cuts will affect only non-critical areas of public services, leaving critical staff unaffected, then impact from strikes will be minimal. Country will manage to survive without storytelling in libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What I said was that you cant expect the public sector to take all of the pain, which they are doing now.
    Absolute rubbish mate. Go pay a visit to one of the 400k unemployed PRIVATE SECTOR folk and say that to their face and see how far you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

murphaph wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish mate. Go pay a visit to one of the 400k unemployed PRIVATE SECTOR folk and say that to their face and see how far you get.

Or the unquantified number who have had pay cuts, or live with the threat of redundancy, or have had their pensions slaughtered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I reckon the majority of people in the private sector who didn't receive cuts, didn't get "increments" either. So someone who would have got a 7% increase in better times would be level with someone who got a 7% cut but a service increment to compensate.

Advertisement