Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brand is everything.

• 03-02-2010 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Every amateur and professional photographer has a brand that they religiously stick too. For many professionals it tends to be all about the Full-Frame. But for others, us, its all about what system you first put your hand on. Once you start down that lane and start to build up accessories there is no turning back. Not to mention that there is a level of camera snobbery. ;):D

But is there more temptation out there now?

Would anyone consider having a Nikon DSLR set for their hobby/work and maybe buying a Pen for holidays and snapshots? (If price wasn’t an issue)

With Cannon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic, Pentax, Sony and all other sorts of companies throwing out DSLR’s, prices somewhat competitive, not to mention cameras like the Pen and the Ricoh GX200, will Brand be as important in the future, particularly in the amateur market?

Just thinking out loud! :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

why bother ? in most cases, i'd say in particular the professionals, it's nothing to do with brand loyalty or 'snobbery' or whatever it is you're talking about, it's about familiarity and the cost of investing in a different system. Once you're familiar with a particular system you can work faster and better with the gear and be more aware of what you need to do to get a particular job done. If you've invested a small fortune in Nikon compatible gear then you're not going to not switch to canon or whatever because of 'snobbery' but because it doesn't make any financial sense to change. All the brands have broadly similar capabilities nowadays anyway, making changing even more nonsensical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Meh, I use whatever camera I think is right for the job - I use Canon as my professional digital system because I've been using them for 7 years at this stage, and I've a fair collection of gear. But I've got Hasselblads, Nikons, Olympus', Mamiya's, Graflex', obscure russian brands, home made cameras*... If price wasn't an issue, I'd probably by a Fuji rangefinder to bring around for snapshots, but I've got a rather nice 6x6 folding rangefinder that'll do for the moment.

I was looking at the Pen, because I quite like having a small camera, but tbh, I prefer a working rangefinder and the new Leica is too expensive for the abuse I'd be throwing at it.

*Not to mention Holga's, Diana's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The more companies "throwing out" DSLR's, the more important the brand and its reputation and history will become.

Edit: Daire hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

it's about familiarity and the cost of investing in a different system.
    I'm not disagreeing with you at all. As I mentioned I'm merely thinking out loud, just wondering what people's feelings are and I did say that "if price wasn't an issue".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Meh, I use whatever camera I think is right for the job - I use Canon as my professional digital system because I've been using them for 7 years at this stage, and I've a fair collection of gear. But I've got Hasselblads, Nikons, Olympus', Mamiya's, Graflex', obscure russian brands, home made cameras*... If price wasn't an issue, I'd probably by a Fuji rangefinder to bring around for snapshots, but I've got a rather nice 6x6 folding rangefinder that'll do for the moment.

I was looking at the Pen, because I quite like having a small camera, but tbh, I prefer a working rangefinder and the new Leica is too expensive for the abuse I'd be throwing at it.

*Not to mention Holga's, Diana's...
    Ok...for next Christmas I want 2 hours with your gear! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Oh variety is where it's at. Olympus, Canon, Brownie, Nikon, slr, point and shoot, rangefinder...allso different results no? Different results are good, no?
    I'd be surprised if your opening gambit is correct k_user.

Maybe for those that do births, deaths, marriages and sports need a consistancy but outside of that group I'd be surprised at brand snobbery by a photographer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

When I was choosing a dslr I went with Canon because at the time the provided the best high iso performance and this has carried through with me on to the pro ranks, its very familiar and I have a lot invested. I would agree with Al too in so far as whatever gets the job done will be used.

Each brand goes up and down especially with the likes of Canon and Nikon, sometimes one is better than the other and then the opposite. There would always be a temptation but as there is so much invested in a system it really isn't worthwhile for me to change

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have said before, that the decision to shoot Nikon was not made by me, it was made for me before I was born.

A good friend of my fathers had been involved in Photojournalism back in the late 50's and early 60's. It was back then that the iconic Nikon F was introduced & just about every Photojournalist moved over to it. It was in the Vietnam War that it became invaluable as it was almost bullet proof. Anyway, this friend influenced my father when he purchaed his first SLR in Hong Kong back in 1972. It was a good choice as he could borrow lenses & other gear.

I started to use this Nikkormat FTn as well & in the late 70's actually bought it from my father. I still have it in storage in Australia. So it made sense when I bought a new camera to get one that would use all the lenses & kit I had already. I then bought the Nikon F801 in 1989, which I also still have in storage.

When I was into Scuba Diving I bought an Underwater Camera. The only one at the time which was dedicated & did not need a housing was the Nikonus. I got myself a Nikonus III. It was when that camera needed servicing that I had problems, not with the Gear but with Nikon Australia, who at that time were an Agency run by a company called Maxwell Photographics. They treated me very poorly and they had a repuatation for doing it as well. At the time Nikon were on the top of the market as Olympus were on the decline & Canon had not yet stepped up & they thought they could afford to be arrogant.

When it came time to buy a DSLR I had the choice of Canon or Nikon. Looking at both I did much prefer the Nikon D70S as it felt good in the hand & was very familiar. A lot of the systems were improved but the same as the F801. I also had backwards compatability for other gear. The problem was I did not want to give a red penny to Maxwell's Photographics. The solution was to purchase a Grey Market camera. So I kept with Nikon. I now have the D300.

When I was looking for a walk around camera I then naturally bought a Canon G9. It was the best fit at the time & not dependent on other gear, so no Brand loyalty there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Like the title says, brand is everything ! thats why (if money were no object) I'd get the Best Digital Camera In The World !!! :eek::D

/I must admit I wouldn't mind giving it a whirl !, and there are other links to a Yosemite expedition which compares the M9 to a film M3 (with Fuji Velvia 50) < interesting !

Advertisement