Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Chocolate

Options
  • 03-02-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

Coffee is generally my main hot drink but today is the first time in such a long time that I've had the time to make hot chocolate and it's so damn good.

Also if you're out and about and near a coffee place called Insomnia, they do amazing hot chocolate... Even better than Butler's chocolate cafe imo.

But still, there's nothing better than making your own at home. :) Nom nom nom nom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

I love the extra creamy one out of the machine in work mmm.
    Think i might get one now :D:D:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Aw yeah... Hot chocolate is the best...

Starbucks do a gorgeous hot choc. Arguably one of the worst days of my life about a month ago... One of the only rays of light in it was that cup of hot chocolate. Standing in the driving rain outside London Victoria station, nearly crying (but nobody noticed thanks to the rain), needed a pick-me-up... Starbucks really helped.... Like a scene from a bloody advert!!!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Oh yeah, they're a great group! Everyone's a Winner and I Believe in Miracles- oh, you're talking about the drink? Well I like that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

+1 for Starbucks. As much as I despise the place and their coffee, I have to say their Hot Chocos, Mochas & Iced Mochas are lovely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

3 teaspoons of Cadbury's hot chocolate powder
    A cup of milk
    Into the microwave for 90 seconds
    A dash of honey

= :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A cup of milk
    A dash of honey

Mmmm. Sounds interesting. Might give that a try sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

A cup of milk
    A dash of honey

That sounds gorgeous! I've put a dash of cinammon and maple syrup into mine before, but never tried honey... must do!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Soya milk, ovaltine, Cadbury's drinking chocolate, dash of Baileys and grated 70 - 85% cocoa chocolate. Boiled not microwaved. Nyom!! :D Maltacular!
    WindSock wrote: »
    +1 for Starbucks. As much as I despise the place and their coffee, I have to say their Hot Chocos, Mochas & Iced Mochas are lovely.

Ooh, yea I used to be a fiend for their Toffee Nut Hot Chocolate at Christmas time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Mmm.
    I'm not supposed to eat / drink chocolate, but sometimes, I have a slip up and indulge ...
    Hot chocolate is yummy :)

I like making it with a whisk so it gets nice and frothy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

yummy!! :D
    butlers white hot chocolate or starbucks hot chocolate with loads of cream!!

damn i want that now! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I used to be a big hot chocolate person. I've kinda moved back to tea, but I'd imagine that's temporary, kinda like how I used to suddenly switch from Corn Flakes to Krispies and back again a few months later. It may have been a trip to Kraków last summer that did it. That place had both extremes with no middle ground.

On the one hand, there was a restaurant (Nowa Prowincja on Bracka St. for anybody who's going) that served the most unbelievably gorgeous hot chocolate I'd ever tasted. Going there became a daily ritual for the two weeks because of it, the staff knew me by the end. The chocolate was thick as syrup and you'd have to scrape half of it out of the cup at the end.

On the other hand, "quickie" tea counters like the one in Auswitcz and the airport served this horrible, thin stuff with oily, multicolour bubbles instead of froth and a metallic taste that kind-of hung in your mouth no matter how much Fanta you knocked back to clear it. Worse than anything I've ever had in Ireland. Aspiring tourists, be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭phoebe!

I absolutely love hot chocolate and think you can't beat Butlers. But I really don't like starbucks hot choc....if that was my only choice I'd go without!
    I'd recommend Cadbury Hot Choc Chunks for making it at home...delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I am also a big fan of starbuck hot chocolate. There's a starbucks in the building I work in and they know my name and ask me do I want my usual! :)
    A lot of people seem to hate it and their coffee but I don't drink coffee at all so I'm only going on the hot chocolates.

Really weirdly, there's a Butler's across the road from where I work (which is weird as I live in New Zealand!). I couldn't believe it when I saw it first. What was even better was I had a half full loyalty card from Butlers in Ireland and they let me continue using it. Sometimes I go in there and close my eyes and imagine that when I leave I'll be on Nassau or Wicklow street - not in Wellington!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

My Malteasers hot chocolate is calling to me from my house :p When I go to Dublin i will be living on Butlers hot chocolate for the few hours I'm there yum yum yum :D

Hot Chocolate with a dash of Baileys. Mmmmmmmm.

In Dun Laoghaire park on Sunday's they have a farmers' market, there is a crepe stand which sells the yummiet hot chocolate in the world, ever, it has marshmallows, baileys whipped cream, and chocolate sprinkles. Oh god I'd love some now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This is my guilty pleasure. always feel like a kid ordering it, especially when I go to the bagel factory or something with my girlfriend and she gets a sophisticated Latté :)

I second the home made cadburys one though. must pick some up again soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Murphy's Aztec hot chocolate, made from 70% chocolate, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg and chilli! It's savage, like Christmas in a drink :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Hot chocolate with marshmallows :D

insomnia or butlers ftw :D not a fan of starbucks, its too dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Oooh! I love putting malteasers and mini marshmallows in mine. I'm going to pick up a box the Aero mint hot chocolate when I food shopping my sister got me addicted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Mmm, hot chocolate. Best thing ever is when the inside of the glass is coated with chocolate syrup, which melts and dissolves into the delicious warmth of the drink itself. Astronomically tasty stuff.
    Pocketfizz wrote: »
    I love putting malteasers in mine.

That's genius! I have to try that at some stage. :D

Also, some day I'll attempt to drink hot chocolate and a vanilla milkshake simultaneously. Some say I'm mad, they say it can't be done, but I'll prove it to be possible! Two drinks, two temperatures, two straws, an incalculable amount of arterial devastation... but too promising not to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Gizmoisgiddy

nothing better than waking up with snow, and having a hot chocolate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Melissa89

Mmm, love coming home from work on a snowy evening, bar of dairy milk into the pan of milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, dollop of cream, dash of vanilla! Perfection!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Hot Chocolate with a dash of Baileys. Mmmmmmmm.

In Dun Laoghaire park on Sunday's they have a farmers' market, there is a crepe stand which sells the yummiet hot chocolate in the world, ever, it has marshmallows, baileys whipped cream, and chocolate sprinkles. Oh god I'd love some now!

Oh Woopsy I am going to try one of thos next weekend hopefully :D:D:D Sounds fab :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

LOVE Butlers white hot chocolate with cream. I always get it in the air port and on cold days in work! It always makes me excited, I also love the little chocolate they give you! Extra chocolate makes Squeaks EXTRA HAPPY!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

Best hot chocolates ive had were the ones in Sammy's restaurant at inch beach in kerry. GOD DAMN they are epic!!!
    Horridly expensive but the once a year hot choc is well worth it :D
    I'd die for one right now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭click_here!!!

Don't think that the Lidl drinking chocolate for hot-water aint good, it is!!:D

I forget what it's called, but it comes in a glass jar, if that helps.:P

Discovered "Benoit's Chocolate Factory" in the Ilac Centre in Dublin. Oh. My. God. Heaven.

They have a ridiculous amount of different flavours of hot chocolate. To name but a few: White chocolate with cinnamon, milk chocolate with hazelnuts, dark chocolate with chilli, milk chocolate with orange.

They have all the different types of chocolate lined up, you pick which one you want, and they melt it down with hot milk. Seriously, if you're in Dublin over the christmas, you have got to pay this place a visit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mercy Seat

Am overseas at the moment, but oh my god! Drool! Butler's white hot chocolate! Worth killing for, I think.

Meanwhile, this thread has prompted me to get the cadbury's hot chocolate with caramel into me.

Life is good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Discovered "Benoit's Chocolate Factory" in the Ilac Centre in Dublin. Oh. My. God. Heaven.

They have a ridiculous amount of different flavours of hot chocolate. To name but a few: White chocolate with cinnamon, milk chocolate with hazelnuts, dark chocolate with chilli, milk chocolate with orange.

They have all the different types of chocolate lined up, you pick which one you want, and they melt it down with hot milk. Seriously, if you're in Dublin over the christmas, you have got to pay this place a visit!

Walked past it the other day but it was closed.
    Must drop in soon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

Having a lovely hot chocolate and cosying up next to the fire while it's lashing rain or snowing outside is actually one of the best feelings in the world! It makes me so happy! Marshmallows make it even better too!

Advertisement