Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

architect help!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

What work is he doing for you? It does seem very reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hi all, im very new to all this....

just wondering if this is a good rate for an architect in 2010.
    my architect is in the RIAI i like his work and also his clear interaction with the client.
    we are using him to go from stage 1 to stage 4

costings include
    stage 1 €800
    stage 2 €1500
    stage 3 €1000
    stage 4 €1200

so 4500 in total incuding vat and expenses....
    Tbh this post makes no sense as it's totally out of context.
    stage 1-4 means nothing, what actually work is he doing, is it a new house or an extension etc

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

my architect is in the RIAI i like his work and also his clear interaction with the client.

costings include
    stage 1 €800
    stage 2 €1500
    stage 3 €1000
    stage 4 €1200

If I take it you mean from desig/concept stage to actual completion of the final project I think its a very resaonable price, compared to the architect we are currently using-but not sure if that says a lot:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭picorette

costings include
    stage 1 €800
    stage 2 €1500
    stage 3 €1000
    stage 4 €1200

The fee needs to be put into perspective.
    Can you clarify the works it is for? And the size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 green apple.

sorry about that this is what we hope to get for our money!!!

hopefully we will be building a two storey house the kitchen might be one level. we are hope to have the house as air tight as possible the size is no greater than 2500sq ft. please post replies again!!! thank you.

Work Stage One: Initial Design
    Examine planning documentation from County Council in relation to adjacent sites; confirm a final brief with you for the proposed schedule of accommodation based on an analysis of the completed client questionnaire; prepare sketch design solutions for your proposed home for your assessment maximising the house’s relationship to the site, orientation, aspect and internal planning. We note that all design development client/architect meetings will take place at our offices.
    Work Stage Two: Developed Design
    Consult with the planning authorities including roads and drainage; develop an optimum design solution based on your response to work stage one including scaled plans and elevations and
    incorporating new brief items that may evolve following work stage one; prepare and submit all documentation and drawings for an application for planning permission; deal with any requests for further information from County Council that may arise.
    Work Stage Three: Working Drawings
    Prepare a set of detailed tender drawings, documentation and specifications to include basic services for use by the client in obtaining quotations from contractors and to demonstrate compliance with Building Regulations. Please note that planning application drawings do not contain sufficient information for these purposes.
    Work Stage Four: Construction
    Carry out periodic inspections (six) of the works in order to issue certificates for payment to the bank for stage payments. Prepare Certificates of Compliance with Building Regulations and Planning Permission on completion. This stage will be as described in our email to you previously.
    The fees associated with the above work stages would be:
    Work Stage One: € 800
    Work Stage Two: € 1,500
    Work Stage Three: € 1,000
    Work Stage Four: € 1,200
    Please note that the above figures are inclusive of expenses and VAT (21%). We have set out on the attached appendix an outline of the expenses that we have allowed for and we note your payment terms. We are available to discuss the above if you require further clarification and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
    APPENDIX: EXPENSES INCLUDED
    Stage One:
    Photographs / developing
    Printing / copying
    Ordnance Survey Planning Pack
    Telephone/fax/internet
    Stage Two:
    Newspaper ad
    Planning application fee
    Printing / copying
    Telephone/fax/internet
    Stage Three:
    Printing / copying
    Stage Four:
    Certificates
    Telephone/fax/internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Have to say its a very competitive price, its working about at about 1.5% +VAT at €100/sq.f build, which for a full design service of a project of this nature would have been considered well below cost in the past by most.

Were you advised that you would require a BER, possibly engineer, EPA test, topographical survey etc.

Did the architect confirm that they held PI?

Are you happy with what you've seen in terms of the relevant work/references of this architect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 green apple.

archtech wrote: »
    Have to say its a very competitive price, its working about at about 1.5% +VAT at €100/sq.f build, which for a full design service of a project of this nature would have been considered well below cost in the past by most.

Were you advised that you would require a BER, possibly engineer, EPA test, topographical survey etc.

Did the architect confirm that they held PI?

Are you happy with what you've seen in terms of the relevant work/references of this architect?

We are very happy with the terms of the work and were supplied with 7 references. We have seen most of the previous work including the architects home so it looks good from that end.

We are ruling out an engineer because he will sign off on it.

Will have to check the BER i know what that is but what is a topographical survey and an EPA test!!!

thanks for the reply!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭BenK

I think that's a ridiculousy low price to be honest. You are basically getting a full architectural (and engineering by the sounds of it) service with expenses included for around €3,720 (excl VAT).

A topographical survey is a survey of the site and can also show any existing buildings. It show the levels of the land, ridge heights, apex levels etc. It's not required for every job but on a complex or sloping site it's pretty essential.

You may also need an engineer to carry out a percolation test on the site for a septic tank.

As for not needing an engineer I'd double check with your architect you don't need one. I can't imagine that your architect will be happy to sign off on the design of any of the structural elements.

Also as archtech has noted, check that they have PI.

I have attached extracts from the RIAI survey of fees (undertaken in November 2008. It's also available on the RIAI web site.) to show what were common percentage fees for architects a couple of years ago for a full service. Your fee proposal of 1.5% (and that has assumed a low construction cost of €100 per square foot) doesn't even register on the chart. I know people will say that those were boom prices but as these are percentages it really is all relative to the construction cost. No wonder about 60% of architects are unemployed! It just shows how desperate Architects are for work at the moment... I'm not trying to lecture you however greenapple and if you are happy with your architect's other work if I was you I'd snap up that offer.

I can only assume that your architect is a one man show with little overheads and that the design for your house is fairly standard. I don't mean to cause any offence by that but the price does seem exceptionally low.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

BenK wrote: »
    I think that's a ridiculousy low price to be honest.

Have to agree.

For that price, what struck me is that you may be getting a design, tender documentation, etc., alreday prepared for another house (maybe built maybe not) and then just transferred/copied to your site?

Even if architect was working at minimum wage, it's difficult to envisage you'd be getting a bespoke design for a one-off house. In addition the OP mentions air-tightness - more time consuming detailing and specification?

You simply may not get the service you might think you will get?

Is it an urban or rural site?

Advertisement