Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

testing a phone line for broadband

• 03-02-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Whats the best method of testing if my line can receive DSL broadband? According to eircoms atozbroadband, I'm too far from the exchange but my neighbour isn't. I just want to see what type of attentuation (sic!) I would get on my existing line.

But how do I do that?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can't test it. Only eircom can do this, and if they say no, then it's a no. You're wasting your time trying to get them to do anything about it, as they simply won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

hjr wrote: »
    Hi,

Whats the best method of testing if my line can receive DSL broadband? According to eircoms atozbroadband, I'm too far from the exchange but my neighbour isn't. I just want to see what type of attentuation (sic!) I would get on my existing line.

But how do I do that?

Thanks in advance

go on the eircom website you can put your phone number in and test it or get loan of a router and see do you get the dsl light to turn on.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aerocell

get loan of a router and see do you get the dsl light to turn on.

This wont work if the line as not been jumpered, you will not get any DSL sync.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

antod wrote: »
    go on the eircom website you can put your phone number in and test it

That doesn't actually test anything, it just checks the result of a previously run test. A router will not tell you anything unless DSL is enabled on the line, which it hasn't been in this case.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

as per what jor el says
    A ADSL router will only give you line stats, but it'll only give you line stats if the line is in sync and it'll only sync if a working ADSL service is enabled on the line.

If the service isn't installed and working a router won't give you anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement