Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to Mongolia - What should I bring?

• 03-02-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I am taking part in the Mongol Rally this year driving from Ireland to Mongolia.
    Click Sig for more info.

So I want to document this well with photographs video.

At the moment I have Canon Eos 350D with kit lens,70-300mm Sigma and nifty 50.

I also have a Sony Camcorder.

I am not really happy with the quality of the image getting with my Canon especially in low light situations.Also the auto focus does not seem to be functioning properly.

I am thinking of going purchase one of the new Canon's

Budget would be around 1000

Is the video functions good on these that I could use it to film or is it awkward to hold these to film.

Would like to be able to use my lenses on the new camera aswell as the battery grip.

All recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I am confused

what are you bringing in the vehicle that really needs to get to Mongolia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

I am confused by your question.

I am asking about photographic/video equipment to document the trip.

what it is that you need to photograph/record?

be specific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    I am taking part in the Mongol Rally this year driving from Ireland to Mongolia.

I am asking about photographic/video equipment to document the trip.
    Barname wrote: »
    what it is that you need to photograph/record?

be specific

Ummmmmmm....?

Oh yeah.

The journey itself.Photos video of the car,the places we see and the people we meet.

So would be taking landscape,portrait action photos/videos etc.

Want something good in low light aswell.

Any more questions please ask?

• Advertisement

Oh yeah.

The journey itself.Photos video of the car,the places we see and the people we meet.

So would be taking landscape,portrait action photos/videos etc.

Want something good in low light aswell.

Any more questions please ask?

a panasonic lumix or a g11 will do you fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Get a 500d and use it for video too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Personally i'd be looking at something like the 24-70mm f2.8

Good range for wider shots as well as portraits, candids etc. Solid build to handle the rigours of a trip like that and sharp as a tack normally.

It also fits into your low light needs and fits into your budget pretty much perfectly.

EDIT: Just read your looking for a new camera instead...ignore me!

Thanks for the ideas so far.
    I was looking at the 500d aswell.
    Would be handy for taking some video.

Eirebear I am interested in lenses aswell so all recommendations are welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Im jealous of your trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Hi, I did the rally in 2007 and ended up kicking myself for only bringing a cheap-o point n' press.

I'd say not to worry about the longer lenses, but a wide angle is a must, as is a good low-light lens.

One thing i'd point out that although i, and most of the people i knew, never had any problems at all, there were at least two teams that had lots of valuables stolen, so make sure you get insurance, and try to avoid having a really obvious expensive camera bag. Once you leave europe you'll attract a lot of attention with crowds of onlookers, kids etc, crowding round the car.

Also, depending on the route you take, some customs officials will go through your pictures/ videos to make sure you haven't recorded anything you shouldn't have.

What route you taking?
    I want to go again....... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Barname wrote: »
    a panasonic lumix or a g11 will do you fine
    Neither of which will work with his current eos lenses. Pay attention to what he's saying.

Thanks for the tips Dr. Strangelove

It will likely be Ireland,UK,France,Belgium,Germany,Czech Republic,Slovakia,Hungary,Romania,Modova,Ukraine,Russia,Kazakstan,Uzbekistan,Krygistan,Kazakstan,Russia,Mongolia.

Yeah will have to take insurance alright and be sensible about showing it off etc.

So any good wide angle lenses that would work with the canon eos range.
    Any need for a flash.
    What about filters or other accesories.
    Have tripod and shutter release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Click Sig for more info.

At the moment I have Canon Eos 350D with kit lens,70-300mm Sigma and nifty 50.

I also have a Sony Camcorder.

I am not really happy with the quality of the image getting with my Canon especially in low light situations.Also the auto focus does not seem to be functioning properly.

I am thinking of going purchase one of the new Canon's

Budget would be around 1000

Is the video functions good on these that I could use it to film or is it awkward to hold these to film.

Would like to be able to use my lenses on the new camera aswell as the battery grip.

All recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Get a couple of large memory cards, and I presume you'll be bringing a laptop to download the images off the cards? then you'll need a separate hard drive to back up the images, and keep this well separate from your laptop/ camera. Also, burn off backups onto CD or DVD and securely post home every week.

Your nifty fifty is a good fast lens, which should be fine for low light, especially if you are using high ISO.
    I'd recommend a wide angle lens (10-20mm) for a trip like this, as I'm sure you'll meet expansive landscapes. A P-series set of filters would be handy also.
    I recently got a Tamron 10-24mm for my 7d, and it's really nice (but heavy)
    Get rid of the Canon branded neck strap, and go non descript, don't make yourself a mugging target.
    The problem with all this gear is.... all this gear!
    I went on a trip to Nepal on 2001, and dragged my SLR up and down the mountains, it literally becomes a pain in the neck!
    Although another poster was shot down in flames above for suggesting it, I would also get hold of a good quality Point and shoot as mentioned also, and bring that with you. You could well be going into locations where the SLR will be too much hassle, or a security rick, and something small and good that will fit in your pocket will be invaluable.
    Best of luck!

Effects wrote: »
    Neither of which will work with his current eos lenses. Pay attention to what he's saying.

pay attention?

How about you learn some manners Effects?

The lens' that he has are not worth bringing to Mongolia (excepting maybe the 50 if its a 1.4)

The poster speaks of issues with low light, with both that and security being matters for consideration thats why a G11 or a Lumix is most suited to such a trip

the unit can be kept on body, ISO excellent and good zooms too.

Its some sort of a trip, not a commercial photographic expedition

pay attention Effects and take your attitude elsewhere, its not welcome in these parts

Thanks for all the info lads.

It all helps so no need to bicker about things.

What about cleaning equipemnt and protective equipment.

Especially through kazakstan the roads are basically non existant so would have to store my stuff well.Maybe make a padded box or something.

Also alot of dust etc. i wouldnt take my camera out but there is always a chance of dust /sand getting on the equipment.

Any good protective equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

For protection, a pelican case is the best out there -pricey, but worth the cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Thanks for all the info lads.

It all helps so no need to bicker about things.

What about cleaning equipemnt and protective equipment.

Especially through kazakstan the roads are basically non existant so would have to store my stuff well.Maybe make a padded box or something.

Also alot of dust etc. i wouldnt take my camera out but there is always a chance of dust /sand getting on the equipment.

Any good protective equipment.

There is a thread about going to Namibia only a day or so old, loads of good info in there, especially about dusty conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'd add some good wide-angle glass, a ton of 2-4gb memory cards and redundant backup storage.

Hey Nilg.

Cant seem to find that thread.
    Can you post a link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-ewa-marine-c35-basic-slr-cape.htm

something along the lines of this (that can be sealed underneath would be a cheap remedy for the dust problem.

The new 500D will work better than the 350D in low light situations.

Good call on the Canon-EF-S-10-22mm

or even better might be the Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM for low light situations.
    but this will not be amazingly wide on the 350d or 500d bodies with the cropped sensor.

I know your budget is 1000, but Personally If I had about 1800 ish euros to spend (and a good bit of time to shop about)

I'd go for a used 5d mark1 and a Canon 24-70L F/2.8
    I'd sell the 350d to fund this and spend a bit more cash

Your going to have to post your best pics here when you get back

Hey Nilg.

Cant seem to find that thread.
    Can you post a link.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055814158&highlight=namibia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Hey,

I'm a Nikon user so can't comment on the Canon models etc. but if i was in your situation i would probably go for something like a Nikon D90 (which shoots video) with an 18-200. Also a previous user mentioned a wide angle which is a very good idea (i have Sigma 10-20m). This would mean you don't need a seperate video camera.

I'm sure there is one of the canon cameras which shoots HD video but i don't know which. Also your budget might be a little light if you wer to buy the kit from scratch.

Please note i'm not trying to convert anyone to Nikon...

I guess I would stick with Canon as I have a few accesories and thats what I am used to.

Just wondering does anyone know if the battery grip for the 350d would work with the 500d.

Interested in the video capabilities of the 500D aswell.

Is there any website that compares different lenses showing the same picture.As in showing how much more you can get from the wide angle lenses.

Is there any website that compares different lenses showing the same picture.As in showing how much more you can get from the wide angle lenses.

It's Olympus but shows the field of view at different focal lengths

http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/208_21614.htm

Advertisement