Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humanitas Tournament.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

4-0 Batman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Batman is well experienced with battling against all kinds of criminals, armed with all sorts of weaponry. Often he finds himself one against many. The dark and brooding one is always at home in the shadows and would fit right into Sin City. Although Marv is formidable he just doesn't have the skill to do the Dark Knight in. This one goes to Batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Batman has dealt with many Marv esque characters in his time, but you can bet Marv has never run into the likes of batman before.
    Batman to win due to this experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Marv can take a beating and give a beating but even he has his limits, Batman is in prime physical condition and would wear him down eventually.

Wait... hold on...

...it's Batman.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Batman staggers away from Sin City declaring, "I didn't know Bane had a brother. I'm going back to Gotham."
    Bats wins:eek::eek:
    Next fight coming up.

BATTLE 5

Elektra
    Wiki
    elektra.gif

VS

Rorschach
    Wiki
    rorschach.jpg

Rorschach has tracked one of his targets to an abandoned junkyard. Unbeknownst to him Elektra has been hired to kill the same man. Rorschach topples a stack of wrecked autos onto his prey narrowly missing Elektra then attempts to leave the scene. Before he can though Elektra confronts him thinking he's a rival assassin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Elektra's training is far beyond that of Rorschach. Yes, he is a psycho and will go to any lengths necessary to take you down, but Elektra could kill him in 100 different ways before he even got close enough to touch her, plus she's a master of stealth etc and would take down R-money before he even knew she was there. That's not adding in her limited psychic shiz etc.

+1 Elektra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I got a hint of misogyny from Rorschach, I don't think he would take Elektra seriously, and that my friends will be his downfall. Elektra takes this one.

2-0 Elektra

• Moderators Posts: 51,881 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Elektra, the comic version not the movie version, is a highly trained warrior. She even became leader of the The Hand at one stage.

I would imagine she'd be well able to counter and defeat any attack from Rorschach.

Elektra

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

Rorschach is more a machievelian schemer than warrior. In a fight Elektra would have far too much for him to handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

while rorshach is probably myfavourite of this pair solely because of his psychotic nature I think elektra would finish her opponent in a couple of seconds

I believe Rorschach while being strong, and inventive would be bested by the highly skilled and extensively trained Elektra.

Elektra leaves Rorschach's broken body stuffed in a car trunk.

BATTLE 6

Green Arrow
    Wiki
    200px-Green_Arrow-6.jpg

VS

Casey Jones
    Wiki
    28.jpg

Central_Park_Reservoir.jpg
    While tracking the assassin Merlyn Ollie Queen has come to NYC. Crossing Central Park he hears a cry of "Goongala", investigating he finds a masked man brutally beating two men. Thinking he's spotted a burgeoning supervillian he decides to intervene

Again, I would say Green Arrow's sheer array of arrows will win him this, I can't see how Casey Jones will get anywhere near GA before he puts an explosive arrow into him or something.

EDIT I've been informed that GA no longer uses special arrows, but I still reckon his skills at archery will be too much for Jones.

This is a tough one. It wasn't going to be a tough one, I was sure GA would walk it easily, but the location and scenario change much of that.

If you see someone beating the crap out of some guys in a park you're not going to stick an arrow in their back. I reckon GA will get close and try to take the punk out with a well placed punch. That'll be GA's first mistake. GA is a cool and calculating customer, he'll approach the scene with care and once he disturbs Casey Jones he'll get the full on crazed vigilante might of Casey Jones on him. CJ will no doubt think he's dealing with some wannabe supervillian and will set about taking him down to Turtle Town.

GA is going to get roughed up in this one, but I think his vast experience and physical prowess will see him through, but not without a fair few bruises. Green Arrow has just that touch of class to him that'll keep him alive. At the very worst he'll be getting a trashing and will slip Casey for long enough to get some distance and pepper that hockey mask with a Quill's worth of GA Specials.

GA to win, but he'll know he's been in a fight.

Green Arrow has nice camoflague. I can see him taking out Casey with one expertly placed shot.

Green Arrow

Casey would be a human pin cushion before he even knew Green Arrow was attacking. The park just lends itself to a great hide and strike from a distance attack for GA.

• Advertisement

Love Casey, but Green Arrow would easily take the day with his specialty arrows :) Win for the guy in green:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

I think GA would have this one. There are too many trees and places to hide/blend into. Although with he ability to take on 7 men at once I don't think he'd mind going kicking Casey's ass one on one for the fun of it.

GA takes this one.

BATTLE 7

The Punisher
    Look here
    punisher1.jpg
    VS

Rambo
    Look here
    220px-JohnRambo2008.jpg

John Rambo was trying to readjust to life back in the States. Then the CIA came calling. Waking up in an abandoned factory he finds an assortment of firearms and knives with a note. " A psychotic vigilante is coming to kill you. Defend yourself."

Alright, here's how I see it playing out.

Rambo starts to go into overkill with booby traps around the location. Once completed, he picks a good spot to wait should the attacker get past the traps.

Punisher, who has some intel on Rambo approaches under the cover of night. He checks the perimeter for traps and disposes of them. However, Rambo has set some of them as dummy traps with a secondary trap as the real threat.

Punisher manages to avoid the traps but does take some minor wounds. He eventually makes it to the interior. He slowly scans for the hidden Rambo. Rambo activates a remote detonation as a diversion and then opens fire on punisher.

Some of the shots connects and punisher does down. As rambo moves in for the killing shot. Punisher unleashes a flash grenade.
    In the confusion, punisher manages to get gun away from rambo.
    Both combatants draw knives and begin a long and gruelling knife fight. Both are trained well enough to avoid taking too much damgae.

At this point, the longer life of conflict that Punisher has gives him an advantage in endurance.

Punisher spots an opening given by a battle-tired Rambo, and fillets him like a fish.

TLDR??

guess you'll never know then :P:P
    Punisher

:D

This is difficult, the note would suggest that it's the Punisher who is pulling all the strings and who holds all the cards. I can only assume that the Punisher has had an opportunity to get some intel on Rambo, and may possible know what moves he will make. Rambo will put up a tough fight, but in the end I think the Punisher has him beat.

• Advertisement

My initial feeling was Rambo, but then I remembered that Frank Castle fought in 'Nam (and seriously well too - legend has it the Americans were winning before he left!). So, any percieved advantage that Rambo would have gained from his jungle ops is nul and void.
    It's a fairly level playing field since Rambo has the opportunity to fortify himself, but The Punisher never goes into battle without knowing exactly what he's up against. Again even Steven.
    Both are masters of multiple weapons, great tacticians, physical specimens and hand to hand combatants. Again, all square.
    I think The Punisher just about edges it based on his superior clarity of thought. His ability to think clearly in the heat of battle (Rambo is prone to red mist mid fight) should just about nudge things in his favour.

After a hard fought battle, The Punisher wins.

Both excellent fighters. these two are very well matched. If Rambo was defending someone else I think they would just fight till they both dropped, but when it's only his life in the balance i think he wouldn't care as much about the outcome. I believe Punisher would wear him down
    this one goes to Punisher

In the end Punisher stands triumphant over his fallen foe.

BATTLE 8

Indiana Jones
    Wiki
    about-indiana-jones-4.jpg

VS

Lara Croft
    Wiki
    lara-croft.jpg

260px-Temple_Facade-Angkor.jpg
    Lara Croft has undertaken an expedition to Cambodia to discover what happened to a lost expedition from the 1950's. Upon entering the temple she is thrown back in time to encounter professor Henry 'Indiana' Jones who is convinced she is a criminal there to steal priceless antiquities

Lara dominates Indy's ass!

Lara is too highly trained, ridiculously so (it's as if she's just a computer game character) Her fighting skills are better than that of Indy, as are her athletic abilities, ninja acrobatic skills, marksmanship, use of random gadgets, ability to kill dinosaurs etc.

Plus, Indy is always one to be taken in by a lovely lady, and if Lara is as lovely as her fanbois would have you believe then she'll have Indy put off his best game.

I'm afraid Indy is just from another generation... we're talking Amstrad and Lara is just a lil bit too Playstation. I've a fondness for the old system, but I know which is better.

Lara +1

• Advertisement

Well, first of all that's not a very flattering pic of Indy:rolleyes:(looks a little pigeon toed)
    Lara Croft is very skilled, acrobatic, and always wins- except in my scenario.:D

The one where she is left a bit dizzy by her passage through time and being preoccupied with the missing team from the 50s she mistakenly takes Indy to be one of them. He uses the whip to disarm her.Another crack and he wraps it around her upper body pinning her arms to her sides. When she jerks back in an attempt to free herself she is successful in pulling the whip from Indy's hands, sending him sprawling on the ground. The release of the whip sends Lara stumbling against the stone wall which pivots to send Lara falling into a floorless inner room. Indy springs forward in an attempt to save her but only catches the handle of the whip. When he gazes into the bottomless cavern he realizes no one could survive that fall. "Darn! " says Indy. " I kinda liked her look." Takes his hat off shakes his head,puts the hat back on, rolls up his whip tucks it in his belt and goes off on his own business. So Indy wins!;) yay!!!

Another tough one, since Lara is the one thrown back in time I can only assume that Indiana Jones knows his surroundings better that Lara and will be able to use that to his advantage. While she's disorientated from the time travel Indy will opportunistically whip her guns out of her hands and take it from there. Indy wins.

Both are very used to jumping around and being very adventurous. Although I think Lara would be more nimble and be able for Indy since age isn't on his side. Lara climbs into a secret alcove and get a couple of shots off before Indy realises what's happening and how to react. Indy goes down.

Lara advances.

Indy whips one of the guns out of Lara's hands. Luckily for her she carries many guns and pops him in the cranium with her spare hand.
    Lara wins.

Lara wins the fight, realizing too late she is the reason the expedition went missing. Now for something special.

2nd INTERMISSION
    (Handicap Tag Battle)

Edward Cullen, Jacob Black, The 300
    edward%20cullen.jpgthecovenantpubd.jpg
    butler300.jpg

VS

The Hulk & Ash Williams

421366-war%20hulk_super.JPG
    179998-ash2_large.jpg

Thermopylae02.jpg
    Thrown back through time by a horocrux Edward Cullen and Jacob Black have found themselves drafted into the defense of Thermopylae by Leonidas. As they await the arrival of the Persian army they spy a pair of figures walking towards them.
    "Hey you primitivistic screwheads, that army you waiting on is dead. Now get out the way or me and my big buddy here will move you out the way."

Hulk Smash. End of.

The 300 gather into formation creating a semi-spherical sheild containg their comrades. They wait on Leonidas's call to create a gap and let their defenders leap into action.

Unfortunately thier communal sheild cannot cover every crack as the area is too large and this creates another flaw as they cannot throw spears without making themselves vunerable to shotgun fire.

Ash stands at a healthy distance and begins to reak havok on his counterparts with his shotgun providing covering fire for his buddy preparing to get those green fists of his in action.

As The Hulk approaches the call is made and the gap appears from which Edward and Jacob(transfroming into a wolf) pounce and go for an arm each.

But having too much confidence in their agility and speed they neglect to realise the strenght and ferocity of the approaching beast who grabs one in each hand mid air and holds them out for Ash as cannon fodder as he sprints towards them chainsaw raging.

The 300 now fall into disarray, organisation failing, Leonidas needs to retain structure or accept immenent death and failure.

A protective wall is created while a row of Spartans at the back prepare to launch thier spears. This means the end for Ash unfortunately as he has no protective layers and he lays skewered to the ground chainsaw still in full throttle.

The Hulk uses hiw newly decapitated corpses as baseball bats and smashes the wall to pieces. He makes serious ground before he is bombarded with spears which at first have little effect but begin to wear him down and weaken his defenses. He manages to kill 100 men before he is overcome and cannot carry on and falls to his knees.

Leonidas sees his opportunity and takes a giant leap spear in hand, using dead spartans for leverage he hits his target this time and impales The Hulks head.
    He stands, one foot on The Hulk's chest holding his spear in one hand and the other puching the air.

HAROOOOOO!!!

At the appearance of a giant green demon, and his companion with the strange arm and stick, the Spartans are clearly shaken. These men, who would willingly lay down their lives against all human odds, are not prepared to battle demon gods. The shot gun fire is totally unexpected. The awe soon fades and they send Edward and Jacob to meet the two, but Hulk leaps forward to meet them rips their heads from their bodies and tosses them into orbit. This creates some panic among the troops.
    The three hundred raise shields and let fly their spears. Those that reach Hulk only enrage him more and he rips them from his chest and flings them back at the soldiers. He lands among them creating havoc as Ash continues to fire; when Ash revs up the chainsaw and begins cutting his way through shields and helmets the fight is nearly over, Hulk's rage grows and grows and he smashes and stomps ceaselessly. When all is over Hulk stands atop the bloody pile of dead and dying. Among the dead, the mighty Leonidas, his shield ripped by Ashes chainsaw and his body sawn in two.
    Hulk and Ash take the win.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Hulk Smash. End of.

I was gonna write an epic response, but you can't argue with that logic.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    I was gonna write an epic response, but you can't argue with that logic.

World War Hulk FTW.:D

Ash and Hulk move The 300 and their allies out of the way and continue on their journey. Now on to Round 3.

BATTLE 1

Batman
    Look at that
    batman.jpg

VS

Elektra
    Look at this
    elektra2.jpg

Batman has come to the Himalayas searching for a reborn Ra's Al Ghul. Instead he finds the Demon's Heads's newest employee

I could use Tower of Babel but that would be boring. I fear that, if we took Batman Returns as an example, that Batman can be sucked in by women. However, I'm going to take Mad Love as inspiration here. No matter how much Batman's back is against the wall, he can strike a psychological blow on his prey. Bats will have Elektra blubbering for Daredevil by the time he's finished with her.

Batman would be just as "at home" on a mountain as he is in the city. His utility belt of tricks would still apply here. Elektra might be more disadvantaged by the lofty peaks. Skillwise the two are similar but I have to give the edge to Batman who is in total control of his emotions. He has always had a clear vision of his goals. Give this one to Batman.

Batman has faced incredible ninja warriors comparable to Elektra before and won.
    This battle should be no different.

Batman is obviously geared up for the Himalayas. He'll proceed on foot to prevent early detection. His clothing will most likely have to forgo much of the usual urban gadgets for equipment more suited to sub-zero temperatures and low altitude. With this reasoning I figure we can eliminate any of the upper-scale batsuit armors.
    Batman will have a familiarity with the area from maps etc, but he'll still be hunting Ra's lair. Batman will no doubt be ready for an attack.

Meanwhile Elektra is prepared. As Ra's employee she has been in his lair, she knows he's expecting Batman and she has prepared herself for the challenge. She also has the advantage of being at high altitude for a longer amount of time and has acclimatised to the lower oxygen levels.

Elektra also knows exactly when Batman is coming because she uses her weird psychic power to jump from the minds of people around him and is aware of his movements. She plans accordingly.

There is a major difference between Batman and Elektra: Elektra will kill, Batman will not. Elektra is an expert in the art.

Batman is going up a mountain. Elektra will have the higher ground on him. Sure he can use his grapple, but it's a mountain, not a building, he's going to have to do at least some climbing as he encounters the slope.

Batman is off his peak - he's out of his element; he's tired from climbing up the mountain; he isn't used to the low oxygen atmosphere.

Both are masters of stealth, though I'll give the advantage Elektra. I reckon her first attack, depending on the location, will be a long distance one, probably an arrow. Batman will dodge this and try to retaliate but she'll have disappeared. Batman was expecting trouble, now he know he has it.

When they eventually face each other it'll be an amazing battle. They're both masters of numerous martial arts. Batman probably has Elektra for strength, Elektra definitely has Batman for speed (she's been shown to deflect machine gun fire and move with a "bullet-time" speed.)

Batman has been known to take down much more impressive opponents, but he's always had time to plan a strategy and that strategy usually involves very specialised gadgets. On the side of a mountain with an unexpected Elektra he'll have no such luxuries.

Batman, tired from his climb & reduced oxygen intake, is too slow for Elektra and rather than try and beat him up as many of his enemies go in for (the likes of Joker would never really want a quick death) Elektra gets a well placed Sidh (sp?) straight into Batman's face. Brain over.

Elektra kills a legend. :(

As much as I love Batman, I think this may be too much for him to handle. Up mountains and in hand to hand combat(not saying he's crap jst he's at a slight disadvantage imo). This location seems alot more favourable to Elektra for some reason so I think I'm gonna have to go with the chick.

Elektra to win. :(

So Batman will scale the mountain under the cover of darkness. Elektra won't expecting Batman as she wouldn't be constantly using her mind powers to find out where Batman is.

Batman would generally use his stealth training to bypass any ninjas that might waiting to greet Batman.

Eventually he makes it to the central chamber and sneaks up on who he believes to be Ra's Al Ghul. But in reality it is a decoy, Elektra had sent out rumours into the world in the hope of baiting Batman. And it worked.
    Elektra launches an attack on Batman. And they engage in an epic martial arts battle.

And anyone who thinks that because you don't kill someone, that you can't break every bone in their body is in for a very painful lesson.

This is precisely the reason my money is on Batman. If you fight enemies and never kill them, you need extraordinary endurance and fighting skills. You could almost say that killing is the lazy fighters option :P

Batman

• Advertisement

Batman narrowly avoids death at Elektra's hands and continues on his quest.

Advertisement