Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humanitas Tournament Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

So far these are my favorite victory arguments. You people are strange.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I think Rorschach will win out.

Snake is pretty bad ass and is generally someone you'd want on your side in a fight, pretty well able to handle himself, seems decent with weapons etc etc, an action hero with some attitude and some grey matter.

Rorschach on the other hand is someone you'd be terrified of if he wasn't on your side... and he was just walking down the street... a mile away... and had just read an amusing lyric...
    Amazingly inventive, total nutjob in ways and amazing clarity of purpose and focus in others.

I reckon Snake would be physically stronger, Rorschach is a bit of a runt after all, but the difference is Rorschach never holds back and hits hard first time every time. There is no convention when fighting Rorschach, you're either of the mind that you're going to stop him without hesitation or he's stopped you.

Ding ding Rorschach victorious.
    Damn. I'd be more of a fan of Han Solo than Sarah Connor, but she's a much meaner fighter, most likely a better shot, she'll use whatever she needs to get the job done.
    She also knows how to manipulate people etc... even if Han managed to beat her in a straight fight she'd most likely play dead and then jam a screwdriver in his weiner when he goes to check her out.

+1 Sarah
    Rhyme wrote: »
    Sometimes brawn beats brains and Conan has got the former in abundance caving in Phantoms skull with a camel punch after 'stealthing' it up with camo paint and some expert costumed espionage. The Phantom may be the man who cannot die, but Conan knows what's best in life.

"Shut the Hell up Billy Zane" - Derek Zoolander
    John Rambo shoves those three seashells up Spartans ass and throws him back into the cryo tube. Ain't no messing with guerrila warfare, hand-to-hand combat, killer archery and snake charming... what's Spartan got? Knitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I'm also confused by the Phantom's progress...

His guns definitely give him an advantage, but there are a lot of gun-wielders in this tourney so maybe he'll be stopped quite soon.

Is Flash Gordon in this tourney? If we have the Phantom we really should have Flash (ahhhh ahhhh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Not since a young upstart called Rhyme has someone written such convincing arguments, kudos Fewcifur!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

In my day...

...wait, aren't I older than you?

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Not since a young upstart called Rhyme has someone written such convincing arguments, kudos Fewcifur!

Why thankaya!

Now back to the fight at hand... if only I knew how to quote the other thread into this thread! Bah!

When I meant McClaine doesn't have weaknesses, I was talking more along the lines of a way of killing him without actually fighting him (eg. bones in a graveyard) or a way to manipulate him (e.g. salt barrier etc.) Dean doesn't do hugely well against humans if I recall correctly, and remove Dean from Sam and I think you'll find he'd be dead long long ago.
    I'll give Mickey the point though that McClane is old, I was more thinking Die Hard 1 McClane.

My point about going through hell and walking on glass was just that in The Supernatural universe the main characters are allowed take punishment that would kill any human. I always place these fights in a world much like our own, so when you get thrown across a room with massive force you're gonna break a rib or something... in such a world I reckon McClane is tougher than Dean. Dean only survives so much because the way the show is written it's as if he's super human.

But I can easily see how one might go for Dean, he does come trumps an awful lot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I'm also confused by the Phantom's progress...

His guns definitely give him an advantage, but there are a lot of gun-wielders in this tourney so maybe he'll be stopped quite soon.

Is Flash Gordon in this tourney? If we have the Phantom we really should have Flash (ahhhh ahhhh)
    Sorry, no Flash in this one.........

Sorry, no Flash in this one.........

Nor Mandrake or, um, Lothar? What was the deal with Lothar... he was totally an attempt to diversify the cast.

And of course there were the kids... *sigh*

Nor Mandrake or, um, Lothar? What was the deal with Lothar... he was totally an attempt to diversify the cast.

And of course there were the kids... *sigh*
    Wow, you actually watched that show? I am impressed.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Snake Eyes. Guns versus sword? Nah, this guy has both!
    Another classic reply.:D

Wow, you actually watched that show? I am impressed.

It was a true staple of the action loving cartoon diet ... it's repeated every morning on some channel, and since I'm normally still awake I was going to check it out, but doing such a thing has ruined my memories of The Transformers, X-men and He-Man. Only thing that seems to have stood the test of time so far is...

Thunder... THUNder... THUNDER... THUNDERCATS HOOOOOoooooo!

:)

• Advertisement

Brock actually holding his own against Cap. I am impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Can't believe I almost missed out on Brock. Any fans of the show know that he's practically unstoppable.

Can't believe I almost missed out on Brock. Any fans of the show know that he's practically unstoppable.
    Thus the reason I picked him for this. I mean the man has walked through armies of guys dressed as butterflies and never had a hair out of place.

I just realized every fight I posted in this tournament would actually make an outstanding tag-team combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

maybe there should be tag team fights in the future?

Where am I gonna find another 32 competitors?

There must be more characters.
    or recycle as teams even their individual personalities would come into play.
    for instance I don't think Sarah Connor and Han Solo as a team would get along at all.
    It would be interesting...

Deki wrote: »
    There must be more characters.
    or recycle as teams even their individual personalities would come into play.
    for instance I don't think Sarah Connor and Han Solo as a team would get along at all.
    It would be interesting...
    They would get along fine. Right up to the point where Sarah stabs Han in the crotch again.

no she wouldn't help Han, she just let whoever take him. if they could...

• Advertisement

She would help him if he handed over a stash of laser guns for her to go shoot terminators with.

Han Solo would expect a return on his investment.

A happy ending you might say

Like no surprise genital mutilations?

Han wouldn't let her do that Wolf. That's just evil.

Tag teams would open this whole thing up really...

I bet Elektra is a master at the kick to the nuts, so combined with Sarah and her cock-knocker attack... wow... they'd be unstoppable!

Only solution may be a punch straight in the babymaker, but I don't know if any of the guys would do such a thing, and a kick to the vagigi is useless (as shown by South Park) and neither is the dreaded boob punch (see King Pin.)

They truly are the master sex.

• Advertisement

I said surprise.

I said surprise.
    The idea of that even made me cringe, although I really can't imagine...

That "The Zeppo" episode of Buffy... I was considering that and, meh. It was the big "Xander can be on his own too y'know" ... and it doesn't have any huge relevance to his fight with Casey Jones really. As far as I recall Xander was just running around like a scared side-kick. If that was Casey Jones he wouldn't have brought the guys back from the dead, he would have beaten the knife wielding jerk to death.

As for fighting superhuman beings all the time... when has Xander actually done that alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

In fairness he has staked his fair share of Vamps, especially in the prelude (which we didn't see) to S3 where they had to deal without having Buffy with them.

That "The Zeppo" episode of Buffy... I was considering that and, meh. It was the big "Xander can be on his own too y'know" ... and it doesn't have any huge relevance to his fight with Casey Jones really. As far as I recall Xander was just running around like a scared side-kick. If that was Casey Jones he wouldn't have brought the guys back from the dead, he would have beaten the knife wielding jerk to death.

As for fighting superhuman beings all the time... when has Xander actually done that alone?
    He the one who finally stopped Dark Willow in Season 7. He whapped Glory with a wrecking ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

i wish i'd found this video sooner :D

for all you Jack Bauer fans:
    (semi nsfw)
    Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuzPN_8GwYA

Jack Bauer is in the final battle of Round 1

Green Arrow.

Since OYL GA has been upgraded to a serious, Batman like level of physical prowess, taking down some of the very toughest in the DCU. Added to his original sharpeye skills you'd be exhausted getting to him, and he would just be warming up.
    Knew there was a reason I put GA in this thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yeah but its not ME getting to him, its Solomon, who has a far amount of experience and prowess of his own

Pter wrote: »
    Yeah but its not ME getting to him, its Solomon, who has a far amount of experience and prowess of his own
    Did you read the bold part? Batman level skills physically, one of the world's top archers, and a quiver full of tricks equal to Bat's belt.

Fanboi!!! :P

Also have Elektra, Snake Eyes, Marv, and Captain America waiting for the Bat. he may win, but it shall be bloody.

Hmmm, they will be tough battles.

Marv is his next fight.

Ah bananas.

Altho parallels can be drawn between Bane and Marv

• Advertisement

Marv is bringing the cuffs.

Well since Wolf says I better have a good reason, I will give him 10 reasons why Batman will be the winner...
    1. Batman's costume is much cooler.- Batman wins.
    2. Batman has a lot more money so can put his crime fighting ideas to
    use- Batman wins.
    3. Batman has a neat cave to retreat to and plan his assault on crime.- Batman wins.
    4. Batman has a handy dandy utility belt with handy dandy tools and
    weapons.- Batman wins.
    5. Batman has a Batmobile, a Batcopter, a Batboat etc. He's equipped
    with everything.- Batman wins.
    6. Batman has beaten countless criminals. He's experienced.- Batman wins.
    7. Batman has dedicated his life to fighting crime. He's in it for the long
    haul.- Batman wins.
    8. Batman is in terrific shape, trained to fight, skilled in weaponry.-Batman
    wins.
    9. Batman never gives up. He belives in himself. He doesn't quit.- Batman
    wins.
    10. Lastly and perhaps most importantly Batman met up with
    Bullseye in one of those DC/Marvel crossover deals and guess
    what? Not only did Bullseye fail to take Batman out with a
    thrown batarang, Batman knocked Bullseye out with one
    punch. Just One Punch- Batman wins.:D
    Wow, I am impressed.

He the one who finally stopped Dark Willow in Season 7. He whapped Glory with a wrecking ball.

Ah, sure he talked to Willow and Glory was a terrible fighter. Neither are relelvant to the Casey mon,

And Vampires are usually ****e fighters until they learn to fight, I still wouldn't have given Xander much of an edge of Casey.

I really don't know who to go for between GA and Solomon Kane... I know little about GA and even less about Solomon K.

Ah, sure he talked to Willow and Glory was a terrible fighter. Neither are relelvant to the Casey mon,

And Vampires are usually ****e fighters until they learn to fight, I still wouldn't have given Xander much of an edge of Casey.
    Fair enough. he does know archery quite well though.

Oh my.

Ripley vs Indy. How does one call this? Both essentially have academic backgrounds and aren't primarily known as fighters, yet both of them have been known to kick serious ass in their time. Gonna be a tough one to call. Ripley has had the more dangerous enemies to deal with, but Indy wins on the amount of bad guys he's taken out.
    Indy has whip skills. Tough one.

Sorry about that Fewcifur. Just imagine what it will be like in the next round though.

I'm having trouble with this one mainly because I find it hard to imagine them even wanting to fight each other. Even if they were mad enough to fight each other seems like it would end in laughter instead of any real damage.:confused:

The facehugger belongs in a museum!- Indy to Ripley

I think they would be good fighting against something (terrible) else.

• Advertisement

Damn it Deki, now you've raised another point to confuse me. I really can't picture them going after each other. Unless... Indy was after something buried in the AvP temple and Ripley was all "just blow the god damn thing up!" Nah, that's not even hugely plausible. Harungah.
    We could just settle it all and assume we're talking about Alien Resurrection Ripley, in which case she'd just bleed on him and all would be over. Dang.

Advertisement