Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we have to let others review the house on the last month of lease?

Options
  • 03-02-2010 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

hi,guys,

the situation is our lease is due at end of February, and i did give a landlady and agent a month notice, which was in middle of January, but i just got a call from agent, basically she said we had to let people review the house, as it is in the standard lease contract, but we still live in the house. and we wont feel comfortable with it. as the problem of our personal property and so on.

just wondering whether it is true or not in lease contract, and should we let them to do it?

thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

of course its reasonable to expect people will view. What do you expect that every tennancy has to be followed by a period of vacancy ? Im sorry but thats rediculous and if that was the norm would infact had to be reflected in higher rents to make up for the vacancy period.

Your entitled to due notice from the landlord they cannot just walk in unannounced but you have to allow them to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it'll be written in the lease, you should check it.

And of course it reasonable. If you don't like it you could always move out early but you would still be obliged to pay full rent to the end of lease

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Check your lease contract. Read it carefully.

If there's nothing in there about it, then no, you are not obliged to let anybody into your home. Even your landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭gilbert

the problem is our stuff is still there, who is going to ensure our stuff secured? and agent wants to access all rooms within one night notice. that means she wants to access the room tomorrow night,

and there is another issue here, i am not sure how to deal with it? because of wet weather and shower steam, lots of black spots on the toilet wall, just wondering should we repaint it or landlady's responsibility?

thank you, guys.

D3PO wrote: »
    of course its reasonable to expect people will view. What do you expect that every tennancy has to be followed by a period of vacancy ? Im sorry but thats rediculous and if that was the norm would infact had to be reflected in higher rents to make up for the vacancy period.

Your entitled to due notice from the landlord they cannot just walk in unannounced but you have to allow them to view.

yeah, as in her shoes i can understand the cost of that, but who is going to ensure our stuff that won't get lose at this stage? also that means we have to clean the house by end of tonight? how could it be possible for us to get all job done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

If it's in your lease, like everybody else said, you have to allow it - most leases state that the last month is to be used. You can actually be there when they bring people in, there's nothing that states you have to be out of the place but IMO, that's just uncomfortable for all involved.

As for your stuff, you really should ensure anything of value that can easily be nicked is stored away securely. I doubt you'd get anywhere with the agent/landlord if things go missing. For the most part, the agent/landlord will probably be in the same room with the people viewing but it's easy for things to go missing, so don't leave small things out in the open really...

J-blk wrote: »
    If it's in your lease, like everybody else said, you have to allow it - most leases state that the last month is to be used. You can actually be there when they bring people in, there's nothing that states you have to be out of the place but IMO, that's just uncomfortable for all involved.

As for your stuff, you really should ensure anything of value that can easily be nicked is stored away securely. I doubt you'd get anywhere with the agent/landlord if things go missing. For the most part, the agent/landlord will probably be in the same room with the people viewing but it's easy for things to go missing, so don't leave small things out in the open really...

thanks for your reply. it seem like nothing i can do with it, i have to let them have a view of the place, just uncomfortable with it.

gilbert wrote: »
    it seem like nothing i can do with it, i have to let them have a view of the place, just uncomfortable with it.

That's totally understandable... but unfortunately, it's how things are done and is only fair to the landlord too.

I assume you're preparing to move out at this stage anyway - would you maybe consider packing some things up and storing them at a friend's place for your last month there? It might somewhat put your mind at ease.

yeah, as in her shoes i can understand the cost of that, but who is going to ensure our stuff that won't get lose at this stage? also that means we have to clean the house by end of tonight? how could it be possible for us to get all job done?

Tonight ? Well theres a line here they cant expect to come in at such short notice.

Now this is taken directly from Threshold

Privacy

As a tenant you are entitled to quiet and peaceful enjoyment of your home. Your landlord is only allowed enter with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement with you. If the property is put up for sale, ask the landlord to agree viewing times with you. If your landlord repeatedly enters your flat without your permission contact Threshold for advice.

So as you read it it would technically indicate you dont have to let the landlord in unless its written into your lease but it also implies that a common sense approach should prevail.

I.E Landlord gives you proper notice and you agree a plan based on that notice. Perhaps you should call out your concerns about your property etc the logical solution is that the landlord suggest that he view the propertie to potential tennants whilst your in the property .

Theres always an area where agreement can be reached. However if they only contacted you today to say they were coming tonight thats bang outta line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

You dont have to clean the house though. We just moved into a new house recently and when we viewed it, the previous tennants were still there. There was stuff everywhere as they had 2 very young children. It wasn't a problem for us to see through the clutter and at the actual place.

Also, if its not in the lease that the place must be presentable in this situation then you're under no obligation. If the landlord would prefer it cleaned, then he/she can pay a cleaner to do it or wait for you to move out.

• Advertisement

That's totally understandable... but unfortunately, it's how things are done and is only fair to the landlord too.

I assume you're preparing to move out at this stage anyway - would you maybe consider packing some things up and storing them at a friend's place for your last month there? It might somewhat put your mind at ease.

i did not realize that i have to do it so quick, as i still have at lease 26 days left on my lease. but it pushes me a lot, haha:D ,thank you for ur tip.

and there is another issue here, i am not sure how to deal with it? because of wet weather and shower steam, lots of black spots on the toilet wall, just wondering should we repaint it or landlady's responsibility?

thank you!
    :D

lots of black spots on the toilet wall, just wondering should we repaint it or landlady's responsibility?

landlords responsibility. You may be able to remove most of it with a damp cloth though it its only the odd spec.

That sounds like mold. You should be able to clean it off the wall for now (some bleach works well) and then air the place out as best you can (a dehumidifier helps more). Search here for some threads on dealing with mold, there are a few.

You shouldn't repaint it, no and doing just that wouldn't help in the long run anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

lots of black spots on the toilet wall, just wondering should we repaint it or landlady's responsibility?

Sounds like mould. If you spray it with bleach and give it a wipe it should come off. Cover your mouth with a mask before you do though to prevent breathing in any spores.

EDIT Just seen you replied at the same time J-blk, great minds!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That sounds like mold. You should be able to clean it off the wall for now
    Warm water and a cloth can remove this sometimes :D

As for your apartment, unless it says in the lease that the apartment should be kept tidy at all times, don't tidy it at short notice. If a couple of days notice is give, tidy a little bit, but if the landlord sounds like they're chancing their arm, don't tidy at all.

thanks for all replies, good tip for it, :D, ur guys are so helpful.
    specially the_syco,J-blk,D3PO,John_Mc,Lollymcd

Advertisement