Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free/Cheap/Different things to go in Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

inisboffin wrote: »
    Something similar to geocache is the dropspot
    I LOVE this idea, and had great craic with it in the States.

It seems they've changed the website, I know of 3 or 4 spots that used to be mapped in Galway, but never used them. They might be connected to a similar thing. I will ask my friend who did it here and maybe have some Galway dropspots, perhaps one just for Boardsies!!

That's a brilliant idea. We could have great fun with that.

And having one just for boardsies would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

For the geocaching thing, do you need to spend alot on a gps thingy or is there cheap one that will do the job, anywhere to get them in town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

I've been told that lots of modern cellphones have some GPS capability built in. Never really investigated though, don't know how usable it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

hoody wrote: »
    A good indoor activity would be the Pureskill place up in Knocknacarra, think its €12 an hour to try out a selection of indoor sports. Supposed to be great fun, I gave it a go down the docks during the VOR stopover last year and it was good craic. There does need to be more indoor stuff around town though.

We did a tournament with different businesses in Galway in Pureskills a couple of months back. Was good craic alright.
    Unfortunately i discovered i was pure ****e at most sports but sure was a good laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

JohnCleary wrote: »
    OK so we all know we can walk the fecking prom or Barna/Rinville woods, but what is there to do in Galway that people may not think of off the top of their heads

I've still not been to the museum, really must go there someday.

A little different (on a real slow day) but what's the craic with sitting in on court cases? Can you literly just walk into the room when a case is on? I know it's a bit weird but imho it's a good thing - you sit in on someone being sent away for a few years for committing a crime and I guarantee you'll think twice about doing such an act :pac:

Anything else? I'm not an arty-farty type but would love to experience something i'm not used to - inspire me, boardsies!

the city museum is many things, least of all a place with artefacts. its also the city art gallery and a general place to gather.there is very often something happening down around there.

you can visit a court case, i don't recommend the district cos the judge just mumbles away. the circuit is open to all unless its a chld custody or abuse case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

Carolyyn wrote: »
    Charlie Byrne's bookshop is always a great way to pass time in town..!

Then if you're the sporty type there's new tennis and basketball courts over in Doughiska, and tennis courts in Westside and Ballinfoyle.

Joining something like the kayaking club is another idea. It costs E80 for the year but works out great value cos all you need is a wetsuit, they provide all the gear and access to boats for most of the year. And there's loads of great places to go kayaking in and around Galway.
    Can anyone join the kayak club even if you've never stepped into one before:confused: and can you join anytime of year:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

lookinbusy wrote: »
    For the geocaching thing, do you need to spend alot on a gps thingy or is there cheap one that will do the job, anywhere to get them in town?
    Keeping in mind that this thread is the first I've heard of geocaching, couldn't you just type the coordinates into Google Earth and memorize where it points you to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭airvan

Galway City things to do:

City walking tour
    Bus tour
    Walking the canals (need guide)

Salthill Prom
    Ballyloughan “prom”
    Cruise: the Corrib, or Galway
    etc
    etc
    etc
    etc
    etc

Ok unJustMary, excellent but after ALL that. What else is there to do?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

susanroth wrote: »
    Can anyone join the kayak club even if you've never stepped into one before:confused: and can you join anytime of year:confused:

Hiya the kayaking club runs beginner courses starting around April until July and this is the best way for a complete beginner to get involved. Otherwise you would need to have some kayaking experience before you could join. You can email the club info@galwaykayakclub.com for more information. I know that the summer courses filled up pretty quickly last year, and the earlier you get your initial training the better so that you can enjoy the water throughout the summer. It's a fantastice way to spend a summer evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

lookinbusy wrote: »

We got a pretty basic one on Komplett for about €100. There's probably cheaper ones now though. But as unJustMary said, a phone with GPS would do the job initially, borrow someone's maybe!
    Dunjohn wrote: »
    Keeping in mind that this thread is the first I've heard of geocaching, couldn't you just type the coordinates into Google Earth and memorize where it points you to?

You could do that too. If you're familiar with the area it's usually pretty easy. There's a number of caches in Galway that are possible to find without the use of a GPS. There's generally encrypted clues and sometimes spoiler pictures that usually paint a pretty clear picture! We've hidden 4 caches in Galway, 3 of which could be found without a GPS I'd say.

On the thread topic, season tickets to the Galway Film Society are €36, works out €4 per film, one film every sunday for nine weeks in the Town Hall Theatre. There's also a student and unwaged discount of €32 which is even cheaper :)

They seem to screen European films that have done the festival circuit that you aren't likely to see anywhere else, apart from maybe 1am on RTE 2 some idle Tuesday :pac: Some of those films are good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

airvan wrote: »
    Ok unJustMary, excellent but after ALL that. What else is there to do?:P

:P right back at ya!

Bone carving workshop: www.bonecarving.ie - one-day classes are not cheap, but definitely different

Candlemaking: www.connemaracandles.ie

Connemara Heritage and History Centre (http://www.connemaraheritage.com/)

I've not tried any of 'em .. but have seen enough ads and/or gone past often enough to be sure they exist. (Bone carving is very new, though).

After that, I'd be suggesting longer term clubs, classes etc. Zillions I could suggest ... too many to list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwaygal09

Advertisement