Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

SB-08 wrote: »
    I hope U2 don't have to pull out as a result of Bono's back surgery. Would be such a shame for all of those fans and the band themselves as I know the gig means alot to them. Although tbh spinal surgery is very serious and even if he is able to perform in 4 weeks he surely won't be able to give it 100% and may have to stand still or even sit which will be sad to see considering they will have wanted to put on an amazing gig. Hopefully he makes a speedy recovery.:(

Agreed.

Some of the things being said on efestivals is shocking and totally goes against the Glastonbury spirit. Makes me angry.
    I'm not a massive fan but in the last week as it draws closer and the weather brightens, I've found myself getting excited. Just imagining the atmosphere and the fact that it's the Pyramid stage at night with the lights and 80,000 people and good music.
    Hope he's ok in the long run as well though. That's terrible for anyone.

And had my first tent run today! Under an hour! Not bad! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

rumor has it U2 will be pulling out :(

with Dizzee Rascal (ugh) being promoted to top spot. should know by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Dizzie Rascal? FFS he is nowhere near big or good enough to headline the 40th bloody anniversary.:rolleyes: Jay Z got away with it because he is probably the top rapper in the world, whereas Dizzie is mearly a UK act and a pretty appauling one at that imo.My guess is they will get Coldplay to do it - at least their music is somewhat similar to U2's. Would love The Stones to headline but they are not going to stand in for anyone obviously. Oh well I guess U2 will just have to wait till next year - they will still be touring then so it suits - and maybe they might pop overe here to play the new Aviva Stadium next summer too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Goat_Boy_jones

Dizzee Rascal instead of U2! I'd pull the curtains over if he was playing in my back garden...

Better not happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Not too fussed about U2 backing out, but Dizee would be an absolutely ****e replacement act!!!
    Have seen him a couple of times before, and could barely make out what he was mumbling on about. Shout into the mic a bit with random high pitched syllables thrown in for good measure, not exactly Pyramid stage material...

• Advertisement

tman wrote: »
    Not too fussed about U2 backing out, but Dizee would be an absolutely ****e replacement act!!!
    Have seen him a couple of times before, and could barely make out what he was mumbling on about. Shout into the mic a bit with random high pitched syllables thrown in for good measure, not exactly Pyramid stage material...

Yeah not at all...anyone who thinks otherwise please stand up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

u2 have canceled the north american leg this year, there out of glastonbury as well in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If dizzee rascal replaces u2 ill go ape****...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Confirmed: no U2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

theyre replaced u2 on the line up with "TBC" so it wont be dizzee rascal anyways. i wonder who they can get at this notice to replace them?

Hmmm, well Robart Plant said don't rule out Zeppelin, I doubt they will play tho...

I'd say were looking at Coldplay or Radiohead...40th anniversary and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Don't rule out a surprise headlining act, i mean them not announcing who it will be, then Coldplay just walking on stage. That's my theory anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

my money is on rolf harris..

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

As much as i also want rolf harris it will prob be coldplay.

http://www.metro.co.uk/music/827742-glastonbury-2010-who-will-replace-u2

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Coldplay will obviously be the replacement. I would be fuming if I was one of the several thousands of people who spend hundreds of pounds mainly to see U2 headline - and put on what I am sure would've been one of the best live performances they have ever done - and instead to have to sit through Blandplay bore the arses off everyone with their inoffensive cappuccino rock (and yes I have had the misfortune of seeing them live:rolleyes:) Sorry but I can't stand Coldplay - to me they represent everything that I dislike about U2 - they posess none of the many great things about them and Martin's entire stage persona is a total Bono rip-off. They have a couple of good tunes but are incapable, even with Brian Eno, to truly evolve and could only dream of achieving the same level of creativity as U2 did in the 90's. And I am sick of the British media harping on constantly about them being the biggest band in the world - they are not even in the same league as global stadium acts such as U2 or The Stones or even The Chilie Peppers when it comes to box-office draw - 70% of their latest tour failed to sell out in the US despite being mainly arenas. Didn't they even fail to sell 40,000 tickets in Phoenix Park last year? I seem to recall Robbie Williams selling something insane like 140,000 tickets a few years ago there .:rolleyes:

Sorry about the rant - but I was really looking forward to see what U2 had up their sleves. I for one am glad I didnt spend the money. I know it is overall a very good line-up but for the 40th Anniversary - a line-up with Muse (although amazing live) and Coldplay headling just looks like any other year. I'm seeing Stevie Wonder in Dublin a few days before he headlines anyway and The O2 will be a much better venue for an act like him.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

SB-08 wrote: »
    Didn't they even fail to sell 40,000 tickets in Phoenix Park last year?

It being a Monday night could take some of the blame for that.

I feel sorry for all the fans who were heading over especially to catch U2 but at the end of the day Glasto is not about one act...It's about the smaller stages and the vibe thats created, especially at night when the place lights up...They won't be dissappointed...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Now Kylie is a good suggestion from that Metro article seeing as she missed out a few years back. Would prefer that to Coldplay for the 50th time, especially as Muse are also recent repeat headliners as well makes for a pretty samey lineup.

Kylie has been ruled out

http://virtualfestivals.com/latest/news/7802/-/Who-will-replace-U2-on-the-Pyramid-Stage-this-June

I AM a Coldplay fan but I can understand that it does look like the headliners of any other year bar Stevie. Still gutted about U2 but if they can even manage to get someone like Coldplay I'd be happy as would a lot of people.

Whoever they get people will moan which is infuriating and not the Glasto spirit.

I would truly love Paul McCartney to be honest but it's the whole festival I'm going for and while U2 would have been amazing, it is only 2 hours out of the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I feel sorry for all the fans who were heading over especially to catch U2 but at the end of the day Glasto is not about one act...It's about the smaller stages and the vibe thats created, especially at night when the place lights up...They won't be dissappointed...

I agree, the last time I went to glastonbury I watched five or six bands.. I was there for five days, there is just so much more that the festival has to offer, as well as amazing live bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

i hope its coldplay so i can happily go see the Flaming Lips headline the Other stage

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

Gorillaz are filling the U2 slot for friday night. I'm delighted i was going to go go and see them in the O2, but have a chance to see them here instead.

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news/gorillaz-announced-as-new-friday-headliners

Obviously the buzz of U2 cant be replaced but I'm damn happy with Gorillaz.
    Just clashes with Broken Bells.... :eek::mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Oh dear, Dizzee really is that delusional....

Rapper Dizzee Rascal is convinced he could have taken over from U2 as the headlining act at legendary music festival Glastonbury, after the band was forced to pull out following Bono's back surgery.

The Irish rockers were named as the leading act at the festival's 40th anniversary in June, but an emergency operation on Bono's back on Friday meant the band had to scrap all its upcoming gigs - leaving the music event without a main headliner.

Damon Albarn's band Gorillaz was swiftly booked to take over the prestigious slot, but Rascal, who is playing lower on the bill at the festival, had hoped he would be given the honour.

He tells The Sun, "I hope Bono pulls through quickly so he can deliver again. U2 are legends, but I believe I could have pulled it off.

"I supported Red Hot Chilli Peppers throughout Europe, so I know about entertaining a rock crowd. I know the music I've got works with the masses and works loud. That's 90 per cent of it.

"My fitness and performance is there too. I like to give as much as I can. I want to jump around like a nutter (lunatic) and get people going. I want people to remember my show when they are old

LINK : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/1/20100527/ten-rascal-was-ready-for-u2-s-glastonbur-c60bd6d.html

He would have gone down as well as a fart in an astronaut suit

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭markcellardoor

I've just checked the status of my ticket today on the See tracking website and it says my ticket has been despatched but the email i received was saying that DX would soon send me an email so i could track my ticket. I know on the website it says that international deliveries are organized by registered Royal Mail not DX (who don't)

I can't recall if there was an option for an international order but i'm sure i would have checked it. Should i start to panic or do you think this is a default email? Should i contact See? Anybody else in the same situtaion?

what kind of emails did everybody get?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

I think it is a default mail as I got the same thing. Your ticket will be fine, you should get a mail off DX soon to say it has been dispatched, then you can track it on royal mail. Just make sure you or someone else is in to sign for it or they may send it back and you will have to collect on site .. I think ??

What do people think of Gorrilaz taking over the U2 slot ? I was hoping for Paul McCartney actually, but I cant complain about Gorrilaz they will do a great job, plenty of top tunes off there albums, collaborators on site and a live band featuring members of the clash will make it extra special.
    I would really like to see the flaming lips too but the lure of the Pyramid stage will probably edge it.

:D

I still haven't heard anything about tickets :(

I would have LOVED Paul McCartney. As in if I had only seen him for the whole thing, I would have loved it.
    Still Gorillaz has gotten me surprisingly excited with the possibility of one cracker of a show.
    I was hoping to go see Broken Bells up the Park previously but I want a good spot at the Pyramid stage as I feel Damon Albarn realises how much is riding on their performance.
    If he gets Mos Def, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble and Snoop Dogg up, we'd be laughing! :pac:

Ah lads. This day month. Excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Got into work this morning and my ticket was on my desk waiting for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Now it starts to get exciting.

I'm expecting two deliveries of tickets so hoping they appear tomorrow, and also hoping the one with my ticket in arrives first.

Advertisement