Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tonykinlan

Hey,
    I'm a press Photographer and I'm heading over to Glastonbury this year for the 3rd time and I'm looking for an Irish perspective on Glasto.
    So anyone who is going over and wants to get their picture in the paper please send me a pm.

Tony Kinlan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

gazzer wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there are any shops/stalls near the entrance to the festival where slabs of beer can be bought? Prob wont get a chance from when we get the bus from the aiport to when we arrive to buy any beer.

Nope, the festival site is basically in the middle of nowhere, and most of the tiny local village shuts down for the festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Does anybody know if there are any shops/stalls near the entrance to the festival where slabs of beer can be bought? Prob wont get a chance from when we get the bus from the aiport to when we arrive to buy any beer.

You'd be lucky tbh... Maybe I was just being blind, but the past 2 years I haven't been able to find any slabs at all, only single cans for sale.

Gonna borrow my girlfriends granny trolly and fill it with booze this year - laugh all you want, I'll be the guy with drink left over by Saturday!:D

Made my list last night and going shopping for essentials on Saturday... Can't bloody wait now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The nearest place you'd find regular shops open that you could buy slabs of beer in would be in Shepton Mallet or Glastonbury, neither of which are within walking distance of the site though. If your getting a taxi from the airport then a couple of extra quid should persuade him to go via a beer seller somewhere whilst you run in and pick up the last few supplies.

You will still have a long way to carry stuff once you get to the site though, so don't get too carried away with what you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I am bringing a suitcase with me (one of those ones that are designed for carry on luggage). Im just going to put some clothes and toiletries in it as well as my small Lidl 2 man tent which just neatly fits in. Going to get a sleeping bag and mat when I get there. There will still be some room for beer in the case so I think what I will do is get some beer when we get to Bristol Bus station as it turns out we have a 40 minute stopover there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't expect to be wheeling that case along at all, the wheels will fall off and the handle will break and you'll be stuck with a case you have no way of carrying. Best to have a bag with strap that you can stick over your shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Goat_Boy_jones

I am bringing a suitcase with me (one of those ones that are designed for carry on luggage). Im just going to put some clothes and toiletries in it as well as my small Lidl 2 man tent which just neatly fits in. Going to get a sleeping bag and mat when I get there. There will still be some room for beer in the case so I think what I will do is get some beer when we get to Bristol Bus station as it turns out we have a 40 minute stopover there.

Na man, what ya need is a fold up trolly with big wheels and masting tape...

Been at Glasto 4 times and still have the same Trolly... Wheely suitcase wont last long...

Pick a fold up trolly up over there or get one in woddies etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ugh getting the ferry over and back on my lonesome, bad decision but when i got my finger out flights were way to expensive... doesnt seem i'll get into glastonbury till 8pm after boarding a ferry at 8am!

just spent a small fortune on gear this morning too, still it'll be worth it - only ~5 days to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

ugh getting the ferry over and back on my lonesome, bad decision but when i got my finger out flights were way to expensive... doesnt seem i'll get into glastonbury till 8pm after boarding a ferry at 8am!

just spent a small fortune on gear this morning too, still it'll be worth it - only ~5 days to go!!

Looks like we are getting the same ferry from Rosslare. What do you mean 8pm? The ferry arrives at 12.30 so then 3 and a half hours drive [give it 4 and half with traffic] and bob's your uncle!

Only hit me today how close it is and how I'll actually BE there. :D:D:D:D:D I've been planning this for so long I've neglected research for the two jobs I'll be taking July and August. Hope I haven't over glastobated myself. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

snazzy wrote: »
    Looks like we are getting the same ferry from Rosslare. What do you mean 8pm? The ferry arrives at 12.30 so then 3 and a half hours drive [give it 4 and half with traffic] and bob's your uncle!

Only hit me today how close it is and how I'll actually BE there. :D:D:D:D:D I've been planning this for so long I've neglected research for the two jobs I'll be taking July and August. Hope I haven't over glastobated myself. :confused:

getting sail and rail, dublin to holyhead onto bristol temple meads upsettingly!

• Advertisement

snazzy wrote: »
    Hope I haven't over glastobated myself. :confused:

Nothing wrong with a bit of glastobation in the privacy of your own home.

:D:D:D

Bought a few supplies today and checked out the campervan I'm borrowing, just need to pick up a couple more things and a gazebo I think then figure out what time we are leaving on Bristol morning. Did notice yesterday that they are actually allowing people to arrive in the campervan fields from the Tuesday afternoon this year, and also allowing access to the carpparks as well, although strangely although you are allowed to park up on the Tuesday night, your not allowed to sleep in the car even though you cannot get into the site and setup your tents. :confused:

If you've got BBC Four then there is a Glastonbury program on now covering the history of the festivals allegedly, Avalon to Jay-Z.

BBC Point West just said we are getting temps just over 20 for Wed-Fri and a very, very small chance of rain on Thurs, they didn't make any claims for Sat or Sun yet.

They did confirm you can sleep in your cars on the Tuesday night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

think my wellies are staying in Dublin to be replaced by sun screen.

bring it on.. Glasto number 4

If you don't take wellies then it is guaranteed to be a wet one, the only way to be sure of it being sunny is to take wellies and full waterproofs.

You are risking the weather turning wrong for all of us. :mad: :D

bring it on.. Glasto number 4
    Number 12 for me, my first was the 25th anniversary one. :D:D:D

Missed '97. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Ive no room for wellies or wet gear in my carry on bag for the Ryanair flight so I will have to buy them over there IF they are required. They wont though as the weather is going to be perfect :D

One other thing. Can anybody recomend some good dance acts to see? Im thinking of some trance/electronica/Japanese Popstars type acts?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

I'm not brave enough to risk it without the wellies, if i leave them at home i'll definitely need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KevKelleher

Tonykinlan wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm a press Photographer and I'm heading over to Glastonbury this year for the 3rd time and I'm looking for an Irish perspective on Glasto.
    So anyone who is going over and wants to get their picture in the paper please send me a pm.

Tony Kinlan

Hi Tony,
    We're an Irish band playing at Glastonbury. Shouting at Planes at 2pm on Saturday; Queens Head Stage. We'd appreciate if you could come and take a few pictures. Please contact us through our myspace site; www.myspace.com/shoutingatplanes

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

Hi Tony,
    We're an Irish band playing at Glastonbury. Shouting at Planes at 2pm on Saturday; Queens Head Stage. We'd appreciate if you could come and take a few pictures. Please contact us through our myspace site; www.myspace.com/shoutingatplanes

fair play on the festival slot lads, f*ckin sweet as playing glasto. hope it goes well for you. will try and get to see you but being glastonbury anything could happen by saturday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

http://www.goldenplec.com/2010/06/22/irish-acts-at-glastonbury/.

Just a piece on Irish acts playing Glastonbury for those interested in seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Radiohead played tonight, a small set on one of the smaller stages

Radiohead's Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood played a surprise set at Glastonbury this evening (June 25).

The pair performed on the festival's Park Stage after being introduced by Michael Eavis.

"Welcome to the biggest surprise of the weekend," the festival organiser told the crowd. "There's two superstars I'll not name them but they're right here."

Seizing the moment, Yorke told the swelling crowd "Hi, my name is Thomas Yorke," as he kicked things off, playing 'The Eraser' solo on the piano.

"Been in the studio all week with my first band," he then told the crowd before building a loop around a funky bass riff for 'Harrowdown Hill'.

He followed that with 'Black Swan' though had to restart the song once jokingly cursing "****ing amateurs!" at his slip.

Greenwood then joined his bandmate onstage, playing keys on 'Cymbal Rush'.

The pair then both played guitars on 'In Rainbows' track 'Weird Fishes/Arpeggi'.

'Pyramid Song' followed, with Greenwood taking a violin bow to his guitar while Yorke returned to the piano.

'Idioteque' saw the duo drop beats - mixed with a sample of an HGV's reversing alarm - which got the now giant crowd dancing, before they played an acoustic version of 'Karma Police' triggering a mass singalong.

With the crowd singing the song's "I lost myself" lyrics after the track had finished, Yorke then picked up his guitar and joined in with his audience.

He then launched into the band 'Street Spirit (Fade Out)'. "Have a brilliant festival every one," Yorke told the crowd as he left the stage, "see you guys later."

Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood played:

'The Eraser'
    'Harrowdown Hill'
    'Black Swan'
    'Cymbal Rush'
    'Weird Fishes/Arpeggi'
    'Pyramid Song'
    'Idioteque'
    'Karma Police'
    'Street Spirit (Fade Out)'

http://www.nme.com/news/radiohead/51667

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Thunder10

scudzilla wrote: »
    Radiohead played tonight, a small set on one of the smaller stages

Radiohead's Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood played a surprise set at Glastonbury this evening (June 25).

The pair performed on the festival's Park Stage after being introduced by Michael Eavis.

"Welcome to the biggest surprise of the weekend," the festival organiser told the crowd. "There's two superstars I'll not name them but they're right here."

Seizing the moment, Yorke told the swelling crowd "Hi, my name is Thomas Yorke," as he kicked things off, playing 'The Eraser' solo on the piano.

"Been in the studio all week with my first band," he then told the crowd before building a loop around a funky bass riff for 'Harrowdown Hill'.

He followed that with 'Black Swan' though had to restart the song once jokingly cursing "****ing amateurs!" at his slip.

Greenwood then joined his bandmate onstage, playing keys on 'Cymbal Rush'.

The pair then both played guitars on 'In Rainbows' track 'Weird Fishes/Arpeggi'.

'Pyramid Song' followed, with Greenwood taking a violin bow to his guitar while Yorke returned to the piano.

'Idioteque' saw the duo drop beats - mixed with a sample of an HGV's reversing alarm - which got the now giant crowd dancing, before they played an acoustic version of 'Karma Police' triggering a mass singalong.

With the crowd singing the song's "I lost myself" lyrics after the track had finished, Yorke then picked up his guitar and joined in with his audience.

He then launched into the band 'Street Spirit (Fade Out)'. "Have a brilliant festival every one," Yorke told the crowd as he left the stage, "see you guys later."

Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood played:

'The Eraser'
    'Harrowdown Hill'
    'Black Swan'
    'Cymbal Rush'
    'Weird Fishes/Arpeggi'
    'Pyramid Song'
    'Idioteque'
    'Karma Police'
    'Street Spirit (Fade Out)'

http://www.nme.com/news/radiohead/51667

Would have been sickening to have actually been there and missed that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Thunder10 wrote: »
    Would have been sickening to have actually been there and missed that!

Bit like those that missed Metallica Sunday afternoon set in the 2nd stage tent at Donington in 2003, fcukin hilarious, as soon as word got round thousands left the main stage, Evanescance finished there set to around 5,000 people!!

I knew about it and was 2ft from front of stage, was bedlam :D:D:D

Surprise sets are the way forward, so long as i know about them beforehand ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Thunder10

scudzilla wrote: »
    Surprise sets are the way forward, so long as i know about them beforehand ;)

Very true! Should just do a whole festival with no prior line-up announcement and see what happens!

Scissor Sisters mainstage headliners 3 nights in a row and Daft Punk in the dance tent mid-afternoon!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Cannot wait to see what Muse do to top gorillaz last night. Rumours flying about that the edge is performing with them tonight :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Garseys wrote: »
    Cannot wait to see what Muse do to top gorillaz last night. Rumours flying about that the edge is performing with them tonight :D
    Dont think it will be hard to top Gorrillaz since a few people were saying they were bored of their set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Garseys wrote: »
    Cannot wait to see what Muse do to top gorillaz last night

They only have to do their normal set to top what the Gorillaz did. So far so good. Like the Nirvana - School bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Dont think it will be hard to top Gorrillaz since a few people were saying they were bored of their set

it was such a boring set, feel good inc and clint eastwood were good at the end.....

watching muse now and its the business, ive seen them twice already and they always please and the visuals are bad ass, i'll be seeing them play next thursday at rock werchter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

just saw the national set on bbc 4, unreal....

Advertisement