Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM Auto Dialer

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

First off who quoted you €600?
    About €350- €400 fitted
    Do you want it to text or would voice message suffice?
    If so Astec do a handy unit called D2M. Its a standalone unit whick basically converts a mobile line to an anolouge line with a dial tone. It will not sent texts. Only voice & DTMF tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Dublinarea

the bloke who installed the alarm said it would cost about €500 plus labour. He didnt seem certain what they cost so maybe that was price the last time he seen one.

I would be happy installing it myself which should knock €100 off price. That would bring it to about the €250 mark i presume. Would be willing to go for that.

I would prefer if it sent txts as presently its sends them to multiple keyholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You could get yourself an ata box for around €100, this will allow you to connect a standard pstn digi to your upc modem.
    Last time I checked the hkc gsm units were expensive

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Jnealon wrote: »
    Last time I checked the hkc gsm units were expensive
    Around €250 -€300 + vat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Dublinarea wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Can anybody recommend a decent non HKC GSM auto dialer that works with a HKC alarm?

I'm desperate to ditch Eircom and use UPC for phone and net but can't justify €600 for a HKC dialer

Cheers,
    Dublinarea

Anybody have experience of this device?

http://www.sim-entry.com/V-LITE+GSM+Dialer+and+SMS+Remote+Control/p163033_507040.aspx

There are two different GSMs for the HKC alarm, one in a poly housing costs about €270 plus vat that runs off the alarm systems battery in the event of a power cut or one in a metal housing with its own back up battery that costs €360. Both will give you remote access to your alarm system. There are loads of cheap GSMs dialers out there that will connect to any alarm to let you know when your alarm goes off.

If using the ata device to connect to your modem you should install a psu supply incase the electricity is off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭NDJ4

the bloke who installed the alarm said it would cost about €500 plus labour. He didnt seem certain what they cost so maybe that was price the last time he seen one.

I would be happy installing it myself which should knock €100 off price. That would bring it to about the €250 mark i presume. Would be willing to go for that.

Definitely the best option in this case, €500 + labour for this is pricey. This system is easy to install and to setup and has the advantage of remote control over your panel but bear in mind that you must have the engineer code for your panel. Do you have access to this? This unit also only works with the hkc 8/12 and 16/120 panels so make sure your panel isn't a 6/10 panel...

Thanks for all the advice lads it’s really appreciated.

From what I read I gather using the ATA is not always successful and may require me to use Blueface. It also won’t allow me to remotely turn the alarm off and reset it which is a big plus using the GSM auto dialer.

Both systems have pro’s and cons. The auto dialer would be perfect if it wasn’t for the bloody card having to be topped up every few months and having to make sure the account doesn’t lapse due to lack of use! But such is life.
    The auto dialer in the link I provided has some great features such as automatically sending a txt to prevent this. I have done a lot of searching and can’t find any forums with people talking about this device so I’m apprehensive to dish out the cash in case it’s a ball of sh!te and doesn’t do what it says on the tin.

I do have access to the engineers code so no worries there. One last question, is it possible to use the HKC device to remotely turn on the gas boiler? Anybody done this? And no I won’t be trying this if it is possible, I will pay for somebody certified to do it. I have no problems offering the job to one of you guys if anybody’s interested. It’s the least I could do considering the great advice you all give FOC. As the name suggests I’m in the Dublin area.

Both systems have pro’s and cons. The auto dialer would be perfect if it wasn’t for the bloody card having to be topped up every few months and having to make sure the account doesn’t lapse due to lack of use! But such is life.

Yeah with a rtg sim you should make sure to send a message once in a while to ensure they don't switch you off. I usually set my system once a month via text. Actually forgot to set the alarm last night and was too lazy to get up to do it so tried texting it instead. Only problem was i couldn't remember how to partarm system via text :eek: Tried part a, partarm a etc... about five different messages. eventually gave up and just sent arm message. Should have sent "arm a" message. Anyhow.

One last question, is it possible to use the HKC device to remotely turn on the gas boiler? Anybody done this?

Yes there are 4 textable outputs which can be turned on and off via text, lights, heat, aux and gate. These can be used to switch a relay to control your boiler. With the 4 outputs though you must also text to turn them off.

Tell me you have a massive gaff and it would take 5 mins to get to panel !! your a rigt lazy sod ......exactly what id do though :)

Tell me you have a massive gaff and it would take 5 mins to get to panel !! your a rigt lazy sod ......exactly what id do though :)
    Yeah seriously lazy and costly too. 6 txt messages and another 6 return messages from gsm unit later before I managed to arm system. I'd have been asleep by the time I finally armed system had I just gotten up and gone down to keypad. In my defense though... ok i don't have any defense :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 vwcaddy

600e is totally off the mark. if you dont have phone line in your house the hkc gsm unit is available to buy for just 300e. however in some of your earlier posts i see some1 recommended an astec,, stay away from them, disaster, best bet would be to contact epw, get your gsm fitted 149e then cancel your monitoring when its up, you will be able to use the gsm with your own sim and get it to text your phones, be aware that you will loose your garda response etc etc and that you will have to ensure your sim is topped up al de time, o2 is the best sim to use here.

vwcaddy wrote: »
    in some of your earlier posts i see some1 recommended an astec,, stay away from them, disaster, .
    If you are basing that statement on some experience please post it.
    I have been using Astec from the start & while, like any other product, they will have some problems, calling them a disaster without backing up the statement is a bit much. Generally I find most problems with Astec are due to poor standard of installation. It would also help to know your experience. Are you a licenced installer?

however in some of your earlier posts i see some1 recommended an astec,, stay away from them, disaster

There is nothing wrong with the ASTEC D2M. Maybe you have installed them incorrectly thats why you must be having problems with them.
    best bet would be to contact epw, get your gsm fitted 149e then cancel your monitoring when its up,

What about the monitoring charge for the year, this is not good advice for the op who just wants a GSM auto dialer that works with a HKC alarm.
    you will be able to use the gsm with your own sim and get it to text your phones

This is incorrect as the GSM they use can not send texts, if you enter your phone number as you suggest it will only ring your phone, it works the same as the ASTEC D2M.

altor wrote: »
    What about the monitoring charge for the year, this is not good advice for the op who just wants a GSM auto dialer that works with a HKC alarm.
    If you read his previous post he installs Phone Watch.
    A bit one sided if you ask me.
    Does'n't seem to have much knowlegde of other systems going by the few bits he's posted.

koolkid wrote: »
    If you read his previous post he installs Phone Watch.
    A bit one sided if you ask me.
    Does'n't seem to have much knowlegde of other systems going by the few bits he's posted.

He would want to learn about there systems before he posts..

Totally agree, he is telling the op to get the GSM off them, use the GSM for the year, not including the monitoring and maintenance charge. After the year the GSM would be no use to the op so he would still have to buy the auto dialer. Makes no sense to me :confused:

yes i am a licenced installer and yes i do have experience with numerous different systems, hkc 8/12 16/120, europlex signet, aritech cs250, ATS, and also all of eircoms systems used, simon, concord, and simon xt and then theres astec. from my experience the astec system is not a good system, its cheap and unreliable, the quality of its components is does from my point of view is not up to standard as to the ones listed previous.

as for the gsm, its 149 fitted and if the system is already monitored by epw the gsm provided would be cheap to get installed. obviously its not the hkc gsm as epw dont install them but it would provide a line to the already installed modem card which can text out provided that the software is an 8/12 upwards, it will not text of the old 6/12

best of luck with your astec systems, they were only brought on the market as an easy cheap system for electricians who think they have a clue about security.

yes i am a licenced installer and yes i do have experience with numerous different systems, hkc 8/12 16/120, europlex signet, aritech cs250, ATS, and also all of eircoms systems used, simon, concord, and simon xt and then theres astec. from my experience the astec system is not a good system, its cheap and unreliable, the quality of its components is does from my point of view is not up to standard as to the ones listed previous.

as for the gsm, its 149 fitted and if the system is already monitored by epw the gsm provided would be cheap to get installed. obviously its not the hkc gsm as epw dont install them but it would provide a line to the already installed modem card which can text out provided that the software is an 8/12 upwards, it will not text of the old 6/12

best of luck with your astec systems, they were only brought on the market as an easy cheap system for electricians who think they have a clue about security.
    I'm sorry but you don't know what you are talking about.
    Again you say Astec is not good, but still you give no examples.
    You say it is cheap? Astec equipment is generally dearer than conventional systems.
    You are wrong Eircom Have installed HKC systems when requested.
    Astec is only for electricians? Yet an awful lot of licened installer are using them???????
    The Astec System is not up to standard,? in your view , Sorry to disappoint you. You view is irrelevant. In the view of the certification bodies (NSAI etc) it is!
    Are you going to claim to be more informed than them also?

yes epw install hkc but not the hkc gsm.

yes thats my opinion, astec is a no go area for me, i wouldnt take one if i got it for nothing.

maybe its software has improved in the last 5yrs but its still way off hkc and europlex

There is nothing wrong with ASTEC components and it is up to standards. If installed correctly they will not give problems. Only problems i have come across is from bad installations.
    The simon and concord use 433 frequency and from this point of view they should stop installing them, there are to many devices using this frequency.

The concord with the 319 frequency receiver that they use is not up to standards.

They install the new world GSM, it rings your phone but wont text. They will install the HKC GSM if you request it.

maybe its software has improved in the last 5yrs but its still way off hkc and europlex

You havn't used it in the last 5 years??
    Not only has software changed but also a complete new panel.
    A couple of friendly pointers as seen as your new.
    You really should back up negegive comments with some facts.
    Commenting on something 5 years ago & comparing to now is not really backing up your argument.
    Its a bit like me saying I would not use SigNet because I had problems with the Verifier or Identifier.
    Most people in the industry agree that most of the Astec problems are to do with poor installations (bad wiring, connections etc). Maybe you need to look back at the problems you were having before because there certinly was no major software issues.
    You should not claim something is not up to standard when it is. Stating its you opinion is irrelevant as the Certification body's opinion is the only one that matters in these regards.
    Finally....
    Try to be a little more relaxed & have some sensible friendly debate.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    The simon and concord use 433 frequency and from this point of view they should stop installing them, there are to many devices using this frequency.

The concord with the 319 frequency receiver that they use is not up to standards.

They install the new world GSM, it rings your phone but wont text. They will install the HKC GSM if you request it.

+1 on all of these.

read your post again, the gsm provides a pstn to the modem card. the modem card will text to mobiles on an activation.

epw are using 868 freq on the new simon xt panels, the old simon is not being installed, as far as i know anyway

read your post again, the gsm provides a pstn to the modem card. the modem card will text to mobiles on an activation.

This is not true as i have installed these for phonewatch, the reason they use these is because it keeps there customers stuck with them. As i said, it will ring a phone on activation but wont text.

[QUOTE=vwcaddy;64417803
    epw are using 868 freq on the new simon xt panels, the old simon is not being installed, as far as i know anyway[/QUOTE]

They still install the simon panel. Yes, the new panel uses the 868 frequency, it is very like programming a concord.

are you saying that the new world gsm will NOT provide a line to the modem card plugged onto the hkc panel that will text when set up in the sms text menu

yes its similiar alright. theres talk of a new system aswel and maybe they are just using stock because we havent received any simon panels since before xmas.

are you saying that the new world gsm will NOT provide a line to the modem card plugged onto the hkc panel that will text when set up in the sms text menu

The one pw use does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

moved to Electrical

Even if it did the hkc digi (or any other text digi) will not send out a text from a gsm provided line. Sending of text messages from any landline requires the call to originate from an eircom provided landline. The digi calls the Eircom sms server and passes the info to it and the text gets routed from there. Eircom are the only provider in this country that offer the facility of sending texts from a landline and so will only accept incoming calls from their own lines. Their sms server will not answer an incoming call from a gsm line.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Not sure if its a GSM dialler I need/want but I have a HKC alarm (not sure what the panel is) and use blueface/ATA over my cable modem for the house phone.

At the time, the installer hooked up some sort of dialer to the ATA, but couldnt get it working :-( You guys seem to imply it shouldnt be too hard?

Basically looking to at least get feedback when the alarm goes off. I guess then to control the alarm I'd need the GSM unit?

Just looking for my options and then costs?

Thanks

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The two sms server numbers that most installers use are 0818365135 17409900.
    I have also tested the BT and T-mobile servers in the UK and can confirm that they will work with most panels and any phone provider.
    There are a few numbers but I have used 00447860980480 and it works fine.
    Cost isn't an issue as it will only sends a few texts

Advertisement