Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunch / snacks / supper ideas for an 18 month old

Options
  • 03-02-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

My 18 month old used to be a great little eater and has recently gone fussy. She'll eat her breakfast and dinner but wont eat very much for lunch / snacks / supper. She used to eat banana's, soup etc but wont touch them anymore. What do you find your toddlers like? Any suggestions welcome but i am a working mammy so dont have time for many "from scratch" meals :o Convenient meals and snacks to send to the childminder is what i need!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

my 13 month old eats just about everything we do...spag bol, stir fries, stew, chicken, veg....etc
    I just make a little extra for her and put it in the fridge for the next day and she loves most things.
    If I cant give her some of our food (too spicy etc) I buy her a small piece of fish and steam it with some potatoes and veg - takes no time at all and she loves it.
    Failing that on a really bad day I give her some waffles and beans with fish fingers etc which lets face it are very little hassle.

Myself and my partner both work 47+ a week so I understand how time can be a problem but a good diet from the start is really important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruthie_

My dd is 16 months and I've made meals and frozen them so I can give them to her the same day each week. I know your a busy mam but even if you have some time on a Sunday, it didnt take me too long to do. I made a big cottage pie, lasagne and fish pie and I also made homemade burgers all into baby size portions and have them in the freezer aswell and take them out the night before shes gonna eat them. I also give her mini pizzas, got it from Annabel Carmels book, you can find the recipe on her website I cant remember it exactly now but it uses english muffins as a base, my dd loves them! She also has a recipe for salmon footballs (but I mash them into small burger sizes cos I do be paranoid they're not cooked properly!) they're real easy too!!

I think peanut butter sambos and the sort are good too. Also bits of fun fruit like strawberries, rasberries etc my dd loves blueberries!

Good luck and I wouldnt be too worried bout it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 13 month old eats the same as us
    She would eat anything at all but prefers food she can feed herself.
    He loves waffles and fish fingers and sausages but don't they all?;)
    I cut up pears in to slices for her and she loves them.
    She loves rice cakes and for dinner she has what ever we are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I give my daughter (12mths) porridge with fruit and yogurt in the morning and snacks consist of baby rice cakes, yogurts, lumps of cheese and fruit. I give her these freely throughout the day. Toast is another good snack. Peanut butter is not recommended for toddlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruthie_

Grawns wrote: »
    Peanut butter is not recommended for toddlers.

It is often recommended that children who are at high risk of having food allergies not to eat peanut butter. Some say not to give it to children under the age of one, some say two/three. My dd isn't at risk from allergies and its a healthy snack full of protein and is rich in minerals. You just have to make sure not to over expose them to it, thats when it can cause allergies (in a child not in the high risk category) But sure if you are worried bout allergies your best off leaving it out of their diets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eimsRV

My year old eats similar to grawns little one and we are starting her on our dinners now.

Some ideas I've been given are

Scramble egg & Toast
    Beans/spaghetti hoops on Toast
    Toasted Sandwiches
    Baked potatoes (can microwave) with various toppings - tuna & sweetcorn, cheese, chilli con carne.
    Veg sticks (peppers, carrot, celery) with hummus.
    Pasta salad.
    Hard boiled eggs.
    Mini pancakes - you can add some fruit like fresh/frozen blueberries.
    Banana bread.
    Scones.
    Chicken/Fish gougons.
    Waffles.
    Veggie fingers by birds eye

Oh and found birs eye now do salmon fish fingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Ruthie_ wrote: »
    It is often recommended that children who are at high risk of having food allergies not to eat peanut butter. Some say not to give it to children under the age of one, some say two/three. My dd isn't at risk from allergies and its a healthy snack full of protein and is rich in minerals. You just have to make sure not to over expose them to it, thats when it can cause allergies (in a child not in the high risk category) But sure if you are worried bout allergies your best off leaving it out of their diets.

Better safe than sorry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Here are a few ideas for snacks..

Crackerbread/Toast/ Crackers with spreadable cheese or butter and Jam
    Hard boiled eggs chopped up
    Omeletes
    Yogurts
    Fresh fruit chopped up, strawberries, blueberries, melon, grapes.
    Ambrosia Rice
    Tubes of pasta
    Cereal is a great fingerfood/snack a handful of cheerios or cornflakes.
    Pancakes

Advertisement