Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Installation

Options
  • 03-02-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi, hope someone here can help me, never posted on this before so hope I am in the right place!

Myself & boyfriend are planning on buying a house together, we have found one we love but it has no kitchen. We priced them last night in B&Q and were told that it would cost 40% of the cost of a kitchen to install so gonna try and get a cheaper option.

Are we crazy to try and do it ourselves? I would think so but if it is possible we would do it to save money. My boyfriend is very good with DIY etc but dont know if this would be too much to try.

Maybe the best bet would be to buy kitchen and employ someone to install it for us and my boyfriend to act as labourer rather than doing it himself?

Any thoughts?!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Hi, hope someone here can help me, never posted on this before so hope I am in the right place!

Myself & boyfriend are planning on buying a house together, we have found one we love but it has no kitchen. We priced them last night in B&Q and were told that it would cost 40% of the cost of a kitchen to install so gonna try and get a cheaper option.

Are we crazy to try and do it ourselves? I would think so but if it is possible we would do it to save money. My boyfriend is very good with DIY etc but dont know if this would be too much to try.

Maybe the best bet would be to buy kitchen and employ someone to install it for us and my boyfriend to act as labourer rather than doing it himself?

Any thoughts?!

Thanks.

I think the latter option is maybe best, get the units yourself and get someone in to do it. But, in saying that it all depends on the level of DIY of your BF, sure, I guess if you take your time and read up on how to do it you might be fine (I'm sure there are many guides online as well as youtube vids), but if he's never tackled anything on this scale before then maybe its best to get it done right as its something you are going to be seeing everyday and visitors will see, you'd want it done correctly from the start.

Cutting worktops, making an opening for the sink and oven hob, reapplying formica to exposed edges (if there are any) and applying the trim (angles and such) might prove a little more difficult than lining up cabinet carcasses and getting them all level. But, as you say, theres nothing to stop him from helping someone, and help will be needed to lift wall cabinets etc, plus it'll get the job done quicker and save you a few bob, just say it to whoever you ask that there will be some help as some guys would rather tackle a job on there own without distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

thanks for that, its what I was thinking too but without knowing much about how its done it is hard to make a call.

I thinks thats the best bet - anyone recommend someone good and cheap galway area that could do this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Have to agree with CroppyBoy1798...i fit kitchens and it's not as easy as it looks....best bet is to go to local kitchen suppliers and tell them your thinking of buying a kitchen and ask them can they recommend someone good....get them to call to the house and help with the layout...Even avail of the free design service a lot of places are offering now.......You don't have to buy of them and you'll have your kitchen designed for nothing....It's a buyers market at the moment..
    You should be able to get an average kitchen fitted for 600 Euro easily(would have been double 3 years ago)...
    Things to watch.
    Do they joint the worktops like this...better job..no joiners

Also have to think about electrics and plumbing in relation to intergrated appliances

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

hi,

if you are asking a local chippy to have a look and price, ask about any deals that kitchen places are doing - as I'd say they are hit very hard at the moment.

also look at ikea - they have a kitchen planner on-line too.

k

Advertisement