Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know problems with fertility

Options
  • 03-02-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Not sure wether I am looking for advice or just someone to talk to.

I had a growth on my fallopian tube when I was 18, it turned out to be canerous and I had it removed as well as some chemo. At the time they consider a full hysterectomy but decided against it due to my yound age.

Back then I had some eggs frozen but the doc said at the time that they don't stay viable forever.

The story now is that I have a 10-15% chance of falling pregnant naturally :( I am still only 25 so not ready for a family yet but my OH is a super person and I really want to be able to have his children.

I guess personally I am finding it very tough at the moment as my SIL and several friends are all pregnant and I keep looking at them thinking it may never happen for me/us. Especially my SIL as it is on his side and I know he is envious of his brother.

I find it difficult as well when I hear of people who fall pregnant at the drop of a hat or spend 9 months complaining about being pregnant - back pain etc. I would gadly swop with them I would feel a baby kicking me.

I guess I am hoping that someone else has been through this and could offer me some advice.

thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Sounds like you've had a tough time! Chemo at 18 must've been very hard for you.

I just want to say that you shouldn't give up hope on ever becoming pregnant. I know you've been told that you only have a 10-15% chance of becoming pregnant, but 80% of statistics are made up in my opinion (yes I made up that statistic!) I don't see how a Doctor can give you that information when every womans body is different and will have been affected differently during life! I've cared for women giving birth who were told that they would never have children. Yet there they were bringing a new life into the world.

You have eggs frozen too, so assisted conception is an option for you. True the eggs wont last forever, but they were taken when you were very young so they would have been in optimum condition when harvested, so thats a positive you can hold on to.

I know its not for everyone, but egg donation might also be an option for you. I'm not sure how it works here in Ireland, but I know alot of women go to Spain to fertility clinics if they choose this route for conception.

Adoption is also an option, although this can be a very long process.

You should talk to your partner about your concerns and see how he feels and what he suggests. He is the one you're going to have to make your decisions with and he will also be the one with you through the good and tough times.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I'm not in the same boat as you as I had oesophageal cancer diagnosed about 3 years ago but had to start chemo straight away (at 32) to have any chance of survival and could not freeze my eggs, the chemo I had meant that I had a much lower chance of concieving...am 29 weeks pregnant now...I know the worry and wish you all the best.

Dont forget that there are other options too.

Advertisement