Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why was Roy Keane never ranked in World/Euro player of the year?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

He made Pele's FIFA 100, a list of his choices for the greatest living footballers. He was the only Irishman to make it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_100

It's daft to suggest only those in Ireland and Manchester rated him.
    It is daft but it is true, I think alot of people rated Effenberg ahead of Keane which was pretty stupid imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Just on the point of Scholes:
    Zidane wrote:
    My toughest opponent? Scholes. He is undoubtedly the greatest player of his generation
    Henry wrote:
    Without any doubt the best player in the Premiership has to be Scholes...He knows how to do everything
    Lippi wrote:
    an all-round midfielder who possesses quality and character in abundance
    Davids wrote:
    I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is
    Everyone of us should emulate him. We can all learn from Paul Scholes
    Blanc wrote:
    I tell anyone who asks me – Scholes is the best English player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

censuspro wrote: »
    That's what I thought initially. But when I had look at some of the winners and nominees there were alot of defensive and midfield players in there:

1991: Lothar Matthaus
    1992: Thomas Hasler
    1995: Paolo Maldini
    1997: Roberto Carlos
    1999: David Beckham
    2002: Oliver Kahn
    2005: Frank Lampard
    2006: Fabio Cannavaro

I think Hassler was the only DM on this list though wasn't he? Matthaus was for a bit but he also played as an attacking midfielder as well and scored 16 goals in 31 appearances the year he won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Same reason Raul never won it? Always someone just that bit better that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I think the wrong question is being asked. IMO, there is no such thing as the 'best' player in the world in any real terms. You can attempt to quantify with statistics etc, but its still just something for interesting chatter. Makelele was removed from the Galactico's and it all went pear shaped. Their so called 'best players in the world' found it difficult to operate without him. Its a team sport, and all have their value which helps the 'team'. Some players certainly stand out in their position, from other players from their position. Having, for the sake of arguement, Schmeical in for the same award as Zidane, is simply ridiculous. Team of the year is where its at IMO. These individual awards are just showbusiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Because 94 was his only world cup and so he didnt get the exposure of others

Also he wasnt a highlights player in the same way many of the other winners were. For example name three memorable Keane moments?

Both act as a combined reason for me.

Also i dont think he ever was the worlds (or even Uniteds) best, (though that might be my anti keane bias coming through :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Because 94 was his only world cup and so he didnt get the exposure of others

Also he wasnt a highlights player in the same way many of the other winners were. For example name three memorable Keane moments?

Both act as a combined reason for me.

Also i dont think he ever was the worlds (or even Uniteds) best, (though that might be my anti keane bias coming through :D)

+ 1 give me Vieira everyday of the week :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

No one can really claim that Roy Keane shouldn't have been at least shortlisted for the World Player of the Year Award in 1999, can they?

I mean, he captained his team to an unprecedented treble, scored three goals in the champions league that year (as many as Rivaldo, world player of the year 1999) and put in performances that saw him outplay many of the more highly regarded names in world football.

I honestly couldn't tell you why he was never ranked but I think it is ignorant to suggest that because he was not as highly rated overseas that he was not a top player. I can see who is a top player simply by watching them play regularly. And keane was one of the best players to play in the premiership. He was also world class for a number of years.

The only evidence of this I have comes not from rankings but from actually watching games where he consistently got the upper hand on more highly thought of midfielders in big European matches for United as well as International matches with Ireland.

Advertisement