Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Ulster Bank

Options
  • 03-02-2010 3:55pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry mods, i dont know if this should be here in the bank section.

4 years ago i took out a home improvement loan of E22,500 with Ulster Bank, for new wiring, plumbing, roof, windows etc.

i am trying to get a letter from ulster bank stating that the loan is a home improvement loan.

after 4 weeks of chasing them, i finally got someone to call me back today so say that i didnt take out a home improvement loan but a loan to buy a caravan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is their mistake and they are refusing to give me the letter stating it was a home improvement loan.

i really, really need that letter, or i am in dire straits.

can anyone help me ? can they do this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Ask them for a copy of the original loan application, that will have the reason for the loan on it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Ask them for a copy of the original loan application, that will have the reason for the loan on it.

the applicant was filled in by the branch manager and not me

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fabulousdeal

Do you remember who you spoke to when you were getting the loan? If so set up a meeting with them. It should refresh their memory when they see you face to face. You definitely need to go into the Branch, though. Ask to speak to someone about this (if you can't remember who you got the loan off in the first place).

well if the original loan application has a caravan as the reason for the loan, there isn't much you can do. Surely you would have noticed this when you applied originally for the loan before you signed?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

irishbird wrote: »
    the applicant was filled in by the branch manager and not me

But did it write caravan on it?

• Advertisement

did you do the application at the branch or over the phone or online?? how did you go through the loan process. that's very important.

Also don't you have a copy of the application? Whenever you get a loan you should always have a copy of the application that you signed.

i took out the loan face to face with the branch manager, i have her name but she no longer works with Ulster Bank

i would have to take a day off work to go into the branch, as it is nowhere near where i work.

i will go home and check my copy of the original loan applicant.

she just sat there asking me loads of questions, filled it out on the computer, she printed it off and told me to sign, i didnt have any reason to think that she would lie on the form.

why in gods name would i buy a caravan. the revenue commissioners need this letter.

i have no idea what i am going to do

Try not to panic, I know that's easier said. The fact that you took the loan out face to face with the manager is a good start. Are you sure that she has left the Ulster Bank completely? Or has she just gone to a different branch?

The main thing now is that you need to find your application that you signed.

If the worst comes to the worst I'm afraid you'll have to take a day off work to go to the branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Don't be surprised if they can't find a copy of the application. Have seen it happen before. Depending on how long you've been chasing this your best bet may be to take this to someone above branch staff.

Tristram wrote: »
    Don't be surprised if they can't find a copy of the application. Have seen it happen before. Depending on how long you've been chasing this your best bet may be to take this to someone above branch staff.

If they can't find a copy of the application it would be ok as then they would have to believe you, however when they are telling you the loan was issued for the purpose of buying a caravan, it would suggest they have a copy of the loan application, where it mentions that.

• Advertisement

Dis you ever have to fill in a pre loan application form? If so then the records will state that it was a home improvement loan that you wanted.

But I honestly believe that if it does work out that the Manager ticked caravan instead of home improvement loan then If you go to the branch and ask to speak to the manager that's there now or else someone else that's in charge and then explain your situation that they'll write a letter for you to say that it was a home improvement loan.

Once they see you face to face and see how genuinely upset you are about the whole thing.

i think i will take a day off next week and go into the bank, the manager was supposed to call me back today but surprise surprise they didnt

Best of luck with that then next week. Please let me know how it goes.

Advertisement