Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drum kits for kids

• 03-02-2010 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting my son a drum kit for his sixth birthday. Wondering which of these might be better

Millenium MX120

or

DXP

One is obviously a junior while the other a starter, he's about average height for his age, but think the Millenium will last him a bit longer. I'll be buying an Epiphone SG at the same time so shipping from Thomann would be free and the guitar is pretty much the same price in Waltons.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Tbh, I think a full size kit would probably be an unhealthy stretch for a six year old. I mean, you can have all the stands set up really low, and the seat really low, but it will get very cluttered and the proportions of the drums will still be off. I don't really know how large a six year old is but I rememeber my eight/nine year old cousin playing with my kit and being far too small.

Speaking as someone who permanently damaged their knee by playing kick drum for about a year with a slight unintentional ankle twist... the importance of good posture and positioning is really something I would stress. If your kid takes to it in a big way, be sure you get some proper lessons for him too.

I own a Millennium mic stand which sucks worse than any I've ever known; and one of their headphone amps, which is fine but wouldn't last long on the road. So I'm not sure the longevity of the Millennium kit should be a favourable factor here in any case.

Awesome present for a kid though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of insight I'm looking for. If it lasts him 2 years it'll be worth it, then I can get him a proper kit. Re it as a gift, he's already learning piano for awhile now and enjoying it, so hopefully he'll take to this too

Just noticed this is supposed to be back in to Thomann in a week:

MX JR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of insight I'm looking for. If it lasts him 2 years it'll be worth it, then I can get him a proper kit. Re it as a gift, he's already learning piano for awhile now and enjoying it, so hopefully he'll take to this too

Just noticed this is supposed to be back in to Thomann in a week:

MX JR

You can get the Hayman Junior Kit for about €199 including sticks, cymbals, stool and kick.

http://www.basvandenbroek.com/en/product/25266/583/hayman/junior_series/5-piece_drum_kit.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I own a Millennium mic stand which sucks worse than any I've ever known; and one of their headphone amps, which is fine but wouldn't last long on the road. So I'm not sure the longevity of the Millennium kit should be a favourable factor here in any case.

Awesome present for a kid though. :pac:

yea thomann branded gear can be hit or miss, the mic stands and mic cables dont last long on the road! We use a thomann power amp, around 2 years old, never gave bother.

millennium kits aren't the best, but i dont think a 6 year old is going to be concerned about how it sounds, noise is noise:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Also, try and get some dampening rings that fit the sizes of whatever you get. Even just one for the snare... your ears will be thankful for the slight decibel reduction. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement