Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Strike at WIT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

It's true. My girlfriend is doing her masters and she has no idea how she's doing due to not getting results. WIT lecturers were apparently getting paid twice as much as other IT lecturers to mark exams. That pay was halfed to match what the others get and they're not happy. She says the lecturers are also threatening to not set exams for the summer.

I have no problem with the lecturers' dispute when it comes to pay but leave the students out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

A very long thread regarding the matter

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055803130

or go into Edu--> WIT,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

It's true. My girlfriend is doing her masters and she has no idea how she's doing due to not getting results. WIT lecturers were apparently getting paid twice as much as other IT lecturers to mark exams. That pay was halfed to match what the others get and they're not happy. She says the lecturers are also threatening to not set exams for the summer.

I have no problem with the lecturers' dispute when it comes to pay but leave the students out of it.
    Well then they have nothing to crib about if they are now inline with what other IT Lecturers are getting paid.

I know a few friends who are umemployed(eager to work) with college degrees and masters in various sectors of industry who would be only too delighted to correct papers.

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    A very long thread regarding the matter

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055803130

or go into Edu--> WIT,

Thanks. I'll try and avoid it though as I get the daily run-down from my girlfriend at 6 each evening!

Quick Question: Are the lecturers refusing to give results/feedback about a exam paper to students if the student goes up to the lecturer and asks?
    Surely the lecturer can say you got X% but it hasn't been formally validated yet. You lost points in QX and QY, blah blah blah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm delighted i'm first one to get in with a DAMN STUDENTS!!!!

Anyway, Its easy to see how you'd be annoyed. Barronflyguy has a good point though

Quick Question: Are the lecturers refusing to give results/feedback about a exam paper to students if the student goes up to the lecturer and asks?
    Surely the lecturer can say you got X% but it hasn't been formally validated yet. You lost points in QX and QY, blah blah blah.

My girlfirend was told they could give her a ballpark figure, e.g. 2.1 degree, 2.2 etc. but no results or final mark.

Not good if you're barely making a 2.2 and are hoping to get a 2.1.

I know from my time in UL, which was semesterised, the semester 1 exam results used to give me the kick up the hole I needed to improve. Without that the students might lack the motivation needed to significantly improve their marks.

Also if any of them will be going for a job interview and are asked how they're doing in their final year, what will the say? I presume you could always lie!

My girlfirend was told they could give her a ballpark figure, e.g. 2.1 degree, 2.2 etc. but no results or final mark.

Not good if you're barely making a 2.2 and are hoping to get a 2.1.

I know from my time in UL, which was semesterised, the semester 1 exam results used to give me the kick up the hole I needed to improve. Without that the students might lack the motivation needed to significantly improve their marks.

Also if any of them will be going for a job interview and are asked how they're doing in their final year, what will the say? I presume you could always lie!
    Union strikes always tends to portray everyone with same brush but some get dragged into it because they have to.
    I know from past experiences that a decent lecturer would be helpful enough and if you asked him/her they should be able to give you some time to tell you what you are weak at. I hear ya when you say you need to see paper and bad results to give you a kick into studying more or harder. I am the same myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

this may sound a bit harsh.... and i know not all students are the same...

but feck me... the students from WIT don't give a **** about their actions effecting residence of neighbouring estates, with parking and the problems it causes residences. Wit and other students had no problem marching and causing distruption when they where protesting against fees around the country...

So forgive me when i say HA HA... now the shoe is on the other foot, they are whining........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

robtri wrote: »

but feck me... the students from WIT don't give a **** about their actions effecting residence of neighbouring estates, with parking and the problems it causes residences. Wit and other students had no problem marching and causing distruption when they where protesting against fees around the country...

So forgive me when i say HA HA... now the shoe is on the other foot, they are whining........

Nice attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭EoinHeffernan

robtri wrote: »

Hold on now, a few points to make here:

1) you say your not going to paint them all with the same brush only to go ahead and do just that

2)The parking situation is due to a lack of available space in the WIT, obviously. It's not as if they formulated this "evil" plan of parking there cars on the side of the street to deliberately infuriate neighboring residents. If the facilities aren't there to park their cars then a compromise has to be made, quite frankly i can deal with the minor headache of the road been cluttered with parked cars when overall they are helping and contributing to the local economy.

3) You frown upon them for marching and making a stand against ridiculous increases in fees? Did you also frown upon public sector workers when they marched against pay cuts thus also causing disruption?

Just to clarify here, i'm not a student but merely somebody with a bit of common sense and without a vendetta against students, unlike you as you clearly have a lot of resentment against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Hold on now, a few points to make here:

1) you say your not going to paint them all with the same brush only to go ahead and do just that
    Thats why I said it at the start, i know not every student parks in lismore or other area's or went on marches....
    2)The parking situation is due to a lack of available space in the WIT, obviously. It's not as if they formulated this "evil" plan of parking there cars on the side of the street to deliberately infuriate neighboring residents. If the facilities aren't there to park their cars then a compromise has to be made, quite frankly i can deal with the minor headache of the road been cluttered with parked cars when overall they are helping and contributing to the local economy.

Quite frankly the residents in the surround estates can't put up it with it...
    my point was the students cause these problem to other people who have nothing to do with them or the WIT and don't give two fcuks about them...
    3) You frown upon them for marching and making a stand against ridiculous increases in fees? Did you also frown upon public sector workers when they marched against pay cuts thus also causing disruption?
    I don't think they are ridiculous fees, I think they are perfectabley reasonable... ohh and yes, public servants striking was wrong..
    Just to clarify here, i'm not a student but merely somebody with a bit of common sense and without a vendetta against students, unlike you as you clearly have a lot of resentment against them.

and so am i... i bear no resentment to students... but this attitude of we are poor innocent victims here gets up my nose... especially in light of the issues these students have caused and continue to cause to other memebers of the public... whose taxes currently pay for them to be in college..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ponderaabel

Non of them give nothing! Even if you ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

So their getting results a bit late and kicking up stink?I saw that protest on the news id say all the signs,banners,t shirts cost money.Fair enough their annoyed but students guess what welcome to the real world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

It made me laugh to see the three and four page spreads in the local papers of the hooligan students with their mommies and daddies and their square hats all smiles for their conferring etc knowing the havoc they cause in certain estates of which i could right a book on their antics. Maybe the local rags might do a big spread on the torture that local residents put up with from these students.........it would make you sick, university equals more hassle, hope it never happens...............

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

calerbass wrote: »
    It made me laugh to see the three and four page spreads in the local papers of the hooligan students with their mommies and daddies and their square hats all smiles for their conferring etc knowing the havoc they cause in certain estates of which i could right a book on their antics. Maybe the local rags might do a big spread on the torture that local residents put up with from these students.........it would make you sick, university equals more hassle, hope it never happens...............

Casting all of us students with the same brush, are we? The recent scandalous behavior by some members of the WIT Student body is a disgrace. We all know it as a disgrace and I think going as far as damaging a religious statue which meant so much to the local community was where the line was crossed. People in Waterford have every right to be angry at WIT and their students for the behavior. I completely support their views and agree with many.

However, its not fair to tarnish every student with the same brush. There is always in every walk of life a group which have no respect for their surroundings. Its the same in WIT, there are students who see no problem with getting very drunk and causing problems around the City. But not every single student is like that. There are many many, and the large majority of students in WIT, have respect for their surroundings and neighbors. They do not set out to cause trouble and they do not actually cause any. They keep to themselves and cause no problem. They study well and try to achieve their goals in college for their future. These students should not be effected because of a minority of WIT students causing trouble.

It was disappointing to hear comments made to WLR from local residents about "What goes around comes around" in relation to the dispute. There were many students who have never had any dealing with the Gardai or the college authorities, never caused any trouble on Christmas Day/RAG Week etc. These very students were held to ransom by WIT and the TUI to negotiate a new deal and improve their rights which were seen to be abused. They did not deserve to have their results held against them and effect job opportunities and future education opportunities (masters applications for example). These respectable students deserve to be educated and get the service they have paid for, without being dragged into the middle of a dispute.

Yes, there are students who brought shame onto the college and annoyed Waterford residents. But its not fair to say the whole of WIT is a "bad apple" and every student deserves to be held of their basic right of education. We are not all bad.

Sully wrote: »
    Casting all of us students with the same brush, are we? The recent scandalous behavior by some members of the WIT Student body is a disgrace. We all know it as a disgrace and I think going as far as damaging a religious statue which meant so much to the local community was where the line was crossed. People in Waterford have every right to be angry at WIT and their students for the behavior. I completely support their views and agree with many.

However, its not fair to tarnish every student with the same brush. There is always in every walk of life a group which have no respect for their surroundings. Its the same in WIT, there are students who see no problem with getting very drunk and causing problems around the City. But not every single student is like that. There are many many, and the large majority of students in WIT, have respect for their surroundings and neighbors. They do not set out to cause trouble and they do not actually cause any. They keep to themselves and cause no problem. They study well and try to achieve their goals in college for their future. These students should not be effected because of a minority of WIT students causing trouble.

It was disappointing to hear comments made to WLR from local residents about "What goes around comes around" in relation to the dispute. There were many students who have never had any dealing with the Gardai or the college authorities, never caused any trouble on Christmas Day/RAG Week etc. These very students were held to ransom by WIT and the TUI to negotiate a new deal and improve their rights which were seen to be abused. They did not deserve to have their results held against them and effect job opportunities and future education opportunities (masters applications for example). These respectable students deserve to be educated and get the service they have paid for, without being dragged into the middle of a dispute.

Yes, there are students who brought shame onto the college and annoyed Waterford residents. But its not fair to say the whole of WIT is a "bad apple" and every student deserves to be held of their basic right of education. We are not all bad.

Im afraid the long intellectual explainations of defence dont wash, and it is the majority that causes the problems and not the minority. If students like yourself are not all that bad why dont ye make some protestations to Mr Byrne to have some discipline action connected to outside behaviour by students.As for having former students stand around in yellow jackets is a laugh, money raised by the rag piss week should be given to the estates where trees are broke, lawns destroyed and vomit and piss destroy decent peoples property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Im afraid the long intellectual explainations of defence dont wash, and it is the majority that causes the problems and not the minority. If students like yourself are not all that bad why dont ye make some protestations to Mr Byrne to have some discipline action connected to outside behaviour by students.As for having former students stand around in yellow jackets is a laugh, money raised by the rag piss week should be given to the estates where trees are broke, lawns destroyed and vomit and piss destroy decent peoples property.

I agree with Sully, and I actually feel that your comment is quite condescending. Not all of us are bad, nor do we go and get pished and pee and vomit all over the place, I know there is a sizable number that do but it IS the minority. You go and pay €1500 for registration, sit your exams, don't cause hassle for the neighbours and residents and get angry when they don't release the results, I'm quite sure you'd have the same attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭KeelanM90

Majority??????????????????????????? BULLSH!T!
    Being a student myself it really annoys me when people start going and saying that most of WIT students are bad! I feel its very unfair on the student body to go and say that the actions of a very small minority of students are caused by the whole college! What makes this worse is I have noticed firsthand that most of these trouble-makers just come and go every year and a vast majority don't make it through first year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And that single sentence proves you are absolutely talking through your arse.I think over 3000 students causing mayhem would be noticable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im afraid the long intellectual explainations of defence dont wash, and it is the majority that causes the problems and not the minority.

Have you proof?

Lets look at how many students there are currently in WIT. Large number, you would imagine. Lets look at how many people turned out on RAG/Christmas Day or even how many were arrested/cautioned by the Gardai. The number is far smaller. If the number of people out/causing trouble is smaller then the total number of students - does that give a minority or majority?

Lets put Maths aside for the moment in assuming that they got the laws of Math completely wrong and we are all dumb here in WIT. If the majority of students in WIT were causing constant trouble, why is it not constantly on the news? Local or national? Why are residents not up in arms that thousands of WIT students are causing mayhem every college night?

Lets just say that, somehow, the media has been censored. Where are the residents protesting? Have they been somehow made disappear?

Okay, so far we have reached that 1) the law of Math is wrong and 2) There is a big conspiracy. Where in the name of god are all these thousands of students every night, because I fail to see them around Waterford City streets or estates?

I think we can safely conclude that its a minority.
    If students like yourself are not all that bad why dont ye make some protestations to Mr Byrne to have some discipline action connected to outside behaviour by students.

The college authorities have a system in place, which seems to be working very well, where they take action against such students. Its fairly well known and I have heard cases of where it has been used against students. Also, WIT Students Union and the local Gardai have a form of "community outreach/watch" service in some of the main student estates in an effort to tackle any anti-social behaviour. Thats also going very well.

Whats next on the cards? After Christmas Day, I would imagine the approach to the upcoming RAG week will be done differently in a further effort to cut down on the minority causing problems.
    As for having former students stand around in yellow jackets is a laugh, money raised by the rag piss week should be given to the estates where trees are broke, lawns destroyed and vomit and piss destroy decent peoples property.

Such students are working with the Gardai, so unless they are effectively useless as well - then the country, or city, must be in a right state. I was of the understanding that WITSU had made a decent effort in cleaning up such estates and helping out. Templers Hall and Lismore Park seems to have many issues addressed since my time in WIT.

I can understand your a concerned resident of one such estate, and it would frustrate and annoy me at the same time. But, its very obvious its not the majority and sadly this type of behaviour, while not right, is common everywhere. Its up to residents, the college and student bodies to work closely and together so they can bring in appropriate measures to cut down and stamp out this anti social behaviour caused by a small group of students which is causing a nuisance to residents.

Not working together or retaliating against students will not solve problems but make it worse.

Sully wrote: »
    Have you proof?

Lets look at how many students there are currently in WIT. Large number, you would imagine. Lets look at how many people turned out on RAG/Christmas Day or even how many were arrested/cautioned by the Gardai. The number is far smaller. If the number of people out/causing trouble is smaller then the total number of students - does that give a minority or majority?

Lets put Maths aside for the moment in assuming that they got the laws of Math completely wrong and we are all dumb here in WIT. If the majority of students in WIT were causing constant trouble, why is it not constantly on the news? Local or national? Why are residents not up in arms that thousands of WIT students are causing mayhem every college night?

Lets just say that, somehow, the media has been censored. Where are the residents protesting? Have they been somehow made disappear?

Okay, so far we have reached that 1) the law of Math is wrong and 2) There is a big conspiracy. Where in the name of god are all these thousands of students every night, because I fail to see them around Waterford City streets or estates?

I think we can safely conclude that its a minority.

The college authorities have a system in place, which seems to be working very well, where they take action against such students. Its fairly well known and I have heard cases of where it has been used against students. Also, WIT Students Union and the local Gardai have a form of "community outreach/watch" service in some of the main student estates in an effort to tackle any anti-social behaviour. Thats also going very well.

Whats next on the cards? After Christmas Day, I would imagine the approach to the upcoming RAG week will be done differently in a further effort to cut down on the minority causing problems.

Such students are working with the Gardai, so unless they are effectively useless as well - then the country, or city, must be in a right state. I was of the understanding that WITSU had made a decent effort in cleaning up such estates and helping out. Templers Hall and Lismore Park seems to have many issues addressed since my time in WIT.

I can understand your a concerned resident of one such estate, and it would frustrate and annoy me at the same time. But, its very obvious its not the majority and sadly this type of behaviour, while not right, is common everywhere. Its up to residents, the college and student bodies to work closely and together so they can bring in appropriate measures to cut down and stamp out this anti social behaviour caused by a small group of students which is causing a nuisance to residents.

Not working together or retaliating against students will not solve problems but make it worse.

Its going on now with years, long before templars hall existed, ask the residents of lismore lawn and surrounding areas, what have the college done, nothing, any time you ring the college they seem to think its not there problem, it is the majority and not the minority. To say im an annoyed resident is putting it mildly,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I have a feeling this post is going to run for some time considering RAG week is starting next Monday 15th. There will no doubt be a few incidents and they will be posted here. A a matter of interest do the students who feel they are being tarred with the same brush have you ever actually told students who are potentially damaging your reputation to "cop on" for themselves. I doubt it, as you would be told where to go pretty quickly. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

shapez wrote: »
    I have a feeling this post is going to run for some time considering RAG week is starting next Monday 15th. There will no doubt be a few incidents and they will be posted here. A a matter of interest do the students who feel they are being tarred with the same brush have you ever actually told students who are potentially damaging your reputation to "cop on" for themselves. I doubt it, as you would be told where to go pretty quickly. :rolleyes:
    is that not mid term?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

gobo99 wrote: »
    is that not mid term?
    Ye it is ! RAG week is 1st march till 4th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

write a book on their antics

FYP. Maybe if you had actually attended college yourself instead of tarring all of us with the same brush you might have actually learned to spell. There are a hell of a lot of messers for sure but it's very unfair to disregard all students as trouble makers as there are a great number of us also who are in college to further ourselves and our education.
    Im afraid the long intellectual explainations of defence dont wash, and it is the majority that causes the problems and not the minority

So you know every single student in the college personally do you and have been tracking their actions over the last few years? It's impossible to have a debate with someone who is so close-minded.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Im afraid the long intellectual explainations of defence dont wash, and it is the majority that causes the problems and not the minority.

ah come on in fairness, I dislike students as much as the next guy but saying its the majority that cause problems its downright misleading to everyone here and you know for a fact that nothing backs this "claim" up.
    If students like yourself are not all that bad why dont ye make some protestations to Mr Byrne to have some discipline action connected to outside behaviour by students.As for having former students stand around in yellow jackets is a laugh, money raised by the rag piss week should be given to the estates where trees are broke, lawns destroyed and vomit and piss destroy decent peoples property.

I'd agree rag week has many problems and imho it shouldn't be allowed to go on but its not fair to say the problems are caused by a majority when they clearly are not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its going on now with years, long before templars hall existed, ask the residents of lismore lawn and surrounding areas, what have the college done, nothing, any time you ring the college they seem to think its not there problem, it is the majority and not the minority. To say im an annoyed resident is putting it mildly,

To be honest I could understand the college saying its not their problem.

If you have a neighbour that plays music at 4am would you complain to the persons employer? No of course you wouldn't.

Yes there are students causing problems but saying all of them are doing it is as idiotic as saying everyone in Tramore dumps rubbish illegally or everyone in Dublin picks pockets.

General sweeping statements without actual facts to back them up help nobopdy and that don't help your crediability on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm a student, and I rarely ever go out, let alone cause problems. The majority of the people in college don't cause problems - it's the blow-ins, who rarely come to class and party every night of the week who are more inclined to cause problems.

The students who are actually putting the work in, don't go out to destroy the city.

As far as the protest goes - it was managed poorly, where students were disrupting classes with whistles and foghorns trying to drag people along to the protest, an hour before it even began.

As expected, we're getting our results. I had applied for a masters and was keen to see what sort of results I got before applying - but I wasn't going to disrupt classes over it. If people wanted to protest, they would have gone willingly. And many did - but there was no right in disrupting classes. It pissed alot of hard-working students off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

I can understand how decent WIT students , who don't cause trouble, can be offended when its said there is a "Majority" of them wrecking havoc in Waterford housing estates...........but as a Templars Hall resident I can also understand how at times it can appear that the vast majority are troublemakers.......Wednesday nights/Rag week/"Christmas"day ,Templars Hall gets swamped with hundreds of cars parked in the middle of the road/in gardens/on footpaths......numerous gangs of students , alcohol in hand , wandering the estate......roaring their heads off at each other (in the age of mobile phones/e-mail/twitter etc....you'd think they could find a better form of communication than public shouting)at times like this you can feel very isolated and believe that all students are complete dickheads.

Of course this is untrue , but it's annoying when you hear the college or the Students union trying to paint a picture that it's just a small handful of bad eggs who've come into town for the day that cause trouble.

I don't believe the majority of students are troublemakers , but I do be believe that a large portion of the students tolerate bad behaviour and that the college authorities and student unions have a duty to help change attitudes amongst the student population.

On many occasions I've witnessed students throw away bottles/cans/glasses ,on the side of the road ,or into somebody's garden , as they get into a taxi headed for town......but none of their friends see a problem with this.

If more of the majority of decent students were prepared to challenge the bad behaviour of the minority of dickheads, life might be a little better for all of us.

Advertisement