Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Strike at WIT

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

THall04 wrote: »
    If more of the majority of decent students were prepared to challenge the bad behaviour of the minority of dickheads, life might be a little better for all of us.

Since when was it our responsibility to change the mentality of a bunch of eejits who never turn up to class? Do you honestly think we can change how they act? We barely even see them. Trust me - the people who go out all week causing mayhem are the same ones who fail exams and rarely come to class. I've no time for them - there are 1000's of people around Ireland who would love an education, but instead their places are wasted on people who aren't bothered to study.

I don't get why anyone would go to college and not study and put the hard work in. In the end, you're only screwing yourself.

Any student who causes mayhem in town should be fined - any repeat offenses and they should be kicked out of the college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

dlofnep wrote: »
    Since when was it our responsibility to change the mentality of a bunch of eejits who never turn up to class? Do you honestly think we can change how they act? We barely even see them. Trust me - the people who go out all week causing mayhem are the same ones who fail exams and rarely come to class. I've no time for them - there are 1000's of people around Ireland who would love an education, but instead their places are wasted on people who aren't bothered to study.

I don't get why anyone would go to college and not study and put the hard work in. In the end, you're only screwing yourself.

Any student who causes mayhem in town should be fined - any repeat offenses and they should be kicked out of the college.

Great points.

It's been a long time since I was a student myself, but my husband is currently a mature fulltime student and as such I'd know a good few students, both mature adults, and younger ones straight out of secondary school.

Any students I personally know are either a) too busy trying to earn a wage outside of college hours to support themselves through their education to even have time to go out, b) studying their socks off at evenings and weekends trying to get assignments and thesis done, c) travelling for hours home at weekends to see their family/boyfriends/girlfriends, or d) well past the stage of even wanting to bother "going out" on the town, let alone wreaking havoc like imbeciles.
    In other words, they're too busy keeping their heads down, studying to get their degrees and keeping a roof over their heads to be bothered with the whole "student" idea of spending 7 days a week being semi-pissed/dossing about like wasters.

None of the students I know are contributing to the trouble the residents surrounding the main campus are experiencing as they mostly attend the College St campus, therefore are not parking up in those estates blocking roads, and none of them are renting houses in those afflicted estates either so they are not the ones attending/hosting ridiculously loud and obnoxious house parties there.

I know a few people who own their own houses in those estates, and I really feel for them as their lives are constantly disrupted by the ignorant selfish scumbags who are going to act like scumbags anyway, regardless of whether they are attending college, working in a job, or on the dole. Assholes aren't just confined to the student body, there's plenty of assholes who are holding down jobs who should know better given their age, who still go out with the intention of getting in fights/causing chaos/wrecking other people's property/vandalism etc. It's just harder to pin them down into one handy grouping such as "bloody students".
    I've never heard anyone going "those damn workers, their employer should fire them for acting the maggot out on the town". Having said that, I do agree that if some students are consistently getting complained to the college, they should be kicked out and stop taking up a space on a course that someone else would love to have.

I know the few students who do cause hassle do make life unbearable for some, but it's a minority, not a majority. The ones who just get on with things just aren't as visible naturally enough as they are just getting on with their studies and life in general, and therefore they don't come to the attention of anyone. From what I heard, it was a minority that acted the maggot on the protest day, but as always in life, the squeakiest wheel gets most oil. The ones who just act like normal decent people don't get a mention as no-one notices them, only the obnoxious fools get noticed and they're the ones who give the rest of the students just trying to get on with their education a bad name.

echosound wrote: »
    In other words, they're too busy keeping their heads down, studying to get their degrees and keeping a roof over their heads to be bothered with the whole "student" idea of spending 7 days a week being semi-pissed/dossing about like wasters.

Good point - Many students come to college with the intention of it being a doss, and feeling the need to be constantly in the pub to live up to their "student" expectations. It's stupid. I like a pint as much as the next person, but some people are just in college to use their grant to pay for their beers. I've worked all my life and would love a grant to help me as I'm moving to dublin for my masters and will ultimately end up sleeping in my car if I can't gather the funds - while some wasters are using their grant money to drink themselves stupid and give all us students a bad name. It really pisses me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

Good point - Many students come to college with the intention of it being a doss, and feeling the need to be constantly in the pub to live up to their "student" expectations. It's stupid. I like a pint as much as the next person, but some people are just in college to use their grant to pay for their beers. I've worked all my life and would love a grant to help me as I'm moving to dublin for my masters and will ultimately end up sleeping in my car if I can't gather the funds - while some wasters are using their grant money to drink themselves stupid and give all us students a bad name. It really pisses me off.

I have to take a little offence to that, I am 2nd year student and my first and only class night out was in the 2nd week of year 1. My course is a very hard course of which very few people actually finish. I do agree a lot of courses consist of your stereotypical "student" drinking all night and so forth. Overhearing conversations in the café i'm thinking to myself, how can these people still manage to pass a course? If you missed a day or two in my course you would have great difficulty trying to catch up. I believe the majority of these are business students

I often make a joke with the guys that when you start a business related course in WIT you get a complimentary bottle of vodka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I have to say that in my course a hell of a lot of messers were weeded out last year during the transition from third to fourth year. It's amazing how it's always the same messers that you overhear talking about how much they drank the night before complaining a few months down the line when they fail their exams.

• Advertisement

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    I have to take a little offence to that

Why would you take offense to it, when I was clearly referring to the students who go out every night on the bottle and miss the majority of their classes? I don't see what was offensive to you as an individual.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why would you take offense to it, when I was clearly referring to the students who go out every night on the bottle and miss the majority of their classes? I don't see what was offensive to you as an individual.

Surely he can only take offense to it if he's one of the students that does this? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I often make a joke with the guys that when you start a business related course in WIT you get a complimentary bottle of vodka

Do they laugh out of sympathy? :p

Cabaal wrote: »
    Surely he can only take offense to it if he's one of the students that does this? ;)

Exactly! :)

Advertisement