Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N25 - Waterford to Glenmore [design ongoing; ABP in mid 2022]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

road_high wrote: »
    True but I think given the loaves and fishes times we live in a far greater dividend could be had from bypassing the likes of Dungarvan, Killeigh and Castlemartyr on this road. This isn’t a bottleneck as such where as they most certainly are
    I agree in that regard. It's an awful pity the N25 Midleton-Youghal and N25 Dungarvan bypass schemes aren't on the cards instead.

I drove Cork-New Ross yesterday and had no issues at all on this stretch save for the roadworks at the Rhu Glenn.

The two 60km/h twists either side of Dungarvan, Dungarvan and all its roundabouts and the bad stretch east of Dungarvan were far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

marno21 wrote: »
    I agree in that regard. It's an awful pity the N25 Midleton-Youghal and N25 Dungarvan bypass schemes aren't on the cards instead.

I drove Cork-New Ross yesterday and had no issues at all on this stretch save for the roadworks at the Rhu Glenn.

The two 60km/h twists either side of Dungarvan, Dungarvan and all its roundabouts and the bad stretch east of Dungarvan were far worse.

It was completely realigned and rebuilt late 80s/early 90s- the sane cannot be said for the stretches you mention which are as bad as ever. There’s a definite safety issue which could be addressed in the interim and money prioritised where it’s needed far worse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Don't get me started on this being anywhere on the priority list, especially over Castlemartyr, Killeagh, Dungarvan..... and thats only the N25.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Don't get me started on this being anywhere on the priority list, especially over Castlemartyr, Killeagh, Dungarvan..... and thats only the N25.
    100%. The idea that this is more urgent than Dungarvan, and Midleton-Youghal is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Beyond the fact people are having a moan it's remarkable that a 10 km section of road will take the thick end of 20 years from initial outline to likely completion!

• Advertisement

Public consultation on route options pending lifting of covid-19 restrictions

https://n25waterford2glenmore.ie/assets/pdf/Public-Consultation-No.1-Notification-re-Covid-19.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Ad in Wexford People today re route selection
    515026.jpg

jd wrote: »
    Ad in Wexford People today re route selection
    515026.jpg

Thanks jd

More information on the website at https://n25waterford2glenmore.ie/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Given the corridor width of the current road I'd have though it by far the obvious option.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Lots of question on this given this passage from the website

A Preferred Route Corridor was identified and this is included in the current Kilkenny County Development Plan 2014 – 2020. Due to changes in environmental legislation, design standards and to comply with the requirements of the current Public Spending Code, new route corridor options will be developed and assessed by Atkins and a new Preferred Route Corridor will be identified.

Is there any information on what the previous preferred route was compared to the new options? The implication I take from the above was that it would be too expensive to implement the previous route. This seems to be designed as a 2+2 option but is that different from HQDC? Was the previous route HQDC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Jayuu wrote: »

A Preferred Route Corridor was identified and this is included in the current Kilkenny County Development Plan 2014 – 2020. Due to changes in environmental legislation, design standards and to comply with the requirements of the current Public Spending Code, new route corridor options will be developed and assessed by Atkins and a new Preferred Route Corridor will be identified.

Is there any information on what the previous preferred route was compared to the new options? The implication I take from the above was that it would be too expensive to implement the previous route. This seems to be designed as a 2+2 option but is that different from HQDC? Was the previous route HQDC?

I hope it is HQDC they go with; otherwise the part where they say about continuity of road standards from Kilmeaden to New Ross will be a load of hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Jayuu wrote: »

Pg 243 shows a route

https://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Community_Culture/Social-Inclusion/Kilkenny-County-Development-Plan-2014-2020.pdf

It will be very bad for the sake of 9km if they go 2+2 instead of HQDC on this route. Would I be correct no jnctions are required so HQDC verses 2+2 is likely little cost savings.

Here's what should be done imo:

Grade separate the roundabouts at Glenmore and Slieverue and provide motorway grade DC in between. Redesignate the entire stretch of N25 from Kilmeaden the R733 junction east of the bridge as M25. Then you would have 31km of motorway grade road continuously.

In the future the short sighted mess that is the M9/N24/N25 situation can be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

marno21 wrote: »
    In the future the short sighted mess that is the M9/N24/N25 situation can be addressed.

Is it that awful though? I drive through it twice a day and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Apparently DC type isn’t decided and will be determined once route selection is complete.

If this nonsense gets built, then 2+2 is more than enough for it.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Apparently DC type isn’t decided and will be determined once route selection is complete.

Indeed. This will be fully decided in Phases 3/4 (design/planning app).

There will be a preliminary decision on cross section type at the end of the route selection phase but this is subject to change (as what happened in the M21 Limerick-Foynes scheme).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If this nonsense gets built, then 2+2 is more than enough for it.

2+2 is dangerous for people cycling the route.

That's a reason to provide facilities for cyclists and pedestrians in a manner optimal for them rather than an issue with 2+2

Existing 100km/h unseparated roads with frequent accesses and heavy vehicles pulling into hard shoulders isn't exactly safe either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

There won't be a need for cyclists to be on that route since the New Ross to Waterford cycle greenway will run almost parallel, give or take a hundred metres depending on the actual route decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

On local paper that the preferred route to be announced before the end of March

steeler j wrote: »
    On local paper that the preferred route to be announced before the end of March
    https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/motoring-news/608885/new-n25-route-in-south-kilkenny-to-be-selected-in-coming-weeks.html

Preferred route published:

https://map.n25waterford2glenmore.ie/en

Looks like an online upgrade of the N25 on the northern end with the southern part offline.

Route selection report: https://www.n25waterford2glenmore.ie/assets/pdf/Display_Links/02_5190130-ATK-ZZ-ZZ-RE-RP-0008_Main%20Report.pdf

Main points:

-> Will be Type 1 or Type 2 dual carriageway
    -> No grade separation of either the New Ross roundabout at the northern end or the Luffany roundabout at the southern end
    -> Potential provision of an intermediate Glenmore junction TBC
    -> TII intend to designate the Waterford bypass, this new road, and the New Ross bypass as a Protected Road after completion. This means no direct accesses onto the route and potential for banning certain traffic types from using the route.

Proposed to go to ABP in the latter half of 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

I'm not from that area but know that route intimately having travelled on it hundreds of times. It looks to me to be a sensible and economical project given that there may be no new junctions required (GSJ's or otherwise). The online upgrade of the New Ross-Glenmore section also makes sense as it is already a very wide road and the terrain to either side of the route is quite hilly.

I can't see this project costing a huge amount (relatively) so I can see the cost-benefit analysis being quite positive. Also, despite the good quality and width of the existing road, there have been a disproportionate number of severe accidents over the years, especially where cars are paused in the middle of the road when turning right to a side road.

I'm definitely in favour of this going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It would also make sense for the new road to incorporate about 250m of the existing road north of the southern roundabout. Run the existing N25 (presumably downgraded to a L road) into the local road which connects to the roundabout on the south eastern side. No need for five arms on that roundabout.

Surprised they went for that route actually, I thought they would cut the corner.

Having used this route a little recently, my intense opposition to it has softened just a little bit... as it would result in a long stretch of good road.... but my point still stands, that this should be 3rd in the list for N25 upgrades, below a Midleton - Kilmacthomas (incl new Youghal Bridge) and the Dungarvan bypass. Neither of which are on the cards while this gets fast tracked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Surprised they went for that route actually, I thought they would cut the corner.

Having used this route a little recently, my intense opposition to it has softened just a little bit... as it would result in a long stretch of good road.... but my point still stands, that this should be 3rd in the list for N25 upgrades, below a Midleton - Kilmacthomas (incl new Youghal Bridge) and the Dungarvan bypass. Neither of which are on the cards while this gets fast tracked.

Dungarvan and Youghal won't be getting new roads for a very very long time. They would be expensive builds and the level of traffic doesn't justify it. For all the issues with the roads, safety isn't one.

Advertisement