Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 - Waterford to Glenmore [design ongoing; ABP in mid 2022]

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Got a response from kilkenny Co Co, since this doesn’t by pass a town, it’s not gonna happen any time soon unfortunately. Not their decision but from central government. Looks like I’ll be staying on the back roads to avoid the auld wans holding up the road and dropping to 50km/h for the bends for many more years.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Eamon Ryan doesn't like big roads so unfortunately it does have to remain on the back burner. It doesn't matter that people are getting killed on this section of road that TII had clearly flagged for improvement, or that it's busier now that it's sandwiched between two dual carriageways, it has to wait for new leadership at the Department of Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah, this one sadly is an Eamonn Ryan holdup. Get him out (will he be reshuffled in December? I bloody hope so) and we can get things like this one back on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

No, although FFG will shuffle and play musical Cabinet chairs, the Greens there are keeping their bums firmly on the seats they're on.

This stretch is going to have speed cameras deployed to it now. You’d be doing well to average over 100km/h in either direction over this stretch. You’ll always get stuck behind a slow driver, lorry or camper even at night. (Though it’s not 100% clear that it will be an average speed camera from the article, in fairness)
    You get motorbikes ripping along here at the weekend but they are unlikely to be snapped by a camera.
    With an election looming, the need to green light the money for this road. They’ll lose serious votes otherwise. 2 dual carriageways linked by this throwback is a disgrace.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2024/05/01/gardai-announce-locations-of-nine-new-speed-cameras-at-accident-black-spots/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its actually not a bad road at all, if people just drove sensibly and didn't tailgate or do stupid overtaking on this short stretch (between two dual carriageways) then the accident rate would plummet. This one is human behavior, sadly.

That said, of course for route consistency it should be 2+2. Needs to be nudged forward, this one, but then I'm a fan of strategic routes and how Cork - Rosslare should ALL be 2+2.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TII appeared to be prioritising this one given how advanced it had got in 2019. It had a route selected in 2019, despite the fact that the funding envelopes published in early 2020 did not envisage it going to construction this side of 2020.

In some ways, there seemed to be a push to patch up some of these dual carriageway gaps (this, and the N4 at Carrick on Shannon come to mind), but at the same time there were more to be created on the N21 for example.

Of course, the idea of using road dualling as a safety measure has gone out the window since the dweebs were invited into coalition so perhaps this novel idea might be revisited post election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

It's deceptive. Looks fine, but there's lots of dips and hidden junctions.

It's not actually that busy, but given the poor visibility and the fact that it carries a fair amount of goods traffic, it should be upgraded on safety grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Every road death can be attributed to human behaviour I suppose, but the design of this road is no longer fit for purpose.

eg. right turns are still allowed here, so a car can be stopped on the white line waiting, with traffic 1m either side of them going past in opposite directions at 100km/h. Nuts.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/mW35o6PyZhsxY4pPA

Multiple crossings and houses and farms opening out on to this. Cars having to turn across 3 lanes of traffic and a hard shoulder to join it in places. Not safe for pedestrians and cyclist really. Good luck cycling up the hill from the Glenmore roundabout toward Waterford where there is no hard shoulder. Etc. etc. The best driver behaviour in the world doesn’t change all these issues.
    Rosslare and up the N24 to the M8 should be dual carriageway. You essentially link Cork and Waterford Cities with dual carriageway via this route too. Finish the N24 up to Limerick and you have a fabulous network across the country.
    Whether that’ll ever happen….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I think the N25 DC should head west, new junction on the M9 and connect to an upgraded Fiddown bypass. It would link up much of Munster and south Leinster and would help justify upgrading the N24 and proper bypasses of places like Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

One morning I was travelling from New Ross to Waterford on the left lane of the climbing lane stretch at Glenmore. A UK registered car coming from Waterford suddenly passed me on the wrong side of the road (head on) in the outside climbing lane - obviously totally confused by the road set-up and lining. There was no other traffic in either direction. I consider myself lucky to this day to be able to tell the story.

Advertisement