Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitting stoves

• 03-02-2010 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

Is there anyone on boards here that fits stoves?

I am in 2 minds as to what time I want either an insert stove or a normal stove sitting on the hearth.

I would need the fire removed and the stove set in place or the hearth and it insulated around the flue and blocked off nice and neat and tidy where the old fire place used to be.

Is anyone here in the stove fitting business and wants some work, also wouls you reccomend an insert stove, I know how they qwork but just dont know anyone that every had one to ask them.

many thanks

paddy
    www.chupasart.com

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 adzar

ive fitted a few of them there isnt too much too it.are you wanting to put in a stove that will also heat your hot water?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Paddy I have a guy that does them, you know how to get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

Hi Paddy,

I have had two inserts fitted, one in the last house we lived in and also in my present house. They are just so good I cannot recommend them enough. If you are anyway handy they are very easy to install. I did both of them and had no problems. In the first case it was in a new house which did not have a fire back installed, so was easy. The second was in a secondhand house so was a bit more work, with modifying the fireplace to accept the insert and installing a register plate. But the heat and the ease of control is just brill. load up the fire with a few logs or peat briquittes and it will just simmer away for hours throwing our plenty of heat. in both cases we have had to open doors to cool the sitting room down a bit. the peace of mind with the glass door is a bonus. When i think back to all of the open fireplaces we used to have and the huddling about to get a timy bit heat, what a waste of energy!!!
    They are also great in that they do not take up much space.
    Just my pennys worth for what its worth.

BrenC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

adzar many thanks for the info, i just want t to heat the room

Eoghan I will be onto you soon mate to get your mans details.

Bren Cooney, thanks for the info I heard they were really good but have yet to talk to anyone who has one. I am not DIY incllined at all and would rather know that the person I am getting in to do knows whats he is at.

Can I ask you one final question Brencooney, would the heat coming out of it affect a wooden hearth. I have one and heard that it might warp it... I would only have it on the odd evening and weekends in the winter and rarely after that. Do you think this would cause damage to the hearth?

many thanks paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

Hi Paddy,

We use ours every night from about the end of september to about april (we then use only about 500 litres of oil per year). on both of the ones i installed there is a metal surround which hides the cavity into which they fit and even on the biggest fires the bottom piece would only gets luke warm, so the hearth will be okay. The top of it will get hot however so be careful on what type of mantlepiece you have. If you have a good fire going the amount of heat that comes from it is astounding so things above it can get quite hot.

BrenC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

sorry brendan

I meant to say mantle piece:) a wooden hearth where did i get that one:)

do you think it would damage a wooden mantle piece over time? have been told yes by some people and no by others

thanks paddy

I

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

hi paddy,

I have a wooden mantle piece and it is about 16 in above the insert. it can get warm butit has not become discoloured. in the previous house we didnt have a mantle piece and it looked fine. hope this helps

BrenC

Advertisement