Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse Compensation

• 03-02-2010 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me the amount of abuse compensation that was/is to be paid following the Ryan and Murphy Reports? On a youtube video I watched it said the Church had paid 10% of the total amount leaving the taxpayer to pay the rest. Is this true? And If so, does the €125m or so in assets the church transferred to the government make up the other 90%?

Basically I've looking for figures here. I'm open to correction on anything I've said. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Under the 2002 indemnity agreement between the State and the congregations, the religious orders were awarded indemnity against all future claims if they paid €128 million in cash and property.
    And you might get up to date info here:

http://www.oneinfour.ie/press/

I haven't really being following it, but I believe some institutions have since offered more in the way of compensation 'voluntarily'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Difficult to tell really, since nobody seems to be releasing information on it. What little is available has been provided by the government, but it's tough getting the information out of them.

Basically, the deal ten years or so ago had the congregations (not the institutional church) paying EUR125m to absolve them of any further claims. From my fading memory, I believe of that 125, around 65% was property, around 25% was cash and around 10% was "services". Last time I looked, I recall that less than half of the property that had been promised had been transferred (and most of that was schools etc which can't be sold). I believe most or all of the cash has been paid, and heaven only knows about the "services". This is ten years into the deal.

Last year, it all blew up very nastily after the Ryan Report and some of the congregations promised to provide extra cash, but to my knowledge, nothing's been actually been paid yet.

And while all of that is going on, the congregations -- most of which are dying and will be effectively dead in twenty years -- have asset stripped their organizations and dumped the contents into "trusts" which are then controlled either by the surviving members of the congregations, or by people sympathetic to them.

The state has not come out of this all that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not startling at all, business as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

• Advertisement
Advertisement