Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ventilation, Mold and Rent Reduction Issues

Options
  • 03-02-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Myself and two friends have been living in our apartment for 5 months now and we have a few issues but im not sure how to go about getting them sorted. We are in an up market building in south Dublin.

About 3 months ago there was a large water leak through the ceiling in our hallway from a flat roof above us. The management company arrived within a few days and patched it up. The same leak happened again in January (during the bad weather) but the management company still haven’t done anything about it as they say they are very busy. The leaks have also caused damage to the carpet under the crack. Should I continue contacting the management company or go to the landlord / letting agency?

A few weeks ago we moved our TV in the main room. When we moved it we found a large amount of mould growing on the carpet where it used to be. We also had a mould problem behind a curtain in our kitchen the month before. It seems then that the apartment has a bad ventilation problem. There are no vents in the apartment, only small slits that are part of the windows. I mentioned before that these seemed inadequate, but was told that they were fine.

There is also a massive problem with the ventilation in the main bathroom. It is quite large and has no windows. The only ventilation is from one extractor fan. We have friends living in the same building who have the same fan but for a bathroom about 1/3 of the size compared to ours. The door has to be left open all day after someone having a shower in the morning or moisture builds up and mould starts to grow. The other bathroom also has this problem but not as badly as it is smaller.

I am also planning on asking for a rent reduction. The apartments in the building are going for less than when we moved in and my friends who moved into the building last month are paying ¼ less than us and have a similar apartment. As we are in a 12 month lease, is there much chance of getting a reduction?

This is my first apartment so, any advice on how to proceed with these problems would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you open the windows during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Not normally as we all work. We are also on the ground floor so we can't leave them open.
    If i am ever working from home I air out the place.

Advertisement