Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walking problem???

Options
  • 03-02-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

ok i have a 5 1/2 month old border collie who is brilliant in every way except when i take her for a walk.She is pretty good on the lead as in she doesn't really pull or jump around but the problem is she is afraid of traffic coming along behind her especially trucks & lorries. She will suddenly sit and freeze on the spot and no amount of calling,,pulling or cojolling will get her to move.As soon as car has gone by shes off again. I suppose all along we had been walking her in the evenings and only for small walks cos she was so young but now i'm taking her with me on my walks in the mornings when traffic is a bit busy,
    So i'm wondering should i keep taking her so she will get used to the noise and if so how do i get her to relax?? or should i not take her and wait till later in the day?? i dont like seeing her freaked out but i'm not sure the best approach...advice please.........:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have a similar problem with one of my pair; everytime she sees a bus she dives behind my legs.

Sitting at a bus stop feeding her treats every time a bus went by helped a bit, enough that she stopped freezing on the spot. I also found it helpful to keep her on the 'wall' side of me rather than the 'road' side. She seems to feel more secure when I'm between her and the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

THIS http://www.thepuppyschool.co.uk/acatalog/Sounds_for_Life_CD.html is what you need!!! I'll be stocking them in my doggie daycare in Cork city in the coming weeks, but not open yet. A similar cd worked wonders with my sisters nervous pup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

THIS http://www.thepuppyschool.co.uk/acatalog/Sounds_for_Life_CD.html is what you need!!! I'll be stocking them in my doggie daycare in Cork city in the coming weeks, but not open yet. A similar cd worked wonders with my sisters nervous pup!

Excellent idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

that might be worth a try thanks,,,,let us know when you open ,,i'll be up for a nose............thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

My fella was like that when I got him first but after a few walks he doesnt mind the traffic anymore. My suggestion is that when a you see a vehicle of any sort come along stop with the dog and wait until its gone rubbing the dog. After a while the dog wont want to run or hide , but it will take a few walks before this starts to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

One of mine suffered from a problem with buses and trucks when we first got her. Whenever one went past she'd shake and stand still. I just kept tugging gently on her lead while talking calmly to her, telling her there was nothing to be afraid of and calling her a good girl when she walked on. Possibly the wrong approach but it worked with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Thanks everyone:),,i took her out this morning but change the route,,instead of the busy main rd i took her through 2 ajoining estates and by 9.15 the heavy traffic was gone i took her back on the main rd,still plenty cars but not so many lorries and she was much better, by the end all i had to do was give a gental tug and call her in a happy hello hello type tone and she walked on. There were a few times when her butt hit the ground but in fairness they were refuce lorries so cant blame her. Whats funny is she doesn't mind traffic coming toward her just the ones from behind that make her sit...I hope with time she will just get used to all the sounds and relax and enjoy the walk..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Hyperupdate

Good to see people walking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rachums

My boarder collie (she is 6months old) is very egar! once she is out she just speeds ahead pulling the hand off me. She wont walk beside me! any tips?? Also when do you know your dog is ready to be off the lead??

Advertisement