Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me fill a cheap case, with cheap parts!

Options
  • 03-02-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭

Ok so i picked this case up for a song not so long ago

And i find myself in need of another PC, so realistacally what can i do with it? Any hope of doing any sort of gaming on it (considering the 300W no name power supply :\)

Dont need a disk drive or a HD, but would need everything else, what sort of route should i be taking?

I have a e5200 in my main pc that I could upgrade and put in this if it was runner.

Any recomendations/advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Do you need a CPU and/or mobo or not? That E5200 should be fine, especially if you squeezed a bit more out of it (say 3.3GHz+). If you need new stuff I'd be tempted to point you in the direction of cheap Athlon2/Penom2s instead; LGA1156 is still too pricey as a platform to fit in the ultrabudget bracket (those €90+ mobos really aren't helping your market penetration any Intel...).

Everything else depends on whether you stick with LGA775 or not. "Or not" means you need DDR3 memory instead of DDR2 but there's not much of a difference in price anyway.

As for graphics... oh dear... EDIT: misread the case spec. You're ****ed. Low-profile PCI slots! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

My e5200 is at 4Ghz on stock voltages :P

I would need a motherboards alright as i have nothing mATX

There currently is no monitor, but it def wont be 1080p anyways, cause if it is its better than my current 1680x1050 monitor and this will get moved on.

DDR2 is fine with me if i save a few quid on the mobo.

EDIT: @ your edit: Was kind of wondering allright! I couldnt see any low profile versions of anything you were mentioning!

By a bit of gaming i mean a bit of something like L42, doesnt need to be maxed, just run ok

L42?

Not sure what kind of oomph you could possibly hope to get out of a HD4630. Low-profile and dirt-cheap, but while they have the same GPU as a fully-fledged HD4650 its wedged onto the PCB off the HD4350/4550, which cripples the memory bus width :( It'd be livable if the card had GDDR5 memory, but just like a HD4650 it only has DDR2 :eek: I don't know if it'd have enough bandwidth to run Peggle even in spite of the okayish GPU :(

Otherwise you're stuck paying barmy amounts to import rare low-profile Galaxy/Albatron 9600/9800GTs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

mobo http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=451108
    ram http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=181899&cat=8
    gpu http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=578994

basic but i would of thought should do the job but dont know what ur budget is

Can't believe Pix gives the low-profile 9800GT a €35 mark-up compared to the US! $99 != €106.35!! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement