Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City of Sligo

Options
  • 03-02-2010 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Is Sligo the only City in the World not to have a Lord Mayor?

Is Sligo the only City in the World not to have a public toilet?

Or maybe Sligo is not really a City as claimed!

DD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I've never thought of Sligo as a city. It's a town.

Is it supposed to be a city?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Accoording to the signs for the parking in sligo city it is.

And the sign Welcome to Sligo Gateway City.

I always have a giggle when I see them. It is a town (a small town).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm almost sure there is a public toilet in Sligo.

bobcar61 wrote: »

Where? Can't remeber seeing one. I thought McDonalds was that till they moved to Carraroe

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

sligo, city?

:confused:

does it meet the crazy irish criteria of having a university, no, a catherdrial yes, and other stuff which escapes me at the moment, if you put sligo or any of the other so called cities on this island in any other country they would just be a small town
    Where? Can't remeber seeing one. I thought McDonalds was that till they moved to Carraroe

damn you, beat me to it

:D

• Advertisement

Upstairs in Johnston Court and also in Quayside, do they classify as Public Toilets?

Upstairs in Johnston Court and also in Quayside, do they classify as Public Toilets?

Forgot about those! I stand corrected!

irish-stew wrote: »

does it meet the crazy irish criteria of having a university, no

What is St.Angelas considered, a University?

McDonald's is gone from O'Connell St now? What's where that used to be?

I don't think a University makes a difference. Waterford's a city and they only have WIT. Doubt St. Angela's is a uni either, surely not?

I always thought that the city title depended on the population.

Mc Donalds is now out at Carraroe Retail Park, I don't think it's just population which makes a town become a city.
    St.Angelas is a college of NUI Galway hence I thought it might be a university.

• Advertisement

I see.

Still can't think of Sligo as a city. It's a town. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What is St.Angelas considered, a University?

thought st.angelas was just a campus

:confused:
    takola wrote: »
    McDonald's is gone from O'Connell St now? What's where that used to be?

irish perminate bank or similar

I always thought that the city title depended on the population.

generally yes or based on percentage of the population of the whole country, although just seen this on wiki if its of any interest to anyone
    City status in Ireland is decided by legislative or royal charter. Dublin, with 1 million residents in the Greater Dublin Area, is the largest city on the island. Other cities are:

Belfast (pop. 276,459)
    Cork (pop. 190,384)
    Limerick (pop. 90,800)
    Derry (pop. 90,736)
    Galway (pop. 72,700)
    Lisburn (pop. 71,465)
    Waterford (pop. 49,200)
    Newry (pop. 27,433)
    Armagh (pop. 14,590)
    Kilkenny (pop. 22,179), while strictly no longer a city, is entitled by law to described itself as such.

Several towns have larger populations than some of these cities but are not recognised as cities because they lack historic charters or legal status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Sligo a city, when?????????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

ddoom wrote: »

DD

No city council, not a city end of. (I'm looking at you too Kilkenny) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

you mean in storage in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

DD

Belfast, Cork and Dublin are the only Irish cities to have Lords Mayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Sligo was named made a "Gateway City" back in the greedy days a couple of elections ago me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

St. Angela's College

Sligo is not a city. It calls itself that for tourism purposes I suppose. There are plenty of Gateways in Ireland. The whole scenario is quite laughable. They pedestrianise O' Connell Street. Trying to get the same "feel" as Temple Bar, Shop Street etc. Pass by on a random day and on the street there were only enough people to count on your two hands. They have since reopened it to traffic. Wise move.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ddoom

This is great, this discussion has invoked some passion and worthwhile debate me thinks.

Years ago, the then Town Hall was closed for renovations, when it was re-opened it was renamed to City Hall.

The Sligo Champion in ink states that the Newspaper is for Sligo City and County. (Checked this morning).

Councillors refer to Sligo as a City. Ocean FM refers to Sligo as a City.

The reason for this would seem to be simple. If Sligo were a City, then the Sligo Borough Council would receive more monies as would I suspect the Sligo County Council.

The Sligo Borough claim in its literature that Sligo is a City, (They also claim that their Web site http://www.sligoborough.ie/ is W3C compliant which it is not as it failed a basic validation test)

The Sligo County Council also claim in its literature that Sligo is a City, (and they also claim that their Web site http://www.sligococo.ie/ is W3C compliant which it is not as it failed a basic validation test)

It seems to me that a certain element in Sligo suffer from Grandiosity.

DD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ponderaabel

Isn't it Sligo Town??!!

• Advertisement

Below are just some of the sources helping to promote the fallacy that Sligo is a City.

Sligo Races
    Sligo City Hotel
    Sligo County Council
    Sligo Borough Council
    IT Sligo
    Sligo Champion
    Sligo Triathlon
    Sligo Tourism
    Sligo City Cabs
    Sligo Southern Hotel
    Sligo County Enterprise board
    Core Concepts Print Promotion & Design
    Sligo Chamber of Commerce and Industry
    Sligo Car Hire
    Milligan Place Student Accommodation
    Sligo Riverside Suites Hotel
    Treasury Holdings
    Clarion Hotel Sligo
    Bus Éireann

The Facts.
    • Sligo has a City Hall
    • There are signs ‘Welcome to Sligo Gateway City.’
    • But there are also signs for 'Town Centre'
    • Sligo has a Town Clerk
    • 30th March 1612 James I, by Royal Charter, bestowed on Sligo the status of a Corporate town.
    • Sligo is not listed in the Local Government Act of 2001 as a City (neither is Kilkenny)
    • In Ireland there is no official criteria as such in terms of population or otherwise to define what is a city.
    • January 2008 Academics from Dublin Institute of Technology and the Urban Forum claimed that even if Sligo’s population doubles over the next 20 years it will not become a city.

So bottom line is that Sligo is Officially a TOWN by Irish Law.

DD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Below are just some of the sources helping to promote the fallacy that Sligo is a City.

Sligo Races
    Sligo City Hotel
    Sligo County Council
    Sligo Borough Council
    IT Sligo
    Sligo Champion
    Sligo Triathlon
    Sligo Tourism
    Sligo City Cabs
    Sligo Southern Hotel
    Sligo County Enterprise board
    Core Concepts Print Promotion & Design
    Sligo Chamber of Commerce and Industry
    Sligo Car Hire
    Milligan Place Student Accommodation
    Sligo Riverside Suites Hotel
    Treasury Holdings
    Clarion Hotel Sligo
    Bus Éireann

The Facts.
    • Sligo has a City Hall
    • There are signs ‘Welcome to Sligo Gateway City.’
    • But there are also signs for 'Town Centre'
    • Sligo has a Town Clerk
    • 30th March 1612 James I, by Royal Charter, bestowed on Sligo the status of a Corporate town.
    • Sligo is not listed in the Local Government Act of 2001 as a City (neither is Kilkenny)
    • In Ireland there is no official criteria as such in terms of population or otherwise to define what is a city.
    • January 2008 Academics from Dublin Institute of Technology and the Urban Forum claimed that even if Sligo’s population doubles over the next 20 years it will not become a city.

So bottom line is that Sligo is Officially a TOWN by Irish Law.

DD

In Ireland there is no official criteria as such in terms of population or otherwise to define what is a city.

My understanding is that until recently there were TWO types of Borough: County Boroughs like Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Dublin and Municipal Boroughs such as Drogheda, Clonmel and Sligo.

The County Boroughs were regarded as cities and the others were not, except for Kilkenny which was always called a city although it was only a Municipal Borough.

Sligo is not/was not/never will be a city. Nothing wrong with that - being called a town has not hindered other areas eg Tralee.

The people calling Sligo a city consist of
    • a small group natives proud of its history, but mainly
    • Chamber of Commerce types who think the title "city" would boost the area and their profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Havin a slash in a doorway after a skinful doesn't count.... :D

Nope. They are in shopping centers run by private operators. Doesn't count.

The problem with the jacks is that no one in the council can agree on where they should be located. O Connell st would have been a good idea, but not since there is traffic on it again. Ingenius

They couldn't agree on the colour of shite - Pun intended

Sligo is a town and it always will be. There is no way it could be classified as a city.

Wasn't there a discussion before about locating the portaloo at the park up in Maugherboy past Saint Mary's football pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Thw word city is a fantasy word conjured up in the minds of the locals. It's a farce.

The Sligo Champion is constantly referring to Sligo as a city. Headlines and paragraphs with "Sligo City development","Massive fantastic shopping centre opening in the middle of Sligo City Centre" and "O'Connell Street in Sligo City Centre" are frequent.

It's laughable. Yes, there is an O'Connell Street but it isn't Dublin for christ sake. It is that type of puke that would put you off purchasing the Champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Sligo City/Sligo Town? This matters because?????

Its just Sligo, full stop.

The same way Mayo is, well, Mayo.....

It matters because it is wrong.

It matters because it is an untruth.

Just like Sligo claimed that Glencar Weterfall was in Sligo when it is actually in Leitrim.

Sligo is just another small Irish town with visions of grandeur.

DD

It matters because it is wrong.

It matters because it is an untruth.

Just like Sligo claimed that Glencar Weterfall was in Sligo when it is actually in Leitrim.

Sligo is just another small Irish town with visions of grandeur.

DD

We've all admitted none of us think Sligo is a city. I really don't see why you're getting so worked up over it. It's not really important.

I wouldn't call it a small town anymore either. Was when the centre was 4 streets but it's growing now and is bigger than it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Essexboy wrote: »
    Belfast, Cork and Dublin are the only Irish cities to have Lords Mayor.

Kevin Kiely is the Mayor of Limerick. Explain that.

• Advertisement

We've all admitted none of us think Sligo is a city. I really don't see why you're getting so worked up over it. It's not really important.

I wouldn't call it a small town anymore either. Was when the centre was 4 streets but it's growing now and is bigger than it used to be.

It is not a large town either. The population is only about 18.000 people. That would class as a very small town bording to large village in Holland and we don't have real large cities in European context.

http://www.sligotown.net/

Advertisement