Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City of Sligo

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Kevin Kiely is the Mayor of Limerick. Explain that.

Explain what? So what if he's the mayor? Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

It is not a large town either. The population is only about 18.000 people. That would class as a very small town bording to large village in Holland and we don't have real large cities in European context.

http://www.sligotown.net/

I'd always thought the population was closer to 30,000! :eek:

Well, at least it's a pretty village. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

Sligo city? I think you mean sligo (sh)ity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Explain what? So what if he's the mayor? Good luck to him.

I was replying to a previous post and .... oh whats the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

takola wrote: »
    I'd always thought the population was closer to 30,000! :eek:

Well, at least it's a pretty village. :D

LOL

See I always thought 30.000 aswell till I googled it... I am al wisdom with google!

• Advertisement

As Sligo is a 'town' with an Institute of technology wouldn't the population of the town swell from the months of September to May. I know it wouldn't be legit to the census but you could add another 4-5000 to the official population.

Posted by Essexboy
    Belfast, Cork and Dublin are the only Irish cities to have Lords Mayor.

pappyodaniel replied:
    Kevin Kiely is the Mayor of Limerick. Explain that.

What do you want explained?

Posted by Essexboy

pappyodaniel replied:

What do you want explained?

Is Limerick not a city?

Is Limerick not a city?

Depends, maybe accoording to Irish standards (don't know them really) but the population is only 91.000. Hardly a city in european context not.

http://www.lookaroundireland.com/city/limerick.htm

According to this only 51.000

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm

Depends, maybe accoording to Irish standards (don't know them really) but the population is only 91.000. Hardly a city in european context not.

http://www.lookaroundireland.com/city/limerick.htm

According to this only 51.000

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm

Why are ye making such a big deal out of throw-away comment? an earlier poster claimed there were only 3 cities in ireland with a lord mayor. i corrected this statement saying Kevin Kiely is the Lord Mayor of Limerick. Limerick is a city and the population is up for debate because of boundary issues where the city has extended into areas that are part of the county council and in some cases into another county (Clare). It is the 3rd largest city in Ireland, it has a Lord Mayor.

PS Sligo is not a city.

• Advertisement

Is Limerick not a city?

Nothing to do with whether or not if Limerick is a city. It is but it doesn't have a Lord Mayor - like Galway, Waterford etc.

Why are ye making such a big deal out of throw-away comment? an earlier poster claimed there were only 3 cities in ireland with a lord mayor. i corrected this statement saying Kevin Kiely is the Lord Mayor of Limerick. Limerick is a city and the population is up for debate because of boundary issues where the city has extended into areas that are part of the county council and in some cases into another county (Clare). It is the 3rd largest city in Ireland, it has a Lord Mayor.

PS Sligo is not a city.

Uhh you asked a question, I answered.

Like holland Ireland doesn't have real cities. Our countries are to small (eventhough holland has 4 times the population of Ireland) to have real cities so it is quite laughable to call small town cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Does the fact that its a town make it bad? Would it be better if it were a city?

The point of this post its seems is to slag off Sligo.

Nothing to do with whether or not if Limerick is a city. It is but it doesn't have a Lord Mayor - like Galway, Waterford etc.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Kevin_Kiely_%28Mayor_of_Limerick%29

Yes. MAYOR. Not LORD Mayor! Plenty of towns have Mayors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

ddoom wrote: »
    It matters because it is wrong.

It matters because it is an untruth.

Just like Sligo claimed that Glencar Weterfall was in Sligo when it is actually in Leitrim.

Sligo is just another small Irish town with visions of grandeur.

DD

Really, it's that important???
    Why does everything have to be defined and put in its own box.
    Dictionary.com City = A large or important town.

Sligo = Sligo Town as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

ireland has two cities dublin and belfast (just about)a metropolitan pop approaching 500k is required by any objective reasoning to qualify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Is Sligo the only City in the World not to have a Lord Mayor?

Is Sligo the only City in the World not to have a public toilet?

Or maybe Sligo is not really a City as claimed!

DD

Sligo is not officially a city. It is a designated Gateway city: the idea being with investment (and a power station) it might be a large centre for the NW and support a population of over 50,000. Anything with over 50,000 is probably a city by Irish standards.

CoCo etc calling it a city is to promote the gateway thing. Nothing wrong with that if it (gateway project) brings investment to Sligo.

In the 70's Sligos population was 14,000 and Galway's 21,000. Galway has
    now 72,000. We are missing out. Nothing wrong with ambition.

Absolutly nothing wrong with ambition. But to call some place a city and then hope investers will be interested is a strange idea IMO. If nothing changes (and the chamber of commerce for one make sure of that) you can call it all you like but people won't invest.

You need a bit more of a plan then just call it city and hope all will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Tralee is slightly larger than Sligo and both are considered towns. Having an airport makes Sligo a Gateway City, but that's it i'm afraid. Bad infrastructure with parking and the Chamber of Commerce jointly at the top of the list is hindering Sligo imo. It's a nice little town.

• Advertisement

Absolutly nothing wrong with ambition. But to call some place a city and then hope investers will be interested is a strange idea IMO. If nothing changes (and the chamber of commerce for one make sure of that) you can call it all you like but people won't invest.

You need a bit more of a plan then just call it city and hope all will be good.

There is a plan in place called the Gateway Index:

This is a long document but it identifies Sligo as one of 9 "Gateway Cities" which are targetted for Government.

"The National Development Plan (NDP) 2007-13 sets out a framework for the promotion of regional development through investment in the Gateways/Hubs identified under the National Spatial
    Strategy (NSS) 2002-20."

This Sligo Champion Article is also descriptive of Sligo's score on the Index.

One of the areas that is rated is the perception of Sligo as a gateway city.
    So there is a direct benefir to Sligo for promoting it as a city.

I believe some of the monies for the inner relief road and other work at Carraroe came from Sligo's status as a gateway city.

I these times being a gateway city must be used as a positive. I certainly wouldnt knock the CoCo or anyone else for promoting this and I feel the promotion of Sligo as a city is definately linked to its gateway status which is linked to direct investment.

T runner wrote: »
    There is a plan in place called the Gateway Index:

This is a long document but it identifies Sligo as one of 9 "Gateway Cities" which are targetted for Government.

"The National Development Plan (NDP) 2007-13 sets out a framework for the promotion of regional development through investment in the Gateways/Hubs identified under the National Spatial
    Strategy (NSS) 2002-20."

This Sligo Champion Article is also descriptive of Sligo's score on the Index.

One of the areas that is rated is the perception of Sligo as a gateway city.
    So there is a direct benefir to Sligo for promoting it as a city.

I believe some of the monies for the inner relief road and other work at Carraroe came from Sligo's status as a gateway city.

I these times being a gateway city must be used as a positive. I certainly wouldnt knock the CoCo or anyone else for promoting this and I feel the promotion of Sligo as a city is definately linked to its gateway status which is linked to direct investment.

Don't have time to read the PDF. But surely nobody in Europe will ever see Sligo as a city, so I suppose it's aimed at Irish investers then?

And accoording to the article it can just aswell be called a Gateway town, so why did sligo choose to call it self city?

Really with this population you can't really call yourself a city, not even by Irish standards and certainly not in European standards.

Do I understand it right that Gateway is basicly a development plan?

Love to read the PDF. I study Environmetal issues it will be intesting to read so thanks for that.

Don't have time to read the PDF. But surely nobody in Europe will ever see Sligo as a city, so I suppose it's aimed at Irish investers then?

The original investor is the Irish government-they drew up the gateway plans and have contributed to some infrastructure projects. I guess afterwards when the infrastructure has improved Investors local and foreign would follow. I dont think it being called a city or a town would be a deal breaker for foreign investors.
    And accoording to the article it can just aswell be called a Gateway town, so why did sligo choose to call it self city?

The title is "Gateway City". Sligo is one of 9 gateway cities.

Really with this population you can't really call yourself a city, not even by Irish standards and certainly not in European standards.

You can only judge it by Irish standards. (For example Maastricht would be a village in China.)

The idea would be that the population of Sligo would expand to 50,000 which is a city by Irish population standards. Calling it a city seems to be part of promoting the gateway project locally according to that PDF.
    Do I understand it right that Gateway is basicly a development plan?

Yes thats right. To develop specific strategic urban centres.
    Love to read the PDF. I study Environmetal issues it will be intesting to read so thanks for that

No problem, (I have to read it myself too.)

T runner wrote: »
    T. (For example Maastricht would be a village in China.)

The idea would be that the population of Sligo would expand to 50,000 which is a city by Irish population standards. Calling it a city seems to be part of promoting the gateway project locally according to that PDF.

Yes thats right. To develop specific strategic urban centres.

No problem, (I have to read it myself too.)

Maastricht is a town in Dutch standards ;)(even though people from Maastricht might tell you it is a city). Holland doesn't have big cities in european context.

50.000!? that's almost triple the size!

Deffo need to read that PDF. Wonder how they thought that one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ddoom

And here lays the crux of the issue. I have viewed these documents and although am willing to correction have not found the term “Gateway City” in the documents. The nearest is “Gateway city/town” which is “Gateway” City or Town.

The term is “Gateway” not “Gateway City” and this was used in conjunction with the words City, Town, Urban Area.

Example extract from the Irish National Spatial Strategy

“Sligo, Letterkenny and Dundalk as gateways will be supported by Monaghan and Cavan as hubs.”

You can see that the contentious word “City” is absent.

So calling Sligo a Gateway City is something that was made up by taking the Irish National Spatial Strategy term and twisting it to suit an aspiration. Now please do not take me up wrong, I think that having an aspiration is good but in the past 30 years I have seen Sligo try to improve and make a hames of it time after time. There are many examples which I will not go into here.

I am from Sligo and proud of it, but I despair at what has being happening in my home town over the past 30+ years as it continues to be driven by either greed or incompetence.

And here lays the crux of the issue. I have viewed these documents and although am willing to correction have not found the term “Gateway City” in the documents. The nearest is “Gateway city/town” which is “Gateway” City or Town.

The term is “Gateway” not “Gateway City” and this was used in conjunction with the words City, Town, Urban Area.

Example extract from the Irish National Spatial Strategy

“Sligo, Letterkenny and Dundalk as gateways will be supported by Monaghan and Cavan as hubs.”

You can see that the contentious word “City” is absent.

So calling Sligo a Gateway City is something that was made up by taking the Irish National Spatial Strategy term and twisting it to suit an aspiration. Now please do not take me up wrong, I think that having an aspiration is good but in the past 30 years I have seen Sligo try to improve and make a hames of it time after time. There are many examples which I will not go into here.

I am from Sligo and proud of it, but I despair at what has being happening in my home town over the past 30+ years as it continues to be driven by either greed or incompetence.
    the fact that dynamic urban centres require a distinctive city core;

This is one of the features that a Gateway should possess as indicated early in the Gateway index report.

I dont feel that Sligo's participation in the Gateway project is driven by greed or incompetence.

Negitivity, in my opinion, has been a huge monkey on the back of Sligo's progress.

Advertisement