Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win7 pro vs ultimate

Options
  • 03-02-2010 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hio was thinking of upgrading to win 7 and was wondering is what sort of brucie bonus you get if you go for the ultimate version.

Also can some one explain to me the meaning of the oem licence?can I say 5 years down the line decommission this pc and then re-install it on my new pc or is locked to the original pc(I have the feeling its the latter though!)

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Worse than that: AFAIK the OEM versions are BIOS-locked since Vista. Mobo dies? Get a new mobo... and OS :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Micro$oft being greedy bastards again!!

Although I have never had a mobo go on me yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Yay an excuse to use table function

Taken from wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Features / Availability Professional Ultimate
    Retail, OEM and Volume licensing[27] Retail and OEM licensing
    End of Support[28] 2020.01.14 2015.01.13
    Full Package Retail Pricing US$299.99 US$319.99
    Upgrade Package Retail Pricing US$199.99 US$219.99
    OEM Package Retail Pricing US$139.99 US$179.99
    Maximum physical memory (64-bit mode)[29][30] 192 GB 192 GB
    32-bit and 64-bit versions Both Both
    Maximum physical CPUs supported [31] 2 2
    Backup and Restore Center[32] Yes Yes
    Remote Desktop (Client and Host) Yes Yes
    Home Group (create and join) Yes Yes
    Multiple monitors Yes Yes
    Fast user switching Yes Yes
    Desktop Wallpaper Changeable Yes Yes
    Desktop Window Manager Yes Yes
    Windows Mobility Center Yes Yes
    Windows Aero Yes Yes
    Multi-Touch Yes Yes
    Premium Games Included Disabled by default Yes
    Windows Media Center Yes Yes
    Windows Media Player Remote Media Experience[33] Yes Yes
    Dynamic Disks [34] Yes Yes
    Encrypting File System Yes Yes
    Location Aware Printing Yes Yes
    Presentation Mode Yes Yes
    Group Policy[35] Yes Yes
    Offline Files and Folder redirection[35] Yes Yes
    Windows Server domain joining Yes Yes
    Windows XP Mode[36] Yes Yes
    Software Restriction Policies Yes Yes
    Aero glass remoting[37][38] No Yes
    Windows Media Player multimedia redirection[38] No Yes
    Audio recording over Terminal Services[38] No Yes
    Multi-display Terminal Services[38] No Yes
    Enterprise Search Scopes[35]:130 No Yes
    Federated Search[39] No Yes
    AppLocker Create Policies, But Cannot Enforce Create and Enforce Polices
    BitLocker Drive Encryption No Yes
    BranchCache Distributed Cache No Yes
    DirectAccess No Yes
    Subsystem for Unix-based Applications No Yes
    Multilingual User Interface Pack No Yes
    Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Enhancements[35]:130 No Yes
    Virtual Hard Disk Booting No Yes

I have ultimate myself, cant remember why I picked it over pro version.
    Anyway, there is feck all difference really. I use the computer quite a lot and I dont remember making use of the stuff that ultimate has, but pro doesnt.

And yes the OEM versions are locked to your motherboard. However, sometimes the price difference means OEM's are more economical for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Ive both Windows home (I think) and ultimate on my PC's...I can't see anything diffrent between them

Maybe im just a bit stupid, but i honestly can see what is and isnt on each....

I would just recommend getting Pro, unless you know theres something you really want on ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

I have Win7 Ultimate on an old machine and Professional on a newer one...for what the average user would use them for there's not much difference to the Home version......the only noticeable thing I can see is Virtualisation which I can use but am not bothered

although I think? Home Premium doesn't have the Aero feature which "looks nice" but that's about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

OEM's are tied to hardware, but there is a list of replacement MoBo's.

If your MoBo fails microsoft will allow a replacement from the list, so if ya MoBo fails say 18 months down the track it can be changed and OEM version reactivated through microsoft(have done this repiar myself with OEM versions)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

AFAIK Home Premium does have at least basic Aero; only the low-end versions (unlike Vista its rare to see them in the retail channel at all, even as OEM versions) lack any Aero Glass functionality at all.

Of course Aero is hard on a GPU, as 2D acceleration was binned years ago. Recent increases in demand have made ATi re-introduce it in their drivers but I don't know if there's any modern full acceleration in modern nVidia cards. By comparison the 2D acceleration on an old onboard Geforce 7050LE runs circles around anything current when dealing with lots of 2D primitives (which is easily possible with full Aero + Photoshop at the same time) :eek:

Advertisement