Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need search suggestions for a java gps route onto a map desktop application

Options
  • 03-02-2010 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey all,

I hope i've got the right forum. I want to develop a desktop gps application where a user would align their gps route onto a scanned image of a map. I want to do it for the sport of orienteering specifically. I've being searching the net for information on how to develop this (in java) but i am having little or no luck in starting off. I'm really looking to know how to place gps tracks onto an image. It's being done before so i would imagine some google searches would produce information on this that i can learn from. I'm just looking for you boardsies to suggest search phrases for things i should read up on. I'm just hitting a wall here myself.

Check this web app of what is similar to my idea - http://jatko.vpalvelin.com/~pekvari/java/index.php?javaid=24 . Press the play button at the top left of the window and increase the speed if you want. That is a web app for live tracking. The race was held last summer.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

the open source hosting site sourceforge.net is always a good place to check for this type of thing you may find others trying to do something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It should be easy enough as long as you know the translation from lat and lon to x and y on the image. How big is the image. When it gets large, the curvature of the earth comes into play.

Every time you receive a GPS update, add it to an array of an object like "Position" that contains x and y. Then every time you recieve one, use the drawing/painting facilities of Java to paint an overlay path using the coordinates as paths to each other. x1,y1 to x2 y2 where these are consecutive elements in the array.

Advertisement