Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner occupier - tenant taking advantage

Options
  • 03-02-2010 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi Folks, my tenant of 1 year has decided to help himself to the driveway recently leaving me to park out on the street. I have always used the driveway since i bought the house 5 years ago
    Since he moved in one year ago he has used the street spot right outside the house but since he bought his fancy new boy racer car one month ago the outside spot is not good enough so now parks in what was my parking spot forcing me to park on the street If i was a tenant in an owner occupiers house i wouldnt have the cheek to do this. Am i over reacting or is this out of line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

If there wasn't rules or guidelines about the parking spot from day 1 then you can't really argue, but it is a bit cheeky all of a sudden to claim the main spot after buying his new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

cheeky yes but if you didnt specify when he moved in its essentially fair enough.

you have choices here you can mention it and see how that works out, or you can live with it. Worst case he decides hes moving out, personally I dont see the big deal so you have to park on the street its hardly the sacrafice of the centuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

D3PO has said it all really, mention it to him first and see how it goes. There is always the half truth of telling him that your car must be parked in the driveway in order to be covered by insurance as this is where you have informed them it is left at night (parked in a driveway not on-street parking).

If he is being an ass about it and its starting to cause tension then don't forget you don't have to live with it, your the landlord kick his ass out. In my opinion its your house and your parking spot, lay down the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Hi Folks, my tenant of 1 year has decided to help himself to the driveway recently leaving me to park out on the street. I have always used the driveway since i bought the house 5 years ago
    Since he moved in one year ago he has used the street spot right outside the house but since he bought his fancy new boy racer car one month ago the outside spot is not good enough so now parks in what was my parking spot forcing me to park on the street If i was a tenant in an owner occupiers house i wouldnt have the cheek to do this. Am i over reacting or is this out of line?

If he's lodging with you, you make the rules. Ask him to move it asap. No ifs or buts, If he doesn't like it, ask him to leave. Simple as that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yep, as you are owner occupier you can tell him not to park there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

You might be able to save yourself some trouble by trying the nice approach first. If he has any manners that'll be enough. No point in creating unnecessary hassle if you have to share the house.

If he doesn't get it you might hint to the fact that it's not a request.

If he still doesn't get it, kick him out as soon as legally possible.

IANAL, but if he says something to the effect that you didn't tell him, you could say that he didn't ask either before going out and buying a fancy car that is too pretty to park on the street ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you're the landlord/owner, then you should be able to tell the lodger not to park there. As posted above, be polite but firm initially, and if he haggles a bit, tell him that you need 'off street' parking as otherwise your insurance policy won't be void. If he's really awful about it, then give him adequate notice to leave. You shouldn't have to park on the road while the lodger who doesn't own the property parks in the drive, unless, of course, it's been pre-arranged or agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

It is rude of him not to ask first.... all you can do is try be first home each night or just lock the gate and dont give him a key!!;):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

convert wrote: »
    If you're the landlord/owner, then you should be able to tell the lodger not to park there. As posted above, be polite but firm initially, and if he haggles a bit, tell him that you need 'off street' parking as otherwise your insurance policy won't be void. If he's really awful about it, then give him adequate notice to leave. You shouldn't have to park on the road while the lodger who doesn't own the property parks in the drive, unless, of course, it's been pre-arranged or agreed.

I don't understand why he should have explain himself really. I certainly wouldn't or degrade myself explaining to a "dumbo" like the person the OP has staying with him (because clearly he is if he thinks it's ok). This is an open and shut case. Move it or leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

stepbar wrote: »
    I don't understand why he should have explain himself really. I certainly wouldn't or degrade myself explaining to a "dumbo" like the person the OP has staying with him (because clearly he is if he thinks it's ok). This is an open and shut case. Move it or leave.

Ya, open and shut is right. Your house, your rules. This person knows they are chancing their arm/taking the piss.

If you let them it's the thin end of the wedge. By all means be nice. but leave them in no doubt that it's not up for debate.

If they don't like it, they can find another house to park at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

A number of posts in this thread demonstrate why living with owner occupiers is a nightmare.

Instead of storming in and telling the guy to move his car or sling his hook it might be nice if the OP just politely mentions it. There seems to be absolutely no reason at all to law down the law nor put the tenant in his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Have to agree with sharper. As an owner occupier with lodgers for the past 4 years, the two driveway spaces are treated on a first come/first served basis. I don't differentiate between them and me on parking - they are paying for the privilege.
    You should have made this clear from the outset - and if you had done so, then theres nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

sharper wrote: »
    A number of posts in this thread demonstrate why living with owner occupiers is a nightmare.

Instead of storming in and telling the guy to move his car or sling his hook it might be nice if the OP just politely mentions it. There seems to be absolutely no reason at all to law down the law nor put the tenant in his place.

Totally agree. It's easy for strangers to talk tough in the internet. None of them have to share their home with the guy 7 days a week.

If he has a good relationship with the guy in general, then it makes no sense to ruin that by steaming in all guns blazing, when a few calm well chosen words could achieve the same effect with no aggro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The way I'd approach it is to say to the tennant that you've been parking in the driveway for the last five years. If he wants access to the space then he'll have to pay an extra rental fee. Either he'll pay up or you get the space back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

stepbar wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't or degrade myself explaining

>sigh<

the whole 'problem' has arisen due to a lack of communication. And the OP wants to solve it without communicating because his lodger should know that the drive is his.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Judging from your reaction to something so trivial it seems that this is just the tip of the iceberg, and you're having other issues with your tenant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

What an asshole landlord. I rent a house but all of it, no landlord here.
    If they asked me to keep the driveway clear for them, I would tell to go to hell and move house. Plenty of empty houses around now so good luck to him.

You should be happy for the money these days and not try to act like some angry muppet who has rules. To hell with you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What an asshole landlord. I rent a house but all of it, no landlord here.
    If they asked me to keep the driveway clear for them, I would tell to go to hell and move house. Plenty of empty houses around now so good luck to him.

You should be happy for the money these days and not try to act like some angry muppet who has rules. To hell with you.

Temporary holiday from posting here.
    If you're not willing to be respectful towards other forum members, and refute posts without attacking other posters- you can have a holiday from posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 hangover_ie_ie

well i never said anything... Let him have his drive way.
    In turn he moved out while i was away for 4 weeks. Still owes rent and bills. And took with Him "by accident" 300 euros worth of furnishings. I rang him about it and he Didnt realise i wanted the Furnishings????!!!!!?????
    2 lamps
    Satellite box
    Memory foam mattress
    Portable tv dvd combo
    He will return them shortly just waiting on delivery driver !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

sounds like your better off, it did not come across like as a good relationship anyway. I'd advise with the next lodger you have it in black and white what the rules are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Fecking hell- you're well shot of him.
    Better luck next time.

My God and i even invited the creep for xmas dinner as his family were all in Latvia and he had no-one here. Well i tell ya i have my rental agreement and terms and conditions made out for next person. I wont be getting burned again. Ah yeah soft approach as usual i took doesnt work. See a weakness take advantage! Takes for advice lads and ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I wont be getting burned again. Ah yeah soft approach as usual i took doesnt work. See a weakness take advantage! Takes for advice lads and ladies
    Sorry to hear that. Have been renting out rooms in my house for 4 years now - and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly come through the door! You really don't know until they're in what your getting! Its harder in this scenario as your living in the same house - so people are likely to take liberties. It has to be tough love when it comes to things that are important like rent and deposits. On the rent side of things, one thing that helps a lot is making an arrangement from day 1 for a standing order. If they cancel it, you know that they are planning a move. You also get notice as they will do this a little bit before the time. And you don't have to be always asking people for money.
    Then again, some people are 100% - no hassle, no bitching or moaning, no problems with bills...

The other thing is getting rules set down from the first day - I always regret it if i have forgotten to mention something important at the initial viewing - even though I know the flip side is that nobody wants to come across as a tyrant...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Just have to put it down to experience....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

he bought his fancy new boy racer car
    Still owes rent and bills. And took with Him "by accident" 300 euros worth of furnishings.
    If he acts like a scumbag, treat him like a scumbag. Change the lock to the front door, and look into filing a report with the Gardai about his thievery?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

when i was renting rooms in my house, it was made very clear from the time i had viewings that the driveway was mine, and they more then welcome to use it if i was away over night. i never had a problem but i was really lucky with my housemates and got some friends out of it.

better luck next time:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

well i never said anything... Let him have his drive way.
    In turn he moved out while i was away for 4 weeks. Still owes rent and bills. And took with Him "by accident" 300 euros worth of furnishings. I rang him about it and he Didnt realise i wanted the Furnishings????!!!!!?????
    2 lamps
    Satellite box
    Memory foam mattress
    Portable tv dvd combo
    He will return them shortly just waiting on delivery driver !

Whoah, I'm an owner occupier renting out rooms and I'd be fuming if this happened.

What a chancer if he thought he could "accidently" take all that stuff!

I don't want to worry you or be paranoid but if he's this cheeky, it might be a good idea to change the locks. I really wouldn't trust this guy.

On the upside I never had a problem with anyone in the house, just the luck of the draw.

Stuck between rock and hardplace he scarpered after i came back from 4 weeks abroad. So 4 weeks rent and bills from january. So if i get guards involved i get stung for the bones of 700 euro. But i tell ya lesson learned :D SOrry i didint reply later boards doesnt email me when someone posts so ill have to adjust my settings!
    PS he took the stuff back in a van not a bother on him All cool about it like it was no big deal . Some neck ! lol

Advertisement