Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart: Broken data usage software

• 03-02-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=3340&page=6

Quote from smart support forum:
    stephen Administrator

if this sums up to over 170gig

The limit is 170000 MB it is ( 170000 MB / 1024 ) 166 GB real GB limit

My last 2 days summary ( I have screen shot ):

2dejscenz.th.png

.......day 1 ...........day 2...data usage software
    (down: 21911 + upl: 741) + (down: 12288 + upl: 463) = 35403 MB / 1024 = 34.57 GB

2 days from modem software and I know / remember what I download ( how many GB )
    upl: 769 MB / 1024 = 0.75 GB + downl: 31.6GB = 32.35 GB

34.57 - 32.35 = 2.22 GB too much on data usage software

every 32.3 real GB you download, smart give + 2.22 smile.gif

it give you 5x2.22 = 11 GB less on limit

so real GB limit is 155 GB (166 - 11) not 170 GB

Quote admin answer
    I'm not getting into a debate on kilo/mega/giga vs kibi/mebi/gibi (1000 vs 1024).

The data is measured in the decimal format as defined by the International System of Units.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

Stephen.

All people working with computers know: 1 Gb = 1024 MB,
    but people from smart don't :( sad but true :)

What do you think about it ?

beztytuunm.th.png

But I don't know when they start throttle. On 170000 MB - 166 GB level or 170 GB - 174080 MB level.

I know the graph with data usage is in MB. Main problem for me is after I dowloaded 18 GB I see 19 GB on graph data usage :(

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just to put this into context care to post links to the threads your quoting from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

HDfan wrote: »
    [url]All people working with computers know: 1 Gb = 1024 MB,
    but people from smart don't :( sad but true :)

What do you think about it ?
    [/url]

I think you should actually read the linked article and you might learn something that would save you a lot of :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

In terms of memory, that is true, but for storage, it is not. So hard disks, CDs, DVDs, Bluray, HD DVD, etc and data limits, are all calculated in terms of decimal SI units.

You asked the question, Smart answered it. I don't see why you have an issue here. If they refused to answer, or lied about it, then yes, but that's not what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

Sadly, all people working with computers know that when purchasing storage the decimal gigabyte is used.

YES, it's technically a stupid way of measuring things, and I would respect Smart more for using 'real' gigabytes, but the decimal gigabyte is by far the most common measure of capacity.

Back when I was with Smart, they synced your DSL about 15% faster than the product you were on and then rate-limited to the advertised bandwidth, so you got what was advertised. That earned Smart points in my book - and also probably saved them money on support calls, as you could go on a speedtest with '10 meg' broadband and actually get 10, so less complaints.

I do think it's a pity Smart have gone they way they have... their cap does not compete well with UPC/Magnet so they have relegated themselves to 3rd choice automatically for heavy users. UPC's extreme option is now apparently 100 euro, so there is a gap in the market at the 85 euro price point... If I was in a flat sharing my internet with a number of heavy users, we'd go for it. And I'm sure the extra 13 euro would buy sufficient bandwidth for say a 400/500Gb cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HDfan

I reset my modem at midnight and now I see:

1202smart1i5gbcen.th.png

modem 13.9 + 0.93 = 14.83

data usage 15.2 + 1.10 = 16.30

extra add on data usage = 1.5 GB ( 10 % more )

Data usage is broken, and real limits is 155 GB not 170 GB :(

Customers, how do you feel with this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I reset my modem at midnight and now I see:

1202smart1i5gbcen.th.png

modem 13.9 + 0.93 = 14.83

data usage 15.2 + 1.10 = 16.30

extra add on data usage = 1.5 GB ( 10 % more )

Data usage is broken, and real limits is 155 GB not 170 GB :(

Customers, how do you feel with this?

So far your the only one complaining and who's to say your not misquoting/miss-representing your usage when compared to the usage checker
    ?
    So now your saying the real limit is 155GB previously your stated 166GB...which is it? Is it both or are you just confused?

If your this unhappy about smart then why haven't you canceled your service, continued complaining about a company you continue to remain with makes no sense and you have previously stated that the Smart forum admin got things wrong but yet your the one who got things wrong, how do you feel about this? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=3340&page=6

2 days from modem software and I know / remember what I download ( how many GB )
    upl: 769 MB / 1024 = 0.75 GB + downl: 31.6GB = 32.35 GB

34.57 - 32.35 = 2.22 GB too much on data usage software

every 32.3 real GB you download, smart give + 2.22 smile.gif

it give you 5x2.22 = 11 GB less on limit

so real GB limit is 155 GB (166 - 11) not 170 GB

he does say 155 to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HDfan

Cabaal:

So now your saying the real limit is 155GB previously your stated 166GB

166 Gb because 170 000 MB is not 170 GB it is 166 GB.

and 155 GB real data usage because, after you download 155 GB smart data usage show 170 GB. They add extra 10 % to ypur downloaded data.
    Cabaal:

If your this unhappy about smart then why haven't you canceled your service

I don't need new 12 months contract with new IPS :)

I just try to show how smart is lie customers.
    So far your the only one complaining

Maybe only I care this?
    I see and write every file I downloaded I look on modem data and it is correct, but on the end of day smart data usage software show 10 % more. Today after midnight I will post next screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

and 155 GB real data usage because, after you download 155 GB smart data usage show 170 GB. They add extra 10 % to ypur downloaded data.

That is probably due to overheads on ADSL.
    I just try to show how smart is lie customers

I am a smarttelecom customer as well and you might want to revise the above statement.
    They don't lie, but their communication to the customer has ceartainly gone to the dogs in the past half year (and that is one of the reasons why I will cancel my subscription with them next month when my 12 month are up).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 skinheadsniper

i think you need to look this up again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement