Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy clothes here or in Oz

Options
  • 03-02-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

Hi, heading to Melbourne (and then up the east coast) on Monday for three months. I need to get some summer clothes for over there. Are boardies, t-shirts etc. cheaper to get over there or should I try source some here first? I'm thinking over there due to end of season vs. start of season, summer clothing more ubiquitous over there etc.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

wait until you get there. clothes, even branded clothes are much cheaper in australia than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

That's funny, because as an Aussie living in Ireland I find the clothes much cheaper here!

In Melb & Syd at the moment, most clothes shops will be having sales trying to get rid of their summer stock in preparation for autumn clothes, so you should be able to pick up some bargins however the range and sizes will be limited.

What summer stuff do you have left over from the summer just gone? I know it wasn't a great summer but surely you must have some t-shirts, shorts etc that you can take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Buy them in Thailand on the way. Clothes are a ripoff in Oz. Cept maybe in Rivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Gknit

I know my friend who's moved over there went crazy in Penney's last time she was home. She said it's much more difficult to get basics at a decent price over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RedNiamhy

I find clothes very expensive here in Oz compared to at home in Ireland (especially underwear!). Try to get what you can in Pennys or Dunnes or even H&M before you come out. Target is supposed to be the cheap place here to get clothes but it isn't cheap compared to what you can get at home but it is good quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

KMart is pretty cheap, kinda like dunnes, I bought a few casual tShirts from there, do me grand

also just jeans have offers on tShirts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 americanpie

Impossible to get decent jeans in Oz, there nearly all skinny jeans, even the bootcut ones, unless you want to splash out $280 in G Star

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Impossible to get decent jeans in Oz, there nearly all skinny jeans, even the bootcut ones, unless you want to splash out $280 in G Star

Indeed. The ma is sendin me over some of Jack and Jones best this week. In general I prefer the clothes here and find them quite economical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'm another Rivers enthuseast, their Jeans are the most comfortable things EVAR.

wouldnt be too bothered about the shirts tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

you can actualy order stuff from topshop / topman and International Delivery is only £7.50 for whatever you order. I think I might order some jeans off them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Definitely cheaper here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Cool, thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

clothes in Australia are crap and expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Daithio2 wrote: »
    clothes in Australia are crap and expensive

Billabong?
    Ripcurl?

Expensive is true though.

I refuse to step into Rivers as the ads they put out are mind numbingly dull...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 eggtop_r

Clothes defo cheaper at home dan here..esp good brands..get urself into d sales if still on..

eggtop_r wrote: »
    Clothes defo cheaper at home dan here..esp good brands..get urself into d sales if still on..

Mate please dont use text speak your whole keyboard begs for equal attention.

Please dont take this as a dig at you personnally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 eggtop_r

Hard habit to get out of!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Two pairs of shorts, one adidas, one puma.... $88. I thought travelling light and buying here would make sense but not to be obviously

Two pairs of shorts, one adidas, one puma.... $88. I thought travelling light and buying here would make sense but not to be obviously
    two words K & Mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

hi,

the poster who said Thailand is great for clothes, well it is but you get what you pay for and after one decent wash the clothes fall to pieces, also the sizes are completely random and I found no comfort in the clothes at all after one wash.

when I arrived in Australia from Thailand i was happy to bin all I bought there.

Few points about Australia clothes:

Underwear very expensive
    Boot Cut Jeans hard to get and expensive once you can find them, David Jones do have them though.

In Saying that, T-shirts, hoodies,boardies, shorts and pretty much all the designer labels are much much cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement