Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atrosity in Tipp

Options
  • 03-02-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

:(I have committed the ultimate atrosity...driving home this evening...I live in the countryside....I knocked down the most beautiful little dog, she died in my jacket, I am devastated as I love animals. Worst that what has happened is that she was owned by four little boys, they were hysterical. I dont know what to do, the little mite ran out in front of the car. How am I ever going to make it up to these kids. Im sick over what has happened. Any one any advise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

1) Just be glad it wasn't one of the kids

then remember, legally and morally, the owner/keeper of the animal should have ensured it's safety and kept it of the road.

Do not offer any form of compo to the parents or the kids, it was their responsibility to keep their dog safe, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Just get a replacement dog for the kids, they'll feel better when they have a new one to play with, or whatever it is they do. Your under no obligation to do so but it'd be a nice touch. These things happen.

PS I think the word Mishap in the title might be more appropriate than Atrosity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It was not your fault Mazdoll,try not to beat yourself up over it, the youngsters will get over it in time.as Bogger77 said be thankfull it wasen't one of the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Sorry to hear it Mazdoll, simple accident and it wasn't a human. Relax on the atrocity. I got a tad bit of a scare looking through the forum! But take it easy, could've happened to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mazdoll

Thanks for all the replies, you'd get some shock when it happens and I know it would be worst if it was one of the kids. Going to have my radar on going up that road. Anyone know where I can get a little puppy terrier.

• Advertisement

Mazdoll wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get a little puppy terrier.

OP, I'm not 100% sure that's the soundest course of action after reading Bogger77's post several posts up:
    Bogger77 wrote: »
    then remember, legally and morally, the owner/keeper of the animal should have ensured it's safety and kept it of the road.

Do not offer any form of compo to the parents or the kids, it was their responsibility to keep their dog safe, not yours.

But it's your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

OP, I'm not 100% sure that's the soundest course of action after reading Bogger77's post several posts up.

WTF is wrong with you people?! I thought we were beyond all that now that we're pi$$ poor again!

The legalities and moralities are nothing to kids who have lost their pet. The OP knows it's the owners responsibility to control the dog, she also knows it wasn't her fault the dog took flight out under her car.

It's humanity we should be preaching in this case not morality. I say go for it Mazdoll, get a new pup, bring a smile to their faces and move on.

WTF is wrong with you people?! I thought we were beyond all that now that we're pi$$ poor again!

The legalities and moralities are nothing to kids who have lost their pet. The OP knows it's the owners responsibility to control the dog, she also knows it wasn't her fault the dog took flight out under her car.

It's humanity we should be preaching in this case not morality. I say go for it Mazdoll, get a new pup, bring a smile to their faces and move on.

Relax. I'm just saying that's what I think. Don't just quote me ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

I know it's a terrible thing to happen but tbh I wouldn't go replacing the dog. That's up to the parents. Maybe they don't want another dog so soon as kids are upset, maybe they just don't want another dog, maybe they want a different breed etc.... Send the kids a game or sweets or something but never buy other people's kids animals. Maybe even chat with the parents and offer to go halves with them on new puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

some time ago one of our cats had kittens and mrspopebenny16 reversed over one and killed it. this freaked out the mother somewhat who took flight with the surviving three kittens. she got killed by a car around the corner and the other three rambled off. The mother cats brother also did likewise. They were rescued and rehoused but not before i found out that they had been and asked for them back i got the brother but the organisation who rehoused them told me that they had homes for the kittens and that was fair enough. However I was asked to foot the bill for vaccination and ect and i did in the end (cost around €300 ) but i got the brother cat home and then he was run over by.....mrspopebenny16 the next year .....

now at no time did we tell our three kids who adored those cats and kittens what actually happened because it would have destroyed the children and neither should you. What you can do is talk to the parents and suggest that you will help them get another puppy. They will probably says not to worry, you and i know these things happen and you are not to blame.*****

what is important is that as a neighbour and friend you have owned up and they may appreciate that more than you know.

***** with my legal hat on, if this was a horse or cattle or sheep the owner would in law be responsible to to the damage to your car same would apply to a dog which has strayed due to the fault of its owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

some time ago one of our cats had kittens and mrspopebenny16 reversed over one and killed it. this freaked out the mother somewhat who took flight with the surviving three kittens. she got killed by a car around the corner and the other three rambled off. The mother cats brother also did likewise. They were rescued and rehoused but not before i found out that they had been and asked for them back i got the brother but the organisation who rehoused them told me that they had homes for the kittens and that was fair enough. However I was asked to foot the bill for vaccination and ect and i did in the end (cost around €300 ) but i got the brother cat home and then he was run over by.....mrspopebenny16 the next year .....

now at no time did we tell our three kids who adored those cats and kittens what actually happened because it would have destroyed the children and neither should you. What you can do is talk to the parents and suggest that you will help them get another puppy. They will probably says not to worry, you and i know these things happen and you are not to blame.*****

what is important is that as a neighbour and friend you have owned up and they may appreciate that more than you know.

***** with my legal hat on, if this was a horse or cattle or sheep the owner would in law be responsible to to the damage to your car same would apply to a dog which has strayed due to the fault of its owner.

Buddy you have seriously got to get the wife out of the car before she starts reversing over bigger things.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mazdoll

Update: Four little lads have a new dog all is well in the land of country roads.
    For Karma my kids have now convinced me of the need to get a new doggie addition to our family. Thanks for all the posts, Atrosity is over, was a mishap, 4 little boys happy again and new addition soon to arrive in our house. All is good in the world again......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

just make sure you dont kill that dog too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Buddy you have seriously got to get the wife out of the car before she starts reversing over bigger things.

yeah, like me.... near miss the other day, you would swear she was aiming for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Mazdoll wrote: »
    :(I have committed the ultimate atrosity...driving home this evening...I live in the countryside....I knocked down the most beautiful little dog, she died in my jacket, I am devastated as I love animals. Worst that what has happened is that she was owned by four little boys, they were hysterical. I dont know what to do, the little mite ran out in front of the car. How am I ever going to make it up to these kids. Im sick over what has happened. Any one any advise

I understand your guilt. But you have to understand what you did was an accident. What had happened was not in your control. Forgive yourself thats all you have to do.

The four boys will get over it and see it as an accident in time. If you feel you need to rid the guilt physically. Send them a card with just a few simple words and keep it short as to how you felt and that you wish them well in their future. Something along that line. Something small is all you have to do, because the thought will go along way to recovering their pain and of course your guilt.

We are human and we make mistakes all the time. We have to allow ourselves understand this. We forget alot in the moments of life.

Advertisement