Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF is feedforward?

Options
  • 03-02-2010 8:40pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Up there.. a sub forum of feedback (geddit?? no, no one else did either).

Its for people who want a say in the future policys of Boards.

It will NOT be for things that have happened on Boards.

It will open sometime next week.

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I got it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Scrumpy Jack

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I got it :P
    Well done :D

LOL at the person who thanked you for it though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Forward...Back...Forward...Back said I'd like to know where, you got the notion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

cringe-worthy name but a nice idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

cringe-worthy name but a nice idea.
    If you think the name is bad wait until you hear the title track.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If you're angling at a joke concerning playing feedforward backwards and hearing satanic verses hidden in the subtext, I think you're hearing feedback.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Feedback is deef
    Feedforward is feed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Back, back and forth and forth
    As we go...

Can we call it the Gravel Pit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I don't see it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

DeV wrote:
    It will open sometime next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

DeVore wrote:
    Up there.. a sub forum of feedback

Implications that it is "up there" to be seen...You do know forums can be created, visible and yet unopen (as in locked for new posts), right? Thanks though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Silverfish wrote: »
    As we go...

I'm getting motion sickness..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Its a good idea if the communities ideas will actually be listened to. A bad one if its purpose is to make the users feel like they are being listened to, before eventually being ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Can I be the mod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Tallon wrote: »
    Can I be the mod?

Having a centred sig rules you out. Sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Having a centred sig rules you out. Sorry :(

Why, whatever are you talking about ? :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Quazzie wrote: »
    Its a good idea if the communities ideas will actually be listened to. A bad one if its purpose is to make the users feel like they are being listened to, before eventually being ignored.

But we only have about a week to discuss this future change in feedback before that option is gone for ever and we'll have to post in some strange unfamiliar forum. I think we need far more time to discuss this rationally, as we would all like to have a view as to how boards goes forward, particularly, as it happens, in the area of discussing how boards goes forward going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Gordon wrote: »
    If you're angling at a joke concerning playing feedforward backwards and hearing satanic verses hidden in the subtext, I think you're hearing feedback.

Have you ever considered having a go at writing the sequel to Ulysses? :pac:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'll stand on our record on that point.

Its going to take a while to get opened because I have an awful lot going on in my life at the moment (and little of it is good :( ) but we'll get there.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Implications that it is "up there" to be seen...You do know forums can be created, visible and yet unopen (as in locked for new posts), right? Thanks though ;)

It's a bit like that show Flash Forward. If you can't see it now it means you'll be sitebanned by the time it's open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

bump/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Tallon wrote: »
    Can I be the mod?
    I think You have to be invited to be a mod. You can not put your name forward. Thats my interpretation of the rules anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Not so much what the frig, as where the frig is FeedForward...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

If you can't see it you probably don't have access, are you part of any subsersive sub-sector of boards posters, there is a thread in feedforward on this and how they are to be delt with. If not the eliminators said something about ex-mods apparently they can be an issue to the smooth running of "THE PROJECT".

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Currently a bunch of mods, cmods, admins and users are kicking about exactly how the whole system will operate. Its taking longer then I expected but its all good stuff. Once we have some ground rules down, we're going to make it publically readable. There will be a publically writeable forum (Lets call is FeedForward Public) for everyone to leave input on future direction and there will be a readable but NOT writeable forum (Feedforward) where those issues will be addressed transparently.
    Something similar to the debating chamber system we have.

Feedback will remain as it is at the moment, this whole system is only for future policy debates.

DeV.

Why the need to have a publicly readable but not writeable sub forum on boards policy. Boards policies can be discussed freely under the current system, so what will this restricted system offer except added bureaucracy. Who will this forum benefit and why.

Because it turns into a soapbox for axegrinders and the usual agenda pushers. There will be a public area for public input too. This isnt a restriction of what was have already, this is an addition to it.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Because it turns into a soapbox for axegrinders and the usual agenda pushers. There will be a public area for public input too. This isnt a restriction of what was have already, this is an addition to it.

DeV.

Additions can be subtractions. If I'm to understand you correctly, boards policies will be discussed both here and on this new forum. Then why would anyone use the new forum with it's restrictions? I'd hasard a guess that the new forum will be the only one that grains a reply from management. I've no idea where this incredible fear of discourse comes from.

What exactly is wrong with soap-boxing, axe-grinding and agenda pushing? Everyone has an agenda here, If the soccer moderators post something on boards.ie policies it's logical to think they're going to be trying to influence things in a way which improves matters for their little community. If I make a comment I'm certainly going to be working my own angle on things, if wibbs makes a comment maybe thats in line with the "greater transparency" agenda. Where's the problem exactly?

As it is, this forum is frankly dying a death. People don't post here because there is a perception of not being listened to. Thats your problem, this proposal might make things more orderly and "professional" but it won't redress that. It's a solution looking for a problem.

• Advertisement

Ironically Boston, I didnt make this decision, I left this to a large group of users. This was their (unanimous afairc) decision. Personally, I completely agree with it. Where you get this notion that we've always discussed future policy here is beyond me. Does the phrase benevolent dictatorship ring any bells?? This is the beginnings of making decision making more consensus driven.

DeV.

Advertisement