Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dog from Ashton

Options
  • 03-02-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I know there has been loads of threads about getting a second dog and I have read through them but just to ask about our case...

We have a small Yorkie - Tilly - will be 2 in April. She is queen of the castle so am unsure about getting another dog. I would love one, as would the boyfriend. My sister had her dogs home at Christmas and Tilly got on so well with the female Molly. Seeing them get on so well makes me want one even more. We have had our friends dog to stay for weekends and everything was grand.

Anyway I have seen a dog that I would like to rehome from Ashton Pound - out date 7th Feb so need to get this sorted. Boyfriend is in Dublin now and will go and see this dog tomorrow.

If this works out, fingers crossed, how do I go about introducing them seeing as my BF will be home tomorrow night with the dog (hopefully) so cant really do it gradually as she will have to sleep here tomorrow night. Tilly is a sweetheart but very territorial over the house and us. She will be fine after a while but dont want to terrify the new dog either.

Am I rushing into this? Hate the thoughts of the dog being in the pound and I know I cant help them all...

Thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

I think the best thing is to introduce them on neutral ground. We got our second dog from Dogs Trust so they had met 3 times before we brought Mina home and that probably made a big difference but this is what we did anyway:

When we brought her home I walked her away from the house then my partner brought Truman around to meet us. We walked around the estate together and then brought them back to the house. We let Truman go in first and Mina followed. They got on pretty well. A few little fights but nothing we couldn't handle. I thought one of us would have to stay up incase they had a fight during the night but they were getting on so well that I just left the bedroom door open so that I could hear them....just incase.

Good luck and I hope Ashton don't let you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

namurt wrote: »
    Good luck and I hope Ashton don't let you down.

thanks for the info...what do you mean by the above?

I dont know much about Ashton...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Tomorrow is the 4th. The pound is legally obliged to keep a stray for 5 days, if the out date is the 7th then I can't see your BF taking the dog tomorrow. Or did I misunderstand?

I didnt realise, I thought the out date was the 7th as in has to be out by that date not that you cant take them until the 7th.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Forgot to mention what Egar said so you have until the 7th to wait anyway. As for them letting you down, I don't mean to sound blunt but there's plenty of threads on here complaining about how they treat people so I don't want this to decend into another. If you search in the Animal Welfare section you'll get an idea of what I was referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If a dog is in Ashton, they have 5 days to be claimed by its owner after this (referred to as "date out") the pound can legally put the dog to sleep or rehome it with another owner. If someone goes up to Ashton interested in a dog, they will need to fill in an application and the pound will assess them to make sure they are a suitable home. Usually, but sometimes later, the dog will be given to a good home on its date out.

OP - if your boyfriend goes up to the pound before the "date out" he will need to fill in forms and will have to walk away without the dog. He will then be contacted (or he can contact the pound himself - usually the best option to find a definitive answer) if he is the most suitable home for the dog. If a better home comes along the dog goes to them.

A very big confusion that seems to happen is with regards to Dogs In Distress - they have no say over who the pound homes dogs to, only dogs that they have taken out of the pound and placed in foster care.

thanks everyone, I have never dealt with a pound before. my BF went to see the dog today, lovely little girl but she is about 10 years old and told she was more suited to a house as an only dog.

will keep an eye out again.

thanks again.

Advertisement